Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: really need help with this one!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
replica250
hi all im still having low and uneven idle problems with my gt st202, i did a full survive, magnicor leads and irudum plugs, arm and cap, all filters and oil and reset the timeing 10 degrees btdc with the two point in the multi plug brigded as the last owner had it over over advansed, new samco rad hoses and rad fluid, got a massive air lock wich was a pig to get rid of but am still loesing water, the same amount no more no less and the expancion tank level never changes so im asuming the cap is leacking steam but cant be sure so today orded a new rad cap, and changed the engine coolent tep sensor.
but it still dont want to play ball,
my throttle stop screw has been moved at some point as theres no paint on it and i was wondering if any one knew how to rest the butterfly gap as it not going to run properly untill its back to standard, the guy that owned this car before was a trainee grease munky, what a dickhead!
so does any one please plaese know how to reset the throttle body, ihave a feeler guage just need to now what to do, rusty im looking at you!
buy the way the idel sits under the last line before the 1k line and if it ever sits inbetween its so smooth its like the car isnt running at all, who designs a car with no idle ajustment screw?...
Rusty
Hello, got your pm but will reply here.

Right I'll do my best to help you. smile.gif

hi all im still having low and uneven idle problems with my gt st202, i did a full survive, magnicor leads and irudum plugs, arm and cap, all filters and oil and reset the timeing 10 degrees btdc with the two point in the multi plug brigded as the last owner had it over over advansed, new samco rad hoses and rad fluid, got a massive air lock wich was a pig to get rid of but am still loesing water, the same amount no more no less and the expancion tank level never changes so im asuming the cap is leacking steam but cant be sure so today orded a new rad cap, and changed the engine coolent tep sensor.
but it still dont want to play ball

Thats no good about the water still leaking, hopefully the cap is faulty. But if thats not the case. Is there a puddle on the ground or undertray? Trace it back to the source..

my throttle stop screw has been moved at some point as theres no paint on it and i was wondering if any one knew how to rest the butterfly gap as it not going to run properly untill its back to standard, the guy that owned this car before was a trainee grease munky, what a dickhead!
so does any one please plaese know how to reset the throttle body, ihave a feeler guage just need to now what to do, rusty im looking at you!
buy the way the idel sits under the last line before the 1k line and if it ever sits inbetween its so smooth its like the car isnt running at all, who designs a car with no idle ajustment screw?...

Right you said it drives fine (as said in the pm) however it idles really bad.
http://www.celicagt.nl/Docs/st202_rm396e.pdf <<Your new best friend if you haven't looked

My first ideas, it should'nt be a gap in-between the manifold and TB, as this should increased the revs, most likely to but leak or block in a vacuum line check all

Diagnosis (page 23 of 495)
Here I've just cut and pasted idle problems, start with the easy ones then move onto the harder jobs (even if you have done the timing belt for example, double check everything that the timing isn't off)

but I really need to know more on how bad the idle is, can you post a video up, of rev guage and engine bay.
replica250
alright there rusty, i had the car diognostic checked to day as well as the vac lines and there nothing to report the guy rekoned so its coming down to the throttle body, dirty icv or valve timeing and the water leak if its not the cap letting out aerated water from the red,
ive pritty much done all the other servicing on the car so valves are a posibilaty,
it could be coolent to cylinder leack cuasing low idle and couse the water loss even thoughit never drops below a curten level and no matter how warm the car gets the temp gage nver gets to half way, just under infact, and the kid i got the car off said hed just fitted a new theromstat just before i bought the car.
and i know for a fact as when i got the car ther was no paint on the throttle stop screw that hed moved it and so have i trying to geet the car to idle normaly and smoothly, so im leaning toward the throttle butter fly at the moment as i know it s not right, if the porb perstists then ive crossed that off the list at least and i know its a ok.
so whats involved in restting the throttle stop, fully closed or air gap, etc etc etc? as i wanna hit that first before it gets to the money money money stuff like the head!
chees jay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.