Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rattle
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Euphoria
Hey, had a rattling problem somewhere in the exhaust recently which I believed was the flex pipe, had it replaced and the noise is still there so I'm fairly sure its the cat, now as far as I can see in the Australian ST204 there is only one cat which is on the manifold? so I looked up on Ebay and they seem the most expensive ones and as for getting them in Australia I'm sure they are super expensive so I have a couple options.

I looked at my friends mums celica recently and noticed it had headers and where my cat was, it looked to have none and the o2 sensor was lower, why is this? would there have been a cat in there that couldn't be seen perhaps?

another option is perhaps gutting the cat until I find one at a wreckers or something, I've heard people say this lowers power and makes it louder, I've also head it makes it no louder and no more or less power, whats really the answer?

thanks, this is driving me crazy.
Euphoria

This is the only cat I could see.
808celica
i would say on the headers, the o2 sensor is lower just because of the design 4-2-1 (if it is that type). most headers i seen on any car usually has the sensor slightly lower. On my car I only have 1 cat. converter also, its the same as yours. Also removing the cat. just frees up the flow of the gases. As for noise im sure that the noise level will go up slightly or alot.
trdproven
Right, no cat, slightly louder, more straight flow. Aftermarket headers has the o2 sensor location slight lower. cali spec celicas have two o2 sensors.
Galcobar
Given he's in Australia, I doubt he was seeing much in the way of California Celicas.

Your Celica appears to be equipped with a 5SFE, which had its primary cat directly under the log-style manifold (single-piece extractor). It effectively acted as the manifold's collector.

Your friend's mom's Celica might be another model, or have received an engine replacement from a Camry. The 5SFE in the Camry received a manifold with separated runners (4-1 or 4-2-1 extractor design). This places the catalytic converter much lower in the exhaust setup.

However, I'd guess that the rattle you're hearing isn't coming from inside your catalytic converter. Rattles from the exhaust are typically due to the hangers. A hanger might have slipped loose, the rubber connecting the hanger on the exhaust to the hanger on the car might have ripped, or -- as is usually the case -- a weld has broken. As the engine vibrates, you get a rattle.

Easy test: set the car up on a lift and do what you have to in order to get the rattle to sound (I had to pull the emergency brake and put the car into reverse). Then grab the exhaust (I suggest a heavy glove). Then it's just a matter of finding which hanger is rattling. I managed this without putting the car on a lift, but I'm slender enough to reach the exhaust while the car's on the ground.
Euphoria
nah I am pretty certain its not the hanger.
epocsirhc
Tap the cat with your fist, that should tell you if indeed the cat is making the noise.
Euphoria
QUOTE (epocsirhc @ Feb 12, 2010 - 10:38 PM) *
Tap the cat with your fist, that should tell you if indeed the cat is making the noise.

it's pretty solid so it doesn't rattle but exhaust places told me it was rattling a little, i don't think i can tell until i take it off.
Euphoria
Well guys a couple weeks ago I took my cat off and shaking it around had no noises and it looked in good shape both ends, tapping it with things it didn't rattle.

as that wasn't the culprit I didn't gut it as Id rather a car that was good to the environment rather than getting 0.2hp lol

Put it back together and the noises are still there, only now its at different revs, VERY WEIRD.

The only thing I could really point out was the Gasket between the cat and manifold which was in 3 parts, looking at this diagram below 25576 is the part I'm talking about, mine was in 3 parts that seemed to sit together.

Anyway this is the rattle?

Euphoria
well I picked up a stock manifold and cat, noise still there! so I don't know where to start, what else can cause rattles?

It rattles at specific revs, you can't hear it directly in front of the engine as the engine noise overpowers it but you can hear it in the car with the windows down coming from the engine bay area, you can even hear it outside the car, im so sick of it haha.

Anyway engine mounts could cause this? the front and rear have been replaced but the other 2 I haven't touched nor looked at.

thanks.
Euphoria
anyone?
jordisonjr
Try checking the heatshields under the car and even in the engine bay. I had a loose heat shielf below the car and that was causing a rattling noise. Its possible that it would be that, but i could be wrong. Worth a try though.
Euphoria
Yeah I've checked all heat shields.
samir0189
does it sound like this?

if so i can offer no help, but i have the same noise... lol. Sounds like... maracas?
Euphoria
Does sound kind of similar, I will have to get a video, I did one with my phone but its a ****ty recording.
samir0189
QUOTE (Euphoria @ Apr 13, 2010 - 10:58 AM) *
Does sound kind of similar, I will have to get a video, I did one with my phone but its a ****ty recording.

well whatever mine is, it has been there since i got the car. I took it to toyota once and had them listen to the sound and they said its nothing to worry about................................................. but never proceeded to tell me what it was. It only happens at certain RPMs, very weird, but i've learned to live with it since it isn't bothering anything.
Euphoria
mines been there for a bout a year, at first you could only hear it revving up in neutral but now its when you change gears, even outside the car you can hear it, my friends said they heard it and I've heard it when the tyre place took my car for a drive.
Galcobar
Everything I've seen described in this thread still leads me back to suspect the hangers.
Euphoria
well had a good look over all the hangers, all have the rubber still there.

I did workout it doesn't seem to do it whilst the engine is cold, although I don't want to rev much past 3k when its cold.

I'm thinking its something on the timing belt area, or the alternator, anyway it could be a bearing in the alternator?
Galcobar
And if the only manner in which a hanger could rattle is for the rubber to disappear, you'd have eliminated that as a possible source.

However, as I originally posted:
A hanger might have slipped loose, the rubber connecting the hanger on the exhaust to the hanger on the car might have ripped, or -- as is usually the case -- a weld has broken. As the engine vibrates, you get a rattle.

Note particularly that last point, regarding the welds. The break doesn't have to be big. All that is required -- and all that is usually present -- is a hairline fracture. You actually have to get under the car and inspect each hanger by eye and by hand, at close range. Simply looking under the car to see if the rubber is present is no more effective than deciding your oil pan can't be the source of the leak because you can see the edge of the gasket.
Euphoria
haha I've had this problem for a year now I have inspected all the hangers, its also been looked at by 2 exhaust shops and I'm sure they would of noticed it.
Galcobar
QUOTE (Euphoria @ Apr 14, 2010 - 6:16 AM) *
haha I've had this problem for a year now I have inspected all the hangers, its also been looked at by 2 exhaust shops and I'm sure they would of noticed it.

I cannot rely on experts to notice things I don't, after taking my clunking suspension to Toyota for a diagnosis. The results: told to replace my rear struts and strut mounts. It was actually the No. 2 suspension arm bearing, which is what I pointed out as my suspicion when I took it in.

The noise itself should help you locate the problem. Figure out where it's loudest -- engine bay, under the car, etc. Engine rattles I tend not to hear inside the cabin nearly as well as I hear problems with the exhaust hangers under the body.
Euphoria
Yeah I agree on that one haha, I had a bad wheel bearing a week after it was fitted and I was told by 2 places it was axel/gearbox, 1 was certain it was my differential facepalm.
SL44
QUOTE (Euphoria @ Apr 14, 2010 - 8:10 AM) *
well had a good look over all the hangers, all have the rubber still there.

I did workout it doesn't seem to do it whilst the engine is cold, although I don't want to rev much past 3k when its cold.

I'm thinking its something on the timing belt area, or the alternator, anyway it could be a bearing in the alternator?

I have a noise, more noticeable when well warmed up. Thought it was engine front area; had to replace oil pump due to a leak anyway so also got to check other moving parts for wear, all seemed well. Changed harmonic balancer; noise still there. I drove it > 30 miles for the first time in 2 months today and am now convinced its in the power steering pump; its an annoying tapping sound that stops when moving the steering wheel just a little.

Check your PS pump area for that noise.
Euphoria
Thanks for the advice but I doubt it thats as I can't remember it stopping when turning the wheel but I will definitely have a look later, I'm thinking its probably around the timing belt area.
benzo
i have the same problem frown.gif

do you have ebay header on the car?>
Euphoria
Changed the drive shaft the other day and for some reason the noise has completely gone, nothing was loose so its still a mystery, but atleast I know it was driveshaft related.
b22ri22an
QUOTE (samir0189 @ Apr 13, 2010 - 11:01 AM) *

well whatever mine is, it has been there since i got the car. I took it to toyota once and had them listen to the sound and they said its nothing to worry about................................................. but never proceeded to tell me what it was. It only happens at certain RPMs, very weird, but i've learned to live with it since it isn't bothering anything.

i know what your rattle is samir.... mine had it too it ended up being the upper timing cover rattling between 800 and 2200 rpms, it sounded exactly like that only when started cold after it warms up the sound isnt there. when i got my timing belt done the noise was gone
samir0189
QUOTE (b22ri22an @ Jun 14, 2010 - 12:39 AM) *
QUOTE (samir0189 @ Apr 13, 2010 - 11:01 AM) *

i know what your rattle is samir.... mine had it too it ended up being the upper timing cover rattling between 800 and 2200 rpms, it sounded exactly like that only when started cold after it warms up the sound isnt there. when i got my timing belt done the noise was gone

good guess, but the t-belt and all components was recently done at toyota, i had them listen to the noise and they replied "its normal." rolleyes.gif

im starting to think it is the cat-con..... a header may help me figure it out... wink.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.