Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Richee3's Progress thread.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
richee3
QUOTE (cheela @ Feb 19, 2013 - 3:50 PM) *
I think we pretty much all knew u were getting those rims sooner or later. hahahah.

Noooooooooooo, me? Want these rims since I found out they exist? Never! tongue.gif

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Feb 19, 2013 - 4:17 PM) *
glad u like them, they went to a good car. I just cant keep hoarding all this stuff.... hows the ride, you may need to check the air...

I love them. Thanks again! One tire was a little low, and these actually ride a little bit smoother. Plus the BEAMS turns them a little easier. thumbsup.gif
richee3
Finally got around to swapping the lightweight flywheel in yesterday.

I was too lazy to pull the driver side axle. Surprisingly, this didn't cause me any issues.

Clutch disc didn't have as much life left in it as I had hoped.

Found a nail in one of my tires as I went to put it back on. frown.gif Gotta get that repaired today.

Ready to take the test drive.

My thoughts on the flywheel: Just cruising around, I can feel minimal difference. I can tell a difference, yes, but just barely. It's when I go WOT that I really feel the difference. First and second gears rev out more quickly and after that, the engine is a little more willing to rev but not a huge difference. Here's the thing that gets me... About halfway home from my dad's house, I hit resume on the cruise control and heard the exhaust speak up. It was then that I noticed I hadn't heard it too much. I made a comment to Brigette, she said she was thinking the same thing. It might not be true, but we're both pretty certain that our exhaust is quieter.

Anyway, that's all for now. Big update coming in a couple of weeks.
kurt95gt
I think the sound level difference comes from the engine not having to work as hard
The coupe an 1mz have the same basic exhaust but at 60 the 1mz is much quieter (both run s54 so rpms are the same at 60 in both cars) that's the only thing I can think that might cause what you've noticed from the exhaust
navseal345
Looks like fun.
enderswift
Way to bust out a trans removal like its no big deal. Good job. Hope you installed a new TOB!
bloodMoney
QUOTE (enderswift @ Mar 26, 2013 - 12:39 PM) *
Way to bust out a trans removal like its no big deal. Good job. Hope you installed a new TOB!

^This.

I tried replacing the rear engine mount two weeks ago, and she's still in pieces in the garage....

It probably doesn't help that I need to drill out the two front crossmember bolts.... kindasad.gif
kurt95gt
He had good instructions hahaha
rave2n

Lol feel ya! It was like oooOOoooo rims, BAM trannie out. He must know a trick for that rear mount...thats always my hold up. Everything else is easy.

Speaking of those rims, I really like them. As some noticed, I'm a big fan of lesser spokes, cheese grater look just isn't me.

Are they from a solara?

richee3
QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 26, 2013 - 12:33 PM) *
Looks like fun.

It was not. frown.gif My left arm is still sore from doing this, mostly from where I broke it last December but doing projects like this still don't feel great.

Haha thanks. It was definitely a big deal though.. 8.5 hours of work with a potty break and stopping to eat dinner. Could've been faster but I had no idea what I was doing. No new TOB, since I've got other plans in the works soon. smile.gif

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Mar 26, 2013 - 1:10 PM) *
^This.

I tried replacing the rear engine mount two weeks ago, and she's still in pieces in the garage....

It probably doesn't help that I need to drill out the two front crossmember bolts.... kindasad.gif

I'd offer to help with that rear motor mount, but it should come as no surprise to you that getting the motor mount and crossmember back in were the biggest pains in this swap. So... I'll help out with anything else but not that. tongue.gif

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Mar 26, 2013 - 1:11 PM) *
He had good instructions hahaha

HUGE props to Kurt and Chris for on-the-spot tips! This went MUCH smoother thanks to both of you guys!

QUOTE (rave2n @ Mar 26, 2013 - 1:14 PM) *
Lol feel ya! It was like oooOOoooo rims, BAM trannie out. He must know a trick for that rear mount...thats always my hold up. Everything else is easy.

Speaking of those rims, I really like them. As some noticed, I'm a big fan of lesser spokes, cheese grater look just isn't me.

Are they from a solara?

You think rims then a trans drop was sweet, just wait. Bigger things coming. smile.gif I spent an hour and a half last night trying to get the rear mount and crossmember back in. It was a huge pain. Next time, I'm paying somebody else to do this. The rims are 17x7 et 45 from a Toyota Caldina/Matrix M Theory. I picked them up from njccmd. I've wanted them since I saw them in his progress thread. My luck couldn't have worked out any better when he listed them for sale. Pictures don't do the rims justice, the color looks much better in person. Now I just need moar low.

I should mention that I got the nail pulled out and the tire fixed today, Discount Tire hooked me up for free. Not that they don't do that for everyone, but it was a pleasant surprise.
enderswift
I HATE the rear mount.

Pro tip: chase the threads on the trans case with a tap several times until the rear mount bolts can easily thread in with two fingers. This way you can have the bracket and mount super loose to aid with positioning but wont have to struggle later with first maneuvering, then tightening an impossible-to-reach pair of bolts for 40 min. When everything is in position, hand tighten the two bolts snug, and finish with the open end of a 14mm wrench. Next taper the end of the through bolt on a grinder to make it easy to push through the mount and into the bracket. tighten the mount to the k member, check everything
one last time and call it a day smile.gif

After dealing with the rear mount a billion times this is hands down the easiest approach. Took 20 min last week
bloodMoney
Sounds like he should've called you Luke. tongue.gif
Ted95
QUOTE (richee3 @ Mar 26, 2013 - 11:02 AM) *
Finally got around to swapping the lightweight flywheel in yesterday.

My thoughts on the flywheel: Just cruising around, I can feel minimal difference. I can tell a difference, yes, but just barely. It's when I go WOT that I really feel the difference. First and second gears rev out more quickly and after that, the engine is a little more willing to rev but not a huge difference. Here's the thing that gets me... About halfway home from my dad's house, I hit resume on the cruise control and heard the exhaust speak up. It was then that I noticed I hadn't heard it too much. I made a comment to Brigette, she said she was thinking the same thing. It might not be true, but we're both pretty certain that our exhaust is quieter.

Anyway, that's all for now. Big update coming in a couple of weeks.

I like this pic Richee, car sits nicely with these wheels!

I just installed the same flywheel on my new setup and I like it alot as well, you do notice it more has rev higher through the powerband rather then at idle, wish i still had my crusie control to test the theory with the exhaust level lol
JoshuaM

I am very jealous, once I saw those wheels I was hooked too... I have spent the last two months looking all over the country for them... Hard to find when they are on a ultra low volume import tongue.gif I have just gone for 7th gen 16" for now, but I still hope to have those Caldina rims one day tongue.gif What spacers are you running in those pics, because I imagine they would look quite sucked in stock?

Looking good as always smile.gif
richee3
QUOTE (Ted95 @ Mar 27, 2013 - 7:42 AM) *

I just installed the same flywheel on my new setup and I like it alot as well, you do notice it more has rev higher through the powerband rather then at idle, wish i still had my crusie control to test the theory with the exhaust level lol

Thanks! I got a better quality picture, but decided this picture would be a little better to post. It still needs to be lowered, the wheel gap in the front is atrocious. Even without cruise control, just cruising at a steady speed, I noticed a difference in the exhaust. Yours might be quieter than mine though since I'm N/A and you're boosted. tongue.gif

QUOTE (JoshuaM @ Mar 27, 2013 - 8:41 AM) *
I am very jealous, once I saw those wheels I was hooked too... I have spent the last two months looking all over the country for them... Hard to find when they are on a ultra low volume import tongue.gif I have just gone for 7th gen 16" for now, but I still hope to have those Caldina rims one day tongue.gif What spacers are you running in those pics, because I imagine they would look quite sucked in stock?

I've seen your search for them. But there can only be one of us with these rims and I FOUND 'EM FIRST!!!!!!! Just kidding, they look great on a Celica, and I'm after an OEM look for this car so there really isn't a better choice. I have Ichiba 10 mm spacers all around, but I might be switching to 15 mm for the rear soon. I need to get it lowered then decide. With an offset of +45, I imagine these would be sucked in a decent amount.
Ted95
QUOTE (richee3 @ Mar 27, 2013 - 11:06 AM) *
QUOTE (Ted95 @ Mar 27, 2013 - 7:42 AM) *

Thanks! I got a better quality picture, but decided this picture would be a little better to post. It still needs to be lowered, the wheel gap in the front is atrocious. Even without cruise control, just cruising at a steady speed, I noticed a difference in the exhaust. Yours might be quieter than mine though since I'm N/A and you're boosted. tongue.gif

Lol ya probably, problem is though my cutout wont close completely at the moment soooo i wouldnt be able to notice if there was a difference as of right now anyway haha.

Are you using coilovers or springs? I only have springs at the moment kindasad.gif
richee3
Regrettably, just stock springs. I had it lowered on Sportlines several years ago, then back to stock, then recently on TRD coilovers until one of the rears blew, now I'm back to stock again. I keep toying with the idea of getting more coilovers but the wifey doesn't like the idea too much. I'll probably end up on Sportlines and call it a day.
njccmd2002
QUOTE (JoshuaM @ Mar 27, 2013 - 8:41 AM) *

beleive me when i say, in 3 years i did not see a set pop up on ebay. And i had them for sale for 8 months. and no one had any desire except Daniel.
bloodMoney
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Mar 27, 2013 - 11:17 AM) *
beleive me when i say, in 3 years i did not see a set pop up on ebay. And i had them for sale for 8 months. and no one had any desire except Daniel.

That's not entirely true. You can ask Daniel, I seriously considered your set for a long time, but then I realized that I preferred Daniel's friendship over the wheels. laugh.gif

That and I'll be converting to 5x114 shortly.
Batman722
update.
navseal345
I believe its at the body shop getting paint. I think I know the colors, but pics would be better.
njccmd2002
I don't think this car will ever get done without any corn
bloodMoney
I'll bring the toppings! smile.gif
Zake
I'm sure that just about no one will get those references laugh.gif
Syaoran
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ May 23, 2013 - 1:50 PM) *
I don't think this car will ever get done without any corn

I'd do oxygenated 116oct though
bloodMoney
QUOTE (Syaoran @ May 24, 2013 - 12:04 PM) *
I'd do oxygenated 116oct though

A swing and a miss. biggrin.gif
richee3
Who's got the mayonnaise? tongue.gif
bloodMoney
Just picked some up actually wink.gif
richee3
QUOTE (Batman722 @ May 20, 2013 - 5:30 PM) *
update.

Nothing but a teaser for now. Surely you're keeping up with the rest on the Facebook. wink.gif
Box
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jun 4, 2013 - 5:04 PM) *
Accidental post.

No such thing. tongue.gif
richee3
Since somebody busted me out in a Podcast last night *cough* DUSTIN METCALF *cough*, I suppose I can release a second teaser pic as to why I haven't touched this car in over two months.

Check out that shiny coat of fresh black paint. That's fancy!
Tigawoods
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jun 23, 2013 - 6:09 PM) *
Since somebody busted me out in a Podcast last night *cough* DUSTIN METCALF *cough*, I suppose I can release a second teaser pic as to why I haven't touched this car in over two months.

Check out that shiny coat of fresh black paint. That's fancy!

That friggin JERK!!

You fooled me! I thought it was going to be white!

OR! are you doing the black roof??
richee3
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Jun 23, 2013 - 5:16 PM) *
That friggin JERK!!

OR! are you doing the black roof??

Let's just say if I make it up to the Colt State Park meet, I'd love to borrow some of your time with your camera.
njccmd2002
ooh ooh i want to pics too, shiney!!!
Batman722
hehe busted.

Purple.
Celisauras16
My car is going to look so pretty when it's finished! smile.gif
Ted95
we want more, we want more , like we really like it we want more!
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Jun 23, 2013 - 6:16 PM) *

Spoiler alert, look at the edge of the hatch lid and roof, they're visible...
Tigawoods
QUOTE (Ted95 @ Jun 24, 2013 - 7:07 AM) *

richee3
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Jun 24, 2013 - 6:26 AM) *
Spoiler alert, look at the edge of the hatch lid and roof, they're visible...

Well the cat's out of the bag now...

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jun 23, 2013 - 6:29 PM) *
ooh ooh i want to pics too, shiney!!!

QUOTE (Ted95 @ Jun 24, 2013 - 6:07 AM) *

Ask and you shall receive.

SwissFerdi
Sorry to ruin the surprise element, but fantastic choice of scheme.
Box
Pandica? redface.gif
The_enD
Moar pics redface.gif

Love the color combo.
richee3
Alright, alright, last one for now.

While the car has been in the body shop, I've picked up a few things. Nothing special, but I'm looking forward to installing them. We had the antenna hole shaved, so we bought a Metra 44-UA200 window mounted antenna, black "GT-FOUR" decals to go on the riser blocks, then we picked up some clear sidemarkers for the front fenders. We have Wolfie clear front turns, so orange OEM sidemarkers would look a little odd and out of place. Then the body shop told us that it would only be $30 to delete the front sidemarkers, the new Ebay sidemarkers cost $25... Needless to say we opted to delete the sidemarkers and will have the clear brand new sidemarkers for sale very soon. We also picked up some JDM door sills from Culp, some LED strips for the footwells, and we're ditching the "I Love Dinosaurs" license plate frame in favor of a TRD license plate frame.

Now for storytime... Took us quite a while longer than we thought it would to save up the cash for the paint job. The guy that owns the body shop is a family friend of Brigette's, so he's giving us an excellent price for all the work he is doing. Once we finally saved up the cash, we made an appointment to drop the car off with him. We paid him the cash, up front, before even handing him the keys to the car. He estimated 3 weeks to get it finished. That was April 7th. Well, two weeks go by and we decide to stop by and check on the car to see how it's coming.... It was still exactly where we parked it. Untouched. Third week goes by, he finally moves it inside the shop. Two months go by, it's sanded, but that's it... Tomorrow will be 3 months to the day. You can see that I'm still missing front fenders, splitters, skirts, mirrors, spoiler, front bumper is painted but can't be installed yet... We had to call the shop Friday to clear some things up, and just politely asked when it might be finished. He said he'll try to have it done by the end of July.... Key word, try. That's nearly 4 months for a simple paint job... We aren't doing anything special or extravagant. Certainly nothing custom or original. I've been extremely patient so far but after being told he'll try to have it done by the end of July, nearly 4 months in the making... Now I'm pissed. I know we're getting a good deal on the work but seriously... I gave him cash up front so he has no out of pocket expenses, he's already been paid for the work... There's no excuse for this. Anyway, moving on...

After the car was at the shop for two weeks, I decided to go pick up my projectors and do the cutoff mod. Talk about being nervous, all I could see was putting a new set of projectors on the credit card if I messed up. Turns out that mod is very simple. We all know how it goes so I'll just leave some pictures here.

I used that fancy Nissan butyl rubber sealant to reseal the headlights. It's very easy to work with and very cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Then I got thirsty. More tea.

Moment of truth...

I didn't get as fancy as other members who used pop rivets. I just went for a few self tapping screws in each one.

Final result.

That's about it for now. I'm keeping an open eye for a set of the JDM rain visors but otherwise, I'll be just about finished with the exterior. It'll be lowered again at some point but I'm in no rush.
Batman722

haha reminds me of this

Syaoran
I know how you feel. It took my last body shop to replace a bumper that I brought him, a fender that I brought to him, and paint those around 1 and a half months... a week of work in over 45 days...
The_enD
Mine is a daily driver and I can't have her be away for that long. 4 months is just crazy. And that's why I do my own body work. It is not perfect, but it meets my needs and it's cheap, paid just for materials.

I do this all the time. Put it in a bottle, add some sugar and then in the freezer - ice tea.
Keiri
Great progress Dan - that tea looks mighty tasty. wink.gif

Can't wait to see it all together and spiffy lookin'; small question though, did you go with GT-Four decals for the blocks because you'll be running a GT4 front end?

PS: I'll take those clear sidemarkers off your hands when you and the missus are readying to let them go.
enderswift
Damn this car is gonna be sexy
richee3
QUOTE (Batman722 @ Jul 6, 2013 - 10:07 PM) *
haha reminds me of this
(snip)

What seemed to be the issue at hand here? Swapping JDM clear lens onto USDM housing?

QUOTE (Syaoran @ Jul 6, 2013 - 11:48 PM) *
I know how you feel. It took my last body shop to replace a bumper that I brought him, a fender that I brought to him, and paint those around 1 and a half months... a week of work in over 45 days...

Wow, really? At least I'm not alone in waiting far too long for a simple job... Fortunately I don't have to pay for the amount of time the car spends there, just for the work performed.

QUOTE (The_enD @ Jul 7, 2013 - 2:42 AM) *
Mine is a daily driver and I can't have her be away for that long. 4 months is just crazy. And that's why I do my own body work. It is not perfect, but it meets my needs and it's cheap, paid just for materials.

I do this all the time. Put it in a bottle, add some sugar and then in the freezer - ice tea.

My original plan was to rent a car for a few weeks while the Celica was getting painted, then last November Brigette and I agreed to buy an SUV to cruise around in winter months, haul the dogs around with, for me to drive back and forth to work (regrettably I do not work in a clean place, nor a sports-car friendly place.) Turns out that buying a third car was a great decision, I would be walking to work by now. I couldn't afford to rent a car for this long. The ice tea is actually a great idea. I've never considered freezing it. That would be great for me to take to work.

QUOTE (Keiri @ Jul 7, 2013 - 10:43 AM) *
Great progress Dan - that tea looks mighty tasty. wink.gif

Can't wait to see it all together and spiffy lookin'; small question though, did you go with GT-Four decals for the blocks because you'll be running a GT4 front end?

PS: I'll take those clear sidemarkers off your hands when you and the missus are readying to let them go.

The tea was indeed delicious. Or I might have burned it. I don't remember. It's been too long. laugh.gif We actually couldn't care less about having the riser blocks labeled as "GT-Four" riser blocks, nor do we intend to lead people on to believe that this car is more than it actually is. We couldn't decide if we wanted to go for the decals or not, but eventually decided we wanted a small black accent somewhere to complement the roof and license plate bezel. So we didn't buy the decals because they say "GT-Four," but instead because they are simple and black and will hopefully be visually appealing. We put way too much thought into that. The sidemarkers are yours. We just need to pick them up from the body shop.

QUOTE (enderswift @ Jul 7, 2013 - 11:35 AM) *
Damn this car is gonna be sexy

I hope so. My patience for driving a slow SUV that doesn't even have a real transmission is wearing thin. I can't wait to see your car with a set of Enkei's. smile.gif
BonzaiCelica
why don't you get the ss-3 decals for riser blocks?

so all looks good so far. nice choice on color.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.