Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best oil for the 7A-FE? And mixing oil?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
HectortheRican
I'd like to know what's the recommended oil for my 7A-FE because I'm getting ready to change it for the first time since I got the car a couple months ago. Also, is it safe to mix oil?
96stgreendemon
QUOTE (HectortheRican @ Jan 21, 2010 - 6:18 PM) *
I'd like to know what's the recommended oil for my 7A-FE because I'm getting ready to change it for the first time since I got the car a couple months ago. Also, is it safe to mix oil?

personaly i like the castrol gtx high mileage, i was burning a quart of oil every week using conventional, but now its a quart maybe every 6 months lol, not sure about mixing though
Bitter
the cap on mine says 10w-30, but i run 5w-30 with no apparent problems. mixing what? weights? brands? types?
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 21, 2010 - 6:26 PM) *
the cap on mine says 10w-30, but i run 5w-30 with no apparent problems. mixing what? weights? brands? types?

By mixing I mean just oil in general. Because I don't know what kind of oil the guy who had it before me used, and it doesn't actually NEED an oil change at the moment, so I was wondering whether I'd have to change the oil anyway so it would be all the same oil or if I can just get a quart and add some oil in until it's time to change it
Spider77
You really should have no problem with mixing oil. Its not like mixing two different brands will cause your engine to seize and explode.
CelicaST_CALI
i run 10-30 mobile 1 full synthetic biggrin.gif
HectortheRican
QUOTE (CelicaST_CALI @ Jan 21, 2010 - 7:17 PM) *
i run 10-30 mobile 1 full synthetic biggrin.gif

Do you run it all year round?

QUOTE (Spider77 @ Jan 21, 2010 - 7:06 PM) *
You really should have no problem with mixing oil. Its not like mixing two different brands will cause your engine to seize and explode.

Thanks man, that's all I needed. Now to find the right oil..
zonz540
10w-30 Mobil1 Full Synthetic for High Mileage... Mobil1 was burning through my engine too fast, different viscosity slowed it down significantly.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (zonz540 @ Jan 21, 2010 - 11:34 PM) *
10w-30 Mobil1 Full Synthetic for High Mileage... Mobil1 was burning through my engine too fast, different viscosity slowed it down significantly.

That's actually the oil that I just went and bought. Good choice?
CelicaST_CALI
yea i run it 365....im in cali so the weather isnt to bad..goes from about 20-105 degrees hahaha
zonz540
Im in Utah and the weather here goes from hot to cold. 10w-30 has the best range for where im at. I run it year round. If you live down where it never gets below 50 degrees, 5w-30 might work the same/better. Its lower viscosity and might burn up faster if youve got high mileage, though.
Espo
I think I'll switch to 10w-30 then...been using 5w and it eats up a quart every 3000.

Also, we are talking about 7a-fe engines right? Or does it matter? I've never had a GT so I don't know.
HectortheRican
Yeah it's about 7AFE. It goes from about 15 at the worst to 105 at the worst in TX, so I think I'll be good with 10W-30
zonz540
The High Mileage stuff preserves the weight of the oil and ups the viscosity. Its a bit thicker and it wont seep through your engine and out your exhaust as much... Keeps it in the pan longer.
trdproven
royal purple FTW
stephen_lee
QUOTE (HectortheRican @ Jan 21, 2010 - 6:55 PM) *
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 21, 2010 - 6:26 PM) *

By mixing I mean just oil in general. Because I don't know what kind of oil the guy who had it before me used, and it doesn't actually NEED an oil change at the moment, so I was wondering whether I'd have to change the oil anyway so it would be all the same oil or if I can just get a quart and add some oil in until it's time to change it

First thing you should ALWAYS to when you buy a car, do all regular maint. plugs, wires, cap rotor, oil/filter...

i use 5-30 Mobil1 full synth in my 7A and it does well year round
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.