Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backfiring after installation of hi-flow K&N filter
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
conus00
I have installed custom made 3in short intake with K&N filter.
My car now (sometimes, not very often though) backfires. Very loud pop, you can even feel the gas pedal shudder. Usually from neutral to 1st on very low RPMs.

It is highly annoying! Also it seems to me that my MPG got worse. Funny, I actually thought that installing after market air filter would IMPROVE it.
what's wrong?

Has anyone here experienced the same problem?
808celica
did you hook up the air sensor from your old one?
95CelicaST
Reset the ECU? Plug in the intake sensor?
conus00
Yep, intake sensor is in (I'm assuming that is the rounded-spiked-one which was originally in the airbox) and no I didn't reset the ECU because I don't know how.
Batman722
QUOTE (conus00 @ Feb 22, 2010 - 7:47 PM) *
Yep, intake sensor is in (I'm assuming that is the rounded-spiked-one which was originally in the airbox) and no I didn't reset the ECU because I don't know how.

pull the "EFI" fuse in the engine bay fuse box, wait 30 sec, put the fuse back in.
Drive around.
6gen91
lol i ran straight pipe all the way back and mine backfires all the time, i dont see anything wrong with it, i think it sounds quite RAW lol
trdproven
air filter is simply just an air cleaner really, it does not do anything to harm your motor. Unless a sensor or mechanical failure somewhere.
conus00
^
I understand. But unfortunately the backfiring started immediately after I installed the setup. It HAS to be connected somehow.
@Batman722 I will try to follow your advice.
zoik
i you have backfire,try to check your spark plugs, the gap had become too wide on mine, i used a (dont know how you call it, the set of metal plates of different thickness) to get it within specs.

Maybe you have some grease on the sensor too, use some alcool to clean it.
808celica
QUOTE (zoik @ Feb 23, 2010 - 12:53 AM) *
i you have backfire,try to check your spark plugs, the gap had become too wide on mine, i used a (dont know how you call it, the set of metal plates of different thickness) to get it within specs.

Maybe you have some grease on the sensor too, use some alcool to clean it.

spark plug gapper wink.gif
trdproven
QUOTE (conus00 @ Feb 23, 2010 - 4:47 PM) *
^
I understand. But unfortunately the backfiring started immediately after I installed the setup. It HAS to be connected somehow.
@Batman722 I will try to follow your advice.

thats use to reset the ECU. Did it work for you?
conus00
Didn't have a chance yet. Will let you know as soon as I try...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.