Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTF!?!?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
easternpiro1
whats up guys, wanted to get some input about something weird that happened to me this morning.

on friday, I recently made a purchase from JDM engine depot for another 3s through paypal (FOR A STEAL I MIGHT ADD), i accidentally used the wrong payment option, and got a refund from them so that i could use the approprite option. all was confirmed and seemed to be smooth.

HOWEVER...

This morning I miss a call from a 919 433 0585 (raleigh NC number) and it leaves me a voice mail about receving collect calls from this facility and for info on why the # is blocked and how to recieve future calls at a discount call paypal communications at 1800 pay pal or go to paypal.com.

before the recording could finish it said "to accept this one time complementary call..."(then a computer voice said one minute then the call ended)

i call the 919 number back and it says "were sorry you have placed a call from a telephone with calling restrictions or have called a number that can not be reached".

so i then call the 1800 paypal number and it asks "if im a existing customer with a 6 digit pin press 9.

needless to say i didnt continue and immediately called paypal. but the response i got was kinda disappointing as the lady told me she sees where i made a transaction recently and that there shows no attempts at someone getting into my account. She basically said "OH WELL" to me and was no help as far as this suspicious call is concerned. She also said that Pay pal does not use a 919 area code, but showed no inclination to investigate....

has this ever happened to anyone?

I'm calling paypal back in the morning and will be a bit more aggressive since i was in a rush and busy today...
GriffGirl
It sounds like someone else maybe intercepted your paypal information, just that a transaction occurred, and is trying to scam you. You should contact PayPal's security division about this, it could be nothing or it could be serious. Sounds like a phishing scam in the makings to me though.

Edit: Reverse lookup says it's an unpulished number in Durham (I know that's right next to Raleigh). But an unpublshed # is suspicious
DGAF
I know somebody who is in Jail in NJ. He sometimes tries to call his family and the only way he could do that was by opening out an account with a credit card with some company that handled the calls from that facility.
And when the phone rang, It said something similar but instead of paypal it said the name from the company.
I hope all you got was an inmate trying to call somebody else and dialed a wrong number. But I would still investigate and change my paypal account security just in case.

Good luck
D-Man
if all else fails, you got my number... recently bought another one so if we have to i'll come down and we'll regulate properly...

...just sayin...

laugh.gif

(seriously, i'm totally down to do it; and well equipped wink.gif )

QUOTE (GriffGirl @ Feb 8, 2010 - 12:19 AM) *
It sounds like someone else maybe intercepted your paypal information, just that a transaction occurred, and is trying to scam you. You should contact PayPal's security division about this, it could be nothing or it could be serious. Sounds like a phishing scam in the makings to me though.

Edit: Reverse lookup says it's an unpulished number in Durham (I know that's right next to Raleigh). But an unpublshed # is suspicious

x2

Hate to say but it does sound kinda funny...

QUOTE (DGAF @ Feb 8, 2010 - 1:14 PM) *
I know somebody who is in Jail in NJ. He sometimes tries to call his family and the only way he could do that was by opening out an account with a credit card with some company that handled the calls from that facility.
And when the phone rang, It said something similar but instead of paypal it said the name from the company.
I hope all you got was an inmate trying to call somebody else and dialed a wrong number. But I would still investigate and change my paypal account security just in case.

Good luck

HOPEFULLY!!!!!!!
easternpiro1
eating some o those gansta cookies again have we d-man? lol *sigh* i GOTTA get to texas lol!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.