Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak - need advice
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
CaliJeff
I'm leaking quite a bit of oil from the back of my engine. Ive isolated it to the back right side under the intake manifold. Other than the head gasket and oil pan gasket, is there anything on the back which could be causing me to lose oil? I checked my radiator for signs of oil and didn't see any so if its a head gasket leak, it hasnt gone into the coolant yet. Thanks guy!!!
hurley97
QUOTE (CaliJeff @ Apr 1, 2010 - 8:05 PM) *
Other than the head gasket and oil pan gasket, is there anything on the back which could be causing me to lose oil?

valve cover gasket
CaliJeff
the leak is coming from under the intake manifold, not above it. any other ideas?
i'm just really hoping its not the head gasket *sigh* and trying to kid myself out of it
Bitter
clean it all up and tell us where its leaking from.
CaliJeff
hah ive tried that. if i knew where it was then I wouldnt be asking. I'll try to take a pic tho. Thanks guys! Keep up the suggestions!
hurley97
It could still be coming from the valve cover gasket. Its not the oil pan if its that high up on the motor. Its not common for head gaskets to leak oil externally, but if it's coming from right where the block and head meet then yes it probably is the head gasket.
trdproven
is it your power steering fluid, check your reservoir, or maybe its your distributor actually leaking and it made its way to the back, thats what happened to mine.
cyberblader1130
You should see if you can get a photo of the exact area you think the oil may be coming from. How much has been leaking out lately? Until you can find the cause you could try adding an oil stabilizer or a "stop leak" type deal. It may help until you can fix the problem.
Motegi
I'm leaking quite a bit of oil from the back of my engine. Ive isolated it to the back right side under the intake manifold. Other than the head gasket and oil pan gasket, is there anything on the back which could be causing me to lose oil? I checked my radiator for signs of oil and didn't see any so if its a head gasket leak, it hasnt gone into the coolant yet. Thanks guy!!!

By back right side you mean the passenger side of the engine? If so I only could think of the valve cover leaking oil in the area by the intake manifold, it could also be the cam seals if your car has 100,000+ miles and hasn't had all the seals, timing belt and water pump replaced yet.

Black0nBlack94

Mostlikely Its a little O-ring seal that is causing your worries. To check simply pull out the distributer{make sure you mark the exact position it was in!!!!!!} and feel it. If you can see oil passing then change it. I payed like 8-9 dollars from toyota I dont have the part number though. Mine was leaking and It ran down to the back and dripped off the oil pan. Im guessing your having a similar problem.
celicatech
I'm not really sure what side of the engine you are talking about but my guess is either a front or rear main seals. The parts are cheap but the repairs are a PITA. smile.gif
reko
Let me know it you find this out... mine's been leaking somewhere behind the distributor since I had it just like you and i've never been able to find from where... i think it's probably the head gasket... it's leaking in the 4th cylinder also... so i guess i'm due for a change!
CaliJeff
so i replaced my oil pan gasket.. not it. I got a really hood look underneath though. Looks like the oil leak is for sure coming on the right side (alternator side) behind the timing belt cover. Looks like maybe a cam o ring leak? any suggestions. I know for sure it is not the valve cover, oil pan, or head gasket.
celicatech
front main seal also know as oil pump seal and front crankshaft seal.
CaliJeff
looks like it is probably the crankshaft seal because its behind the plastic timing belt cover. Not too difficult to get back there and work on it if i take off the wheel and the plastic underneath I suppose?
tim86
im having the same problem man frown.gif main seal is leaking bad... gotta find somebody that will do work for a reasonable price
celicatech
It's pretty involved but doable. It's all the steps involved in changing the timing belt plus the removal and installing of the seal. If you have never done a timing belt replacement or are not mechanically inclined, I'd get some help. Go to autozone's repair guide section, they are pretty good and free. Also, you might as well do a timing belt replacement if you haven't done so already. Do a search here for timing belt replacement. I know there is a guy who did one who had pics all that good ****.
tim86
shop wants to charge me about 900 to replace rear main seal and oil pan gasket... blahhh.... def going to look around for a better price
BonzaiCelica
I have an oil leak coming from the right half of my oil pan gasket, here are the pics to show you guys what Im talking about. any ideas where the leak is coming from?... I also just resealed the lower oil pan to the upper oil pan with the toyot fipg sealant about 10,000 miles ago. My guess is that the leak is coming from the upper oil pan to the engine... any ideas how much that should cost?

Tigawoods
ive been leaking for about a year now.
maybe i will revisit it and try and figure out what it is
Bitter
I see oil above the upper pan, crank seal?
Jamchell
Well that looks like it could be a front main seal.

Mine is leaking enough to be a nuisance now, I don't have to add oil between changes yet. Seems to be either the oil pan gasket, the cam seals or the front main. I just bought some tracer dye and a UV flashlight, time to fix this problem.

I'm amazed that after 197k the car dosen't burn any oil, these engines are made with quality material.
BonzaiCelica
ok guys thanks for the help!
presure2
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Jun 5, 2010 - 6:32 AM) *
I have an oil leak coming from the right half of my oil pan gasket, here are the pics to show you guys what Im talking about. any ideas where the leak is coming from?... I also just resealed the lower oil pan to the upper oil pan with the toyot fipg sealant about 10,000 miles ago. My guess is that the leak is coming from the upper oil pan to the engine... any ideas how much that should cost?

in these pics it looks like it is above the upper pan as well, which would lead to front main seal, and or cam seals. your gonna open that side of the motor, i would be sure to get all the seals for that side (theyre only ~30 for everything) that way once its open you can replace them all and not worry about more leaks from other old seals down the road.
the uv dye works great BTW, you could use that to pinpoint the leak.
BonzaiCelica
ya just went to a shop around my house $400 estimate to change front main seal, cam seal, and reseal the upper oil pan to the engine block!! wow thats alot! you think I can get that all done for $300 elsewhere. ill have to keep asking around I guess??
Jamchell
Word of caution, be careful with "cheap" repair shops unless you know the owner/mechanic. The number of corners some shops cut in order to drop the price might surprise you. If you have time/ambition maybe you can learn how to do these seals yourself and do a better job than a dubious shop.
njccmd2002
time for a swap.. Beams or 3SGE
lagos
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Jun 9, 2010 - 12:49 AM) *
ya just went to a shop around my house $400 estimate to change front main seal, cam seal, and reseal the upper oil pan to the engine block!! wow thats alot! you think I can get that all done for $300 elsewhere. ill have to keep asking around I guess??

Id say thats actually a fair price.
All those take a bit of time to replace.
Might also be of benefit for you to have them install a new timing belt while they are in there because the labor is the same for that job.
samir0189
QUOTE (lagos @ Jun 9, 2010 - 9:20 AM) *
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Jun 9, 2010 - 12:49 AM) *

Id say thats actually a fair price.
All those take a bit of time to replace.
Might also be of benefit for you to have them install a new timing belt while they are in there because the labor is the same for that job.

last year i had all that done, (except the oil pan reseal) plus timing belt at my local toyota dealership for $470, with parts. oil pump seal too, iirc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.