Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to check for w/ New Engine
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
ake126
Hey,

So my Celica GT's axle broke and took some of the engine with it. I got a replacement 5S-FE and am having a shop install it. My question's are:

1) Is there a VIN on the engine to make sure the mileage on it is correct.

2) What should I check for when I go pick up the car?

Smaay
there should be a plate with the VIN on it. im just not sure where it is. come to think of it when i did mt 5S-FE rebuild i dont remember seeing that plate. I do know the 1ZZ and 2ZZ have them
808celica
look down the throttle body. smell the o2 sensor area and if possible the sensor itself
hatchy_gt-s
The vin is on the block right about the oil pan next to the transmission

If a shop is installing the motor have them show the compression test readings and if they are a professional shop they should have a NOX/Emissions tester, have them run the car on that. Other things you can check for:(after a couple days of driving) any leaks(oil, rad.,power steering), spark plugs(hot, oily, corrosion, exe.). Make sure you dont run it hard(over 3000rpm) until you have done the 500 mile break in period.
ake126
QUOTE (Smaay @ Apr 18, 2010 - 7:21 PM) *
there should be a plate with the VIN on it. im just not sure where it is. come to think of it when i did mt 5S-FE rebuild i dont remember seeing that plate. I do know the 1ZZ and 2ZZ have them

I've been asking around about this and it seems that there was no VIN printed on the engine during this time. I find that really weird. I'm going to try what hatchy_gt-s said though, so we'll see.

QUOTE (808celica @ Apr 19, 2010 - 2:18 AM) *
look down the throttle body. smell the o2 sensor area and if possible the sensor itself

Sorry for the noobish question, but what am I smelling it for? Like, what scent?

QUOTE (hatchy_gt-s @ Apr 19, 2010 - 7:51 AM) *
The vin is on the block right about the oil pan next to the transmission

If a shop is installing the motor have them show the compression test readings and if they are a professional shop they should have a NOX/Emissions tester, have them run the car on that. Other things you can check for:(after a couple days of driving) any leaks(oil, rad.,power steering), spark plugs(hot, oily, corrosion, exe.). Make sure you dont run it hard(over 3000rpm) until you have done the 500 mile break in period.

^I'm going to try looking for that VIN. Thankfully, there doesn't appear to be any leaks.

For the break in period, I was under the assumption that its better for the engine to bring it up to high rmp's. It helps to seal the seals and such. I'm still trying to learn about cars so if I say something wrong, please correct me.

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it.
Smaay
thats right, now i remember, its there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.