Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: resonator
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
d3ath2009
i have the 7a-fe with a magnaflow muffler and i wanna know if i should cut off the stock resonator and straight pipe it for a louder sound and better tone or not. im pretty sure the muffler i have acts as a resonator itself, so is the stock one just counter acting it or is it still needed?
HectortheRican
Sorry to add to this thread, but I've also got the same question for a 7AFE, but for a GReddy SP2 catback.
Galcobar
Mufflers are not resonators.

Mufflers are either absorptive or baffled, a resonator is neither of these.

A resonator is an echo chamber which bounces soundwaves into each other, cancelling them out. This somewhat reduces the volume, but more importantly it smoothes the tone. That Civic with the buzzy aftermarket exhaust does not have a resonator on it.

The trouble is that most exhaust pieces sold as resonators are not resonators. They are round-bodied mufflers, which have the same general exterior shape as a resonator. It's kind of like selling a GameBoy as a smartphone, because they're both handheld electronics. A resonator does not include any fibreglass, insulation, absorptive material, ceramic mat, steel wool or the like. Anything which does is an absorptive muffler, which if properly designed is very good at reducing an exhaust's volume without significantly impairing exhaust flow.

Here's how to tell the difference in person -- tap on the item. If it rings like a bell, it's a resonator. If it responds with a dull clank, it's an absorptive muffler.
GriffGirl
If you cut the resonator (or absorptive muffler) off, your exhaust will be much louder. So, "should" you cut it off? That's entirely up to you, and depends on how loud you want your car to be.

When I had my exhaust done (2.25" cat-back w/TRD style canister muffler) I didn't have the resonator put back on. I drove it around like that for a few months, but then it just started to bother me, it was just too loud for my taste. I liked the deep exhaust note, I just didn't want it to be heard a mile away. So I wound up going back and having a resonator put on, and now I'm very happy with the sound of my exhaust.

So in short, it's just a matter of personal preference (and whatever laws that may affect you)
blu94gt
In my personal opinion, while it's not legal most places you go and only sounds good on certain cars, is to run just a resonator with no muffler. Paint the resonator and you can pass it off as an in-line muffler.

Couple videos of different resonator setups to compare sound
350z resonator vid
No resonator
mgnt232
Hope I can Help as I have a 7A with magnaflow tongue.gif
I have vids from stock -to- Magnaflow Muff, with a Magnaflow Res -to- now with Headers and 2" piping

Now I never had the new muff without the res, but my friend has a saturn CL2 with just a straight pipe (engines are about the same really) with the same muffler, and it doesn't sound as deep as my second video.
I would suggest it if you are looking for a deeper tone, especially if you get headers down the road because my headers gave me more power, but took away from the LOW growly noise. Can only imagine if I didnt have the res, it would sound not as low.

Anyways Links to all the vids

Stock (can hear the CAI)

With Magnaflow Muffler and Resonator

With headers

Hope it helps a little, any questions feel free to ask smile.gif
Bitter
sounds better with only the resonator.
d3ath2009
QUOTE (mgnt232 @ May 20, 2010 - 9:26 PM) *
I have vids from stock -to- Magnaflow Muff, with a Magnaflow Res -to- now with Headers and 2" piping

Now I never had the new muff without the res, but my friend has a saturn CL2 with just a straight pipe (engines are about the same really) with the same muffler, and it doesn't sound as deep as my second video.
I would suggest it if you are looking for a deeper tone, especially if you get headers down the road because my headers gave me more power, but took away from the LOW growly noise. Can only imagine if I didnt have the res, it would sound not as low.

Stock (can hear the CAI)

With headers

i like the sound of yours with the headers..... so if im interpreting this right, with the stock headers and magnaflow exhaust, it should sound close to that w/o a resonator..... i think its too quite right now, it sounds like the muffler isnt pushing the tone it could be... and i think i may have the same muffler as you, if its not, its really close to it.

QUOTE (Bitter @ May 20, 2010 - 10:25 PM) *

im not cutting off my muffler to leave just the resonator.... ive got too much money (although its not a tremendous amount, its enough not to just throw it away) to just cut off a magnaflow muffler and leave a stock resonator on it
nics
QUOTE (Galcobar @ May 20, 2010 - 1:37 PM) *
Mufflers are not resonators.

Mufflers are either absorptive or baffled, a resonator is neither of these.

A resonator is an echo chamber which bounces soundwaves into each other, cancelling them out. This somewhat reduces the volume, but more importantly it smoothes the tone. That Civic with the buzzy aftermarket exhaust does not have a resonator on it.

The trouble is that most exhaust pieces sold as resonators are not resonators. They are round-bodied mufflers, which have the same general exterior shape as a resonator. It's kind of like selling a GameBoy as a smartphone, because they're both handheld electronics. A resonator does not include any fibreglass, insulation, absorptive material, ceramic mat, steel wool or the like. Anything which does is an absorptive muffler, which if properly designed is very good at reducing an exhaust's volume without significantly impairing exhaust flow.

Here's how to tell the difference in person -- tap on the item. If it rings like a bell, it's a resonator. If it responds with a dull clank, it's an absorptive muffler.

ah the resonator expert laugh.gif
trdproven
exhaust don't sound that well without a resonator. sometimes just not having a catalytic on certain catbacks sound ugly already esp. if the muffler is generic.
SpardaXVII
QUOTE (trdproven @ May 21, 2010 - 1:42 AM) *
exhaust don't sound that well without a resonator. sometimes just not having a catalytic on certain catbacks sound ugly already esp. if the muffler is generic.

This really, I took my stock header off (stock has a built in cat) and it sounded louder and I liked the sound at first.
Then I hit above 3000RPM and it was unbelievably raspy. I had a magnaflow muffler on with the stock exhaust manifold and it sounded nice and deep. Once I replaced that manifold though it was so raspy and obnoxious.
A couple weeks later I decided to throw a resonator on there and it's back to sounding as it was before I replaced the header.(the way I liked it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UY7zh-sIYQ
Video of current setup for reference.

Bitter
QUOTE (d3ath2009 @ May 20, 2010 - 11:06 PM) *
QUOTE (mgnt232 @ May 20, 2010 - 9:26 PM) *

Stock (can hear the CAI)

With headers

i like the sound of yours with the headers..... so if im interpreting this right, with the stock headers and magnaflow exhaust, it should sound close to that w/o a resonator..... i think its too quite right now, it sounds like the muffler isnt pushing the tone it could be... and i think i may have the same muffler as you, if its not, its really close to it.

QUOTE (Bitter @ May 20, 2010 - 10:25 PM) *

im not cutting off my muffler to leave just the resonator.... ive got too much money (although its not a tremendous amount, its enough not to just throw it away) to just cut off a magnaflow muffler and leave a stock resonator on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtDfh_dJriY
7A-FE with ebay header and otherwise stock exhaust and no muffler.
trdproven
yupp headers push out a lot more air esp. since it removes the first cat on the GTs dunno about the STs. rasppyyy

keep in mind different intake setups like filters and 3" will improve the sound overall too.
mgnt232
yeah the ST has a pre-cat in the manifold as well. Once mine was replaced with the headers and new downpipe, it did loose some of the LOW LOW noise, but still much preferred over my friends who doesn't have a res. it just sounds like said before, kinda raspy.
When I was thinking of doing my cat-back and starting the exhaust, I got alot of people who told me it was the only way to do, especially since I was thinking about the headers.
again any questions, about anything I can answer them as I have done the exact same thing (with person experience in messing up tongue.gif)
Bitter
strange, i had no rasp except for at part throttle and that was flex section noise (cheap ebay stuff).
HectortheRican
So wait, I love the bassy tone of my SP2, if I get headers, will my Celi lose that bassy tone? Because I don't wanna sound ricey
JuMPiiN
I have headers with all my cats deleted ( straight pipe ) with a 2.25 from the header straight back with no resonator just a maganaflow muffler and a nice tip and it isnt like CRAZY lound like the riced civics here but its loud and has a nice tone to it. its only raspy if you get it into the higher RPM's like 5500+ but i rarely go over that.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (JuMPiiN @ May 22, 2010 - 2:21 AM) *
I have headers with all my cats deleted ( straight pipe ) with a 2.25 from the header straight back with no resonator just a maganaflow muffler and a nice tip and it isnt like CRAZY lound like the riced civics here but its loud and has a nice tone to it. its only raspy if you get it into the higher RPM's like 5500+ but i rarely go over that.

I've got a cat back, so that's gonna stay there, will it sounds a little deeper because of that? Because I'm so proud of my car's exhaust note, I don't want it to drastixally change because of a few hp haha
Spider77
Don't butcher your SP2! Please don't do that! You have a nice exhaust system on there (mostly for bragging right) that most of us cant get (as its been dis-continued). If you go and cut it up and slap on a new anything you just devalue it. But If your planning on keeping the Celica forever, then do whatever you want. But I wouldn't touch it.
JuMPiiN
QUOTE (Spider77 @ May 22, 2010 - 11:11 AM) *
Don't butcher your SP2! Please don't do that! You have a nice exhaust system on there (mostly for bragging right) that most of us cant get (as its been dis-continued). If you go and cut it up and slap on a new anything you just devalue it. But If your planning on keeping the Celica forever, then do whatever you want. But I wouldn't touch it.

I agree if you have a nice Cat Back Exhaist system ( which i cant find anywhere without paying a arm and a leg ) keep it just like it is. I couldnt find one and i went to a shop here that does custom exhaust and there quote was 1500$ for a full complete custom exhaust. So just keep your axle back.
Spider77
Say what? 1500? I paid less than 400 for mine! I'm running Magnaflow res and muff.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Spider77 @ May 22, 2010 - 11:11 AM) *

Yeah I won't cut off the resonator, but you're saying I shouldn't get headers??
Spider77
A header, fine. But dont touch that cat-back! Or I will never have a good nights sleep again. OK< im sure I will, but it'll be a shame if you jack up that SP2!
mgnt232
No I dont think he's thinking of touching the cat-back, just wants to know if he should get headers.
My opinion, if you really like the exhaust note now, I wouldn't get headers. If you listen to the clips I posted you can hear the headers took away from the low note. But then again I got my headers for about $90 shipped so if you find some cheap ones you could always (check the return policy) and test them out for a day. If you dont like them send um back, you would be out maybe $25-30 for shipping back.
Headers do add a little power in the higher RPM's and speeds, but take a away a little of the the lower.
but all up to you-
JuMPiiN
Headers yes... cutting the axle back NO lol. and yea 1400 thats insane. said ( my bends were really complicated ) i even took them a picture of one i got off here thats basically straight back
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Spider77 @ May 22, 2010 - 1:15 PM) *
A header, fine. But dont touch that cat-back! Or I will never have a good nights sleep again. OK< im sure I will, but it'll be a shame if you jack up that SP2!

I promise I won't touch it! And I just love how it's over-axle biggrin.gif
JuMPiiN
Mine is underneath if im not mistaken. But thats just bc i wanted straights.
Spider77
I know its over axle, I've talked to the former owner.....Anyhow, lime I said it would be a shame for you to chop it up. Slap a header on it, and call it a day. Then come to the meets!
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Spider77 @ May 22, 2010 - 2:21 PM) *
I know its over axle, I've talked to the former owner.....Anyhow, lime I said it would be a shame for you to chop it up. Slap a header on it, and call it a day. Then come to the meets!

Header will have to wait sir, I just ordered the Megan coilovers that have been on GB forever. But they're on back order so I need to wait about 2 more weeks
Spider77
Well Im sure that you will be pleased with the coil overs. I know youve been wanting to go lower for a bit.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Spider77 @ May 22, 2010 - 3:14 PM) *
Well Im sure that you will be pleased with the coil overs. I know youve been wanting to go lower for a bit.

It'll satisfy that need, plus 3 of my struts are blown so it's necessary maintenance/upgrade. Nothing better than taking advantage of a problem and getting nice things.
csscza
hey you guys in texas after adding a E header do you have any problems with emissions?? also can we remove the TWC with out emission problems? FT Worht here!
Spider77
I'll let you know when im up for emissions! The place I go, they dont really check under the hood, or make sure the lights work even. Just hook it up and go. But for the past two times (and all the previous MD inspec with stock) its been way way way below max. So im hoping it wont effect it that much. And if it does, well, Im still going to try to get that sticker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.