Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where (the heck) does this connector go?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
conus00
I was swapping my wheels with summer tires on the Celi and found this connector just hanging.
What is it and where does it go?

Just past passenger's side wheel well (in this vicinity):

Looks like the other end connects somewhere behind this pulley:

Standard two-pin connector:

Any ideas? Thanks.

(Sorry for the crappy cell pics)
conus00
Nobody knows?
lilgreenyoda
All your marker lights work?
Bitter
power steering pressure sensor? your car have any problems or odd things happening? if not then leave it be. i know my corollla/prizm has a few odd connectors not connected to anything. they're used for something at the factory i think.
conus00
QUOTE (lilgreenyoda @ Apr 3, 2010 - 6:00 PM) *
All your marker lights work?

Yep, they do.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Apr 3, 2010 - 6:17 PM) *
power steering pressure sensor? your car have any problems or odd things happening? if not then leave it be. i know my corollla/prizm has a few odd connectors not connected to anything. they're used for something at the factory i think.

The only problem I have right now is backfiring, but I doubt it is connected to this.
Also, the car bogs down on 1st gear (but I think that is just underpowered 7AFE).
Bitter
my auto 7afe never bogged in first.
replica250
hows your fueling? does she such fuel like its going out of fashion?
a mate of mine has the same motor in his 1.8sr i belive and im thinking it looks like the lambda sensor or o2 sensor plug, his wasnt connected when he bought the car, didnt get a check code just ran lumpy.
just a surjestion mind you never now. biggrin.gif
blu94gt
Aren't our cars prewired for fog lights, whether or not they have them? Could be that connector hanging further back like a hanger or something broke, looks like a basic lighting connector.
celicatech
Knock sensor? it's located under the manifold stay and behind the block. kinda PITA to get to.
conus00
QUOTE (replica250 @ Apr 5, 2010 - 12:55 PM) *
hows your fueling? does she such fuel like its going out of fashion?
a mate of mine has the same motor in his 1.8sr i belive and im thinking it looks like the lambda sensor or o2 sensor plug, his wasnt connected when he bought the car, didnt get a check code just ran lumpy.
just a surjestion mind you never now. biggrin.gif

Funny that you mentioned it because, for a few months now, it feels like I have been getting worse mpg then I used to. I thought it was just my imagination...

QUOTE (blu94gt @ Apr 5, 2010 - 11:20 PM) *
Aren't our cars prewired for fog lights, whether or not they have them? Could be that connector hanging further back like a hanger or something broke, looks like a basic lighting connector.

Definitely not. The connector would not come even close to reaching the front bumper.

QUOTE (celicatech @ Apr 6, 2010 - 1:21 AM) *
Knock sensor? it's located under the manifold stay and behind the block. kinda PITA to get to.

Possibility. I will have to wait for my friend at his shop to free his lift and take better look. I can't see very well by just jacking the car up...
conus00
Ok, I checked the engine codes and I'm getting codes 52 and 71.
According to my quick research:
52 - Open or short circuit in knock sensor signal
71 - EGR gas temperature less than predetermined level during EGR control

So, the dangling connector might be an knock sensor. does anybody have an picture where the sensor is located on the block?
Also WTH code 71 mean and how do I fix it?
Bitter
knock sensor is back side of the block near the water pipe across the back/water pump. on the passenger side.
conus00
Is there any way to get to it just by jacking the car up on the parking lot or do I have to put it on the lift?
Also, what would be the easiest way to get to it (through passenger's side wheel well, maybe)?
Bitter
you can get at it from the top dude.
hatchy_gt-s
QUOTE (conus00 @ Apr 11, 2010 - 8:57 PM) *
Ok, I checked the engine codes and I'm getting codes 52 and 71.
According to my quick research:
52 - Open or short circuit in knock sensor signal
71 - EGR gas temperature less than predetermined level during EGR control

So, the dangling connector might be an knock sensor. does anybody have an picture where the sensor is located on the block?
Also WTH code 71 mean and how do I fix it?

To answer your question on the 71 code the knock sensor will fix that. Im surprised that you didnt get a O2 code seeing as you have prob. been running rich or lean... anyways yes the connector is to the knock sensor and it is very easy to access, it will be located on either the back of the block(about center) or around the timing belt area.
conus00
Does anybody have engine out of the bay? I need to see back of the block where knock sensor connects to the engine.
I have tried to reach behind the block to see if anything is unplugged (seeing there is real b!tch) and can't feel anything.
The picture would be great help to see where all the sockets are.
Thanks!
presure2
QUOTE (conus00 @ May 7, 2010 - 3:12 AM) *
Does anybody have engine out of the bay? I need to see back of the block where knock sensor connects to the engine.
I have tried to reach behind the block to see if anything is unplugged (seeing there is real b!tch) and can't feel anything.
The picture would be great help to see where all the sockets are.
Thanks!

the knock sensor is a single wire sensor.
4-eyed-freek
i have a 94 gt and that looks just like the side marker running light
Johnnyny
i have the same wire unplugged i think i found where it goes but the wire barely makes it there check right next to the dipstick

the one on my fingertips is the one by the dipstick i just uncliped it and it does not work with the one coming out of the block that is hooked up to the o2

edit: added pic
hatchy_gt-s
^ your connector and his are 2 diff. ones, his is a female yours is a male and the safety pins are diff.
Johnnyny
QUOTE (hatchy_gt-s @ May 9, 2010 - 2:22 PM) *
^ your connector and his are 2 diff. ones, his is a female yours is a male and the safety pins are diff.

ahh any idea where it goes i saw nothing unpluged except the one by the dipstick? kindasad.gif
hatchy_gt-s
It goes to your cam position sensor on the back side of ur cam gear.
Johnnyny
QUOTE (hatchy_gt-s @ May 10, 2010 - 6:30 PM) *
It goes to your cam position sensor on the back side of ur cam gear.

thank you now to find i had no clue
conus00
^^^Man, why nobody can't help ME? biggrin.gif
Let me sum this up:
-it is not knock sensor, this connector is two-wire instead of 1 wire (which still leaves issue with my engine throwing codes 52 and 71, my knock sensor might be bad)
-it is not side marker wire, both work and it is too short to reach there anyway
-it is not a fog light sensor (for the same reason, too short)
-it is not O2 sensor because I can see mine plugged in the header

I have tried to see how far it reaches in every direction but didn't find a single plug anywhere within its reach (but it is hard to see behind the block)

So (again) where the heck does this go?
Johnnyny
QUOTE (conus00 @ May 11, 2010 - 1:10 AM) *
^^^Man, why nobody can't help ME? biggrin.gif
Let me sum this up:
-it is not knock sensor, this connector is two-wire instead of 1 wire (which still leaves issue with my engine throwing codes 52 and 71, my knock sensor might be bad)
-it is not side marker wire, both work and it is too short to reach there anyway
-it is not a fog light sensor (for the same reason, too short)
-it is not O2 sensor because I can see mine plugged in the header

I have tried to see how far it reaches in every direction but didn't find a single plug anywhere within its reach (but it is hard to see behind the block)

So (again) where the heck does this go?

i have both codes i cleaned out the egr but not the intake holes gotta get a wire brush small enough for dat what about your second o2 sensor the one after the flexpipe ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.