Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clockspring question - help!?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
GriffGirl
So I installed my airbag wiring harness adapter the other night, reset the airbag ECU, and all was good and right with the world. The next morning I go to back out of my driveway, and as I back onto the street & turn the wheel, there's resistance, like something's tugging on it, but I'm in traffic and I HAVE to turn it. So I do, and I hear a SNAP from inside the steering wheel, but now it turns just fine. And just like that, I had about 10 seconds of no airbag light and now of course it's back on... blaringly red, taunting me. I hate that little man.

I checked my connector last night, and it looks fine, nothing came disconnected. Couldn't reset the airbag ECU though, light will NOT go off. I'm wondering if I snapped my clockspring. What methods are there for me to check? I'm so dismayed... kindasad.gif

edit: just went out and checked my horn. No horn. damnit all to H-E-double hockey sticks. Cruise isn't a good test, not sure if I got it connected properly, just resoldered it last night anyway.
hurley97
I think you may have a bad clockspring. The horn runs through it, the airbag, and the cruise. So if your airbag light is on and the horn doesn't work and the cruise doesn't work (assuming) then that's probably your issue.

Off topic... your ST came with cruise but no power windows and doors? Why would someone order a car with cruise but no power locks and windows?
GriffGirl
QUOTE (hurley97 @ Apr 8, 2010 - 5:30 PM) *
Off topic... your ST came with cruise but no power windows and doors? Why would someone order a car with cruise but no power locks and windows?

Beats the hell outta me... maybe it was someone's idea of a bad joke. Or someone figured they could just put the cruise control on so that they could reach way the hell across the car to roll up/down the passenger side window. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif (but not adjust the mirror, mind you. It came equipped with power mirrors, too)

I think you're right about the clockspring. I won't even tell you what I did to make it snap, but I'll just say it was SHEER stupidity and lesson learned. I found one on car-part.com at a yard in Utah for $45, I'll have it in my stupid little hands on Wednesday.

Dangercart1
My airbag light is on right now, I just recently took the dash apart in a futile attempt to change my heater core, and since i put it back together the light has been on, I can't find any loose or damaged wires, so i tried to reset the airbag ECU, only to find out that I don't know how. So how do you go about resetting the airbag ECU? Also i should add that my lovely girlfriend dropped a magnet on top of the airbag computer that is located under the center console while I had it apart. I was told that this should have no affect since the battery was disconnected. Any help would be very appreciated, Thanks!
trdproven
I'm beginning to realize, as I have my own thread on air bags, is that I tried resetting mine and it still leaves the light on. If there is something truly wrong with your air bag system, the light will stay on no matter what. For our old cars, its not even worth repairing the air bag systems unless you can get cheap or free sensors if thats the problem, if its the air bag or the module, if you can't get it cheap, forget it, its easier just to remove the bulb in the cluster.
hatchy_gt-s
Yep that would be a broken clock spring, you might have installed it backwards or just off center and the wheel was not aligned with the clock spring(cant tell you how many new tech's I see do this). They are pretty delicate things, the best way to make sure it doesn't happen again is to after installing the spring and the wheel lift the front end up so that the wheels are off the ground and turn the wheel, if it binds then you are back to square one.
DGAF
I also believe you busted your clock spring. Don't forget there is a specific procedure to center the clockspring before installation. Basically you have to count the amount of turns it makes when you spin it with your hand before instalation, using that information you know how many turns are necessary to have it centered, Then you have to center the front tires and the steering wheel. That's it, you are ready to install.

One of the steps was missed and that is why you felt that tension when you where turning you wheel. I'm sorry to say i don't think it can be fixes so you may have to buy a new one.

Good Luck! smile.gif
GriffGirl
Yes, I'm quite sure that I broke my clock spring, I heard it snap. Well, the wire inside, that is. So, here's the deal and why I just did it to myself out of sheer stupidity. I didn't INSTALL it - I never took it out. I did however replace my wheel w/a 3-spoke one, and I've been struggling a little with the airbag wiring, CC wiring, etc blah blah blah that's all sorted out now. So I work out the wiring correctly, reset my airbag ECU, and BAM! The airbag man stays off, FINALLY, even after I've started the car. So I'm stoked! I go flying out the driveway backing out, feel that wheel tension, and snap.

Somehow, for some damn reason, I had it in my head that I should just follow the instructions on the clockspring and wind it 3 times counterclockwise, line up the arrows, and reassemble the wheel. I've taken my wheel apart probably 5 times since I swapped it in, and hadn't done this BEFORE, but for some reason I was like a moth to the flame on this one, and decided that's what I was supposed to do. So, basically, I took a perfectly good clockspring, wound it for no good reason, and broke it.

I found one on http://www.car-part.com at a salvage yard in like PA or UT or something for $45, and it is currently sitting about 5" away from me on my desk. This time, I'm following the directions thoroughly and correctly. Winding it counterclockwise approximately 5 turns until it feels noticeably taut, then turning it 3 turns clockwise until the red arrows line up. I also put a sticky note to remind myself that I've already done it, so I don't forget and break this one, too.

Results to follow tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.