Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about a "cat back"
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mgnt232
So about a year ago I bought a magnaflow res and muffler. And I brought them to a local shop to get it put on expecting to be done right. But they used the same 1.75" piping that was there.... the magnaflow is all 2.25"
Now i know that a catback is not too much of a performance upgrade, but wouldnt it work better with 2.25" piping from the cat back?
They said they dont bend pipe there (which they dont) but I was at the auto store today and saw some flexible piping, is this stuff junk or would it work? or doesn anyone know what I can do?
I can put pics up of what they did... stock exhaust - manifold - cat - magnaflow res - stock pipe - magnaflow muffler
I know it sounds dumb lol... im not like retarded lol I just dont know anything about "custom work". i went to votech in HS and I know a bit...just not about "custom work".. like i put in my own engine, just dont know how to go about this work
yarik83
I am normally very polite. but for love of jesus, mother teresa, ghandi, buddah or whatever else is our there (yes even extra terrestials)..

STOP MAKING NEW THREADS FOR EVERY QUESTION THAT YOU HAVE.
POST THEM ALL INTO ONE THREAD..
mgnt232
Sorryy! I put up delete post on all my recent ones, they just have not gotten deleted yet, and I just keep coming up with more questions and dont want to interrupt what im trying to figure out in the other posts. do you have an answer for me though??
thanks-
QUOTE (yarik83 @ Feb 3, 2010 - 8:04 PM) *
I am normally very polite. but for love of jesus, mother teresa, ghandi, buddah or whatever else is our there (yes even extra terrestials)..

STOP MAKING NEW THREADS FOR EVERY QUESTION THAT YOU HAVE.
POST THEM ALL INTO ONE THREAD..

yarik83
take your car to any muffler shop and tell them to build you cat back system.
trdproven
get it done right 2.25 piping or 2.5, or else your money is wasted.
mgnt232
yeah thats kinda what i had thought... i just got to find a place around me that will do it, cause there are not really any "custom" places that will do anything but direct bolt... which i can do myself lol
QUOTE (trdproven @ Feb 4, 2010 - 2:30 AM) *

trdproven
QUOTE (mgnt232 @ Feb 5, 2010 - 7:58 AM) *
yeah thats kinda what i had thought... i just got to find a place around me that will do it, cause there are not really any "custom" places that will do anything but direct bolt... which i can do myself lol
QUOTE (trdproven @ Feb 4, 2010 - 2:30 AM) *

I'd suggest a 2.25 though since you got an ST.
soulshadow
I just finished making my own custom flange from the down pipe of my stock 20V exhaust manifold to connect to my old catback for a corolla. Yes even a newbie who burned part of his hair and had to shave it, along with spending over 300$ for a acetylene/oxygen wielding kit was able to do it. You just need to invest in some equipment or find some one who can bend the pipes for you and then you wield them together and if your smart u make flanges so you can unbolt them.

The cost if you want to make your own exhaust, you would spend close to $1000 in the equipment such as a pipe bender and wielding kit with pipes. This is how those ebay guys do it. Not bad if you plan to do custom pipes and sell them. Especially if its for a Toyota cause you know you can't find them anywhere.
yarik83
purchasing custom (ie greddy) cat back can run up to 600 and in some cases more. taking your car to meineke and have them custom bend everything for you with magnaflow/cherry bomb or whatever else they have nowadays will cost you about 300 including labor.

Header installation+full exhaust including muffler and straight through cat converter will cost about 800.

I used to take my celicas to a really cool local mufler shop in new jersey. Bargain breaks and mufflers serviced all our cars often at discount with superb quality.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.