Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car Died
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
pepsiman
On my way home I rolled up to a stop sign and when I could I started to pull out. As I let the clutch out, the car acted like I killed it, but when I went to start it back up it acted almost like the battery had been disconnected. Nothing would come on like it had no battery. Power finally returned and my clock and radio had both reset. When everything finally decided to come back on it started right up and ran perfect the rest of the way home. I did a quick look over on the side of the road and my terminals where attached good and fuses where fine. Any ideas on what happened or where to start looking tomorrow?
Mstoochn
QUOTE (pepsiman @ Jan 11, 2010 - 10:15 PM) *
On my way home I rolled up to a stop sign and when I could I started to pull out. As I let the clutch out, the car acted like I killed it, but when I went to start it back up it acted almost like the battery had been disconnected. Nothing would come on like it had no battery. Power finally returned and my clock and radio had both reset. When everything finally decided to come back on it started right up and ran perfect the rest of the way home. I did a quick look over on the side of the road and my terminals where attached good and fuses where fine. Any ideas on what happened or where to start looking tomorrow?

Yep... examine every inch of your wiring harness, as well as your grounds, ill hope u dont still have factory grounds. if u do, replace them (batt/alt/intake mani grounds)
Mstoochn
double post ugh.
GriffGirl
Sounds like a bad ground to me too, unless your alternator is going out, which is also possible. I'd take my ass to Autozone and have the alt checked.
pepsiman
car messed up again today. on my way to sub way the radio would go off then come back on a few seconds later. this may or may not be related to the engine problems, but it has never done that before. car otherwise runs fine to subway and when i tried starting the car after leaving subway it would not start. completely dead, radio, clock, gauges, everything dead like no battery was in the car. then all this stuff would come back on but when i turned the key to start it would just click, like the starter was going bad. sometimes my gauges and everything else would go blank again and then begin working again. I unhooked the "-" terminal for a few seconds to let the ecu reset and when I hooked it back up car started and ran perfect. Does this point to the ecu? Do they go "bad"?

To be honest, i haven't given the wiring harness a thorough look over but I did look at it and seen nothing obvious. I dont think it would be the alternator since the battery seems to be charged fine and when it is allowed to it starts the car fine and does so quickly. I also ruled out the clutch start safety switch. I tried to start the car with it out and with it in and there was two different reactions from the car, so that is working properly.
Bitter
sounds like bad battery cables or terminals.
mgnt232
I would have to say check all your connections, this happened to me, except when I was driving my gauges were flipping and it would die and come back and then die (kinda scary) but I also looked at my connections and I have all 1/0 gauge wiring, so I thought it was good, but then realized one wire was a little loose and would come undone and go back in a little on its own with bumps.
But in general it sounds like a bad connection somehwere
pepsiman
Thanks for the replies guys. My terminals should be good, I just cleaned them and put the anti-corrosion stuff on them. I know it has got to be something simple somewhere. Hopefully I can make it home tomorrow from school to my garage at home and give it another good look-over.
bmj67
check all the grounds not just the terminals at the batt
mgnt232
Yeah that would be a good thin to check. (idk how much you know, this is pretty basic but ill tell you) Check the ground from the bat to your engine, then from your eninge to the frame/body ground of the car. make sure nothing is loose there as it can come loosened and do what your explaining
QUOTE (bmj67 @ Feb 26, 2010 - 12:54 PM) *
check all the grounds not just the terminals at the batt

Bigblock
Also, here's an easy check--
check the water levels in the battery cells.
If any are low, top them off with DISTILLED water,
then head over to AutoZone or somewhere they test batts & alts for free.

Just an idea--- good luck!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.