Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3rd Gen 3sge Engine Performance Upgrade
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
fgvillegas
Hello everyone,

I'm just new here and I want to get some feedback and suggestions regarding engine performance upgrade for 3rd gen 3sge engine.

As much as possible, I would like to keep my engine NA but would like to increase the power and torque specially in the low to mid rev range since this would be most of the time a street car and will just have occational run at the track.

I have already done the IHE upgrades and have MSD ignition, FPR, SAF-C in preparation for future upgrades. I also have a lightened crankshaft pulley.

I have already ordered an HKS adjustable camgears but I am not really sure if this would do any good. I am planning to buy aftermarket cams but I don't know what would be the right duration and lift. I would also like to avoid port and polishing and doing some internal upgrades as this would be very expensive and will take so much time to do. So, I'm just looking at a whole day work, at the most, to do the performance upgrades.

If I sound so silly, please bear with me.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks,
delusionz
Use the search feature, there is an ACIS/Beams discussion thread, I never got the chance to test this on the dyno, but I discovered by making an RPM frequency relay that the the changeover point can be lowered slightly to make power earlier under full throttle.

The downside to this is that is you must take entire control over the switchover from the ECU which means you only get RPM based control and not throttle based control.

Under 1/4 throttle keeping the ACIS butterflies closed will increase pumping losses.

From the sounds of things you have already done everything you can short of pulling the motor apart and increasing compression and porting/polishing, or simply just dropping a new engine in.

Is your air filter piped to a location with cold air? this will give you a good boost throughout the entire rev range
Rusty
http://www.roadandtrack.net.au/images/stor...urbo_engine.pdf

a really good article, worth a read.

for your camshafts. sounds like you want between 250-270 duration. any bigger you'll lose too much down low. for the lift, get heaps 10.5mm plus

(the duration moves the power(lift) up the rev range, so more duration the higher the revs have to be to get the power)

i'll post links of ones I've been looking at.

any chance of pictures of your ignition setup?
fgvillegas
@delusionz:

Would an e-manage ultimate help in controlling the ACIS in both RPM and throttle openning?

As for my intake, it's a CAI setup already.

For now, I wouldn't like to do some internal upgrades like port and polishing, etc. It's going to take some time and a lot of cash to do it. I may be wrong, but as I based it on some people I know who did it, they didn't gain so much. So the cost per HP gain is very expensive. Though, this may have something to do on how it was done. In that case, I need to know who could do it right.

@Rusty:

Thanks for the article. I will read it after this. I know I will learn so much from that.

Do I have to change the valve springs for the lift of 10.5mm plus? I hope not. Otherwise, the engine might need to be openned up which I am avoiding for now. smile.gif

Also, would this be 10.5mm plus lift for both intake and exhaust? When I'm looking at the lift of most stock engines, I noticed that the intake lift and duration of the cams is always higher than the exhaust. I don't know the rationale behind that. I still don't know if this is explained in the link you posted. I hope it is.

I don't have pictures of my ignition setup yet but I'll post it at once when I have one. What I have now is still in my old engine setup which is not very different from the current setup. I don't know if that would be fine with you. Just to give you an idea, the MSD 6A ignition booster is installed under my seat so it won't get too much heat from the engine and that would increase it's life. My ignition coil is an MSD HVC II. I fabricated a holder for it so I can intall it in the engine bay.

Thanks guys for the info. Please keep it coming.
Rusty
this is from that article
The lift on any 3SG head is limited to 10.5mm by the springs, which will become coil bound. Flow studies on Gen 2 & 3 heads both indicate the intake flow drops off at about 13mm lift, & after that, the valve, port & head chambers all combine to limit the flow coming in.

Jun Cams they also have some good info.
HKS cams or HKS cams
Cat Cams
Piper Cams
Kelford Cams
CamTech Cams
Franklin Cams

lack of afermarket parts for the celica they say tongue.gif

fgvillegas
Thanks Rusty! smile.gif
fgvillegas
Has anyone tried installing Top Deck on the ACIS? This is like a 1-inch spacer that you put on the ACIS.

Someone is selling this item to me and he said that this will increase the volume of air in the ACIS and therefore improve performance.

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
fgvillegas
Please ignore my last question.

I was looking around and I saw this link (http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=17827&highlight=ACIS) somewhere in this forum.

It pretty much answered my question.

But if anyone has still some additional inputs, I would still appreciate it so much.

Thanks guys.
Rusty
Vincent_D has one on his, and he reckons there is a bit of mid rev power gained
delusionz
I've had new thoughts on this since we last had this discussion, I reckon it would shift the low rpm torque down lower (longer runners positive effect on low rpm) and create a dip in power earlier in the midrange, making the acis changeover more noticable (like a vtec kicked in yo) by time it comes around.

Maybe thats what he felt in the mid range, as those guys said on that forum it made no difference on the dyno.
fgvillegas
If they saw no difference using the dyno, then I guess it's not worth it.

My friend is selling me one and it seems so expensive. And without any power gain, it would be a waste of money.

What I could do probably later when I really have to dyno my car is to borrow my friend powerdeck so I can show my own proof too. smile.gif

Thanks guys again for you input.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.