Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BEAMS and Emissions...
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Driver
I was just curious if I were to swap a 3S red top into my '97 would it still work with the OBD2 emissions stuff? I don't know how Japan does their emissions control, and seeing as how I have to get my car tested every so often, I want to make sure it'll all hook up. I did a 20 valve swap into my '93 Corolla and everything, for the most part, plugged and played but it was old enough not to go in for testing and it didn't even have On Board Diagnostics, it just had Toyota's scan port.

Also, my car is auto, I've seen a few people had done manual conversions and Tweak from Phoenix Tuning has done quite a few, how hard is it really to do? If it's above my level of skill, I would be happy with leaving it auto and still swapping in a red top, I heard those came auto as well. Although... I have yet to see a single auto swap show up on the internet.
2bcelica
OBD2 can port will no longer work after the swap . I'm sure there might be a way to get it to work, but I'm too lazy to find out. So in short you won't pass emission. If its a manual theres only like 5 wires to splice - real simple. If its auto then i believe it'll involve the same 5 wires just get the ECU for an auto BEAMs.
hurley97
I've actually tried to make the OBD2 port in our Beams to work, my US code scanner doesn't recognize whatever info the ECU reads out.

What I did was use the Beams wiring diagrams to figure out what wires went to what in the ECU then cross reference them with the US OBD2 port pinouts that would read the same things. I had to use the 97 wiring book, a wiring book for a 7th gen, but I still have yet to find where to put the tach signal to. Whether or not that is what's making it not work, I'm not sure.

It's been said that you have to get a universal or UK code reader to make it work, which defeats the purpose since the state inspection machines in the US still won't read it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.