Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warm up?? Cooling down??
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
PlanetFuzz
I have heard so many different sides to this....what do you guys think about warming up a car and letting it sit after it is driven. Does it help the engine?
Uppitycracker
QUOTE (PlanetFuzz @ Nov 15, 2003 - 6:58 PM)
I have heard so many different sides to this....what do you guys think about warming up a car and letting it sit after it is driven. Does it help the engine?

Ummm as far as I know thats more with forced induction engines. Improper cooling down can warp parts, in particular the exhaust manifold. I always let my car warm up in cold weather, I dont know if it helps, Id assume it gets all the liquids moving around and what not.
van95st
you should always let a car warm up for a few seconds before taking off and putting load on the engine, for how long depends on the weather outside. As far as cool down it is my understanding that this is essential in a tuboed car. If you don't the oil that is in the tufbo will burn if the bearings inside are too hot, and over time this will cake up and lead to bearing failure . That is the whole purpose of a turbo timer, it lets you get out of your car while it keeps it running for a predetermined amount of time to cool down the internals of the turbo.
Supersprynt
Letting a car sit running for too long isnt great for it either. Warm up is only necessary if you dont wanna get into a cold car.
yep
One day when i had some time i read most of the manual and it said not to let the engine idle for more than 20 minutes.
97sccelica
i have remote start, and in the morning i start the car as part of my get ready for school routine.

by time i get to the car its all ready to go(the car is sluggish when cold), and after driving for more than 10 minutes i let it cool down for 1 to 2 minutes(turbo timer feature built into my alarm)

but then i have a turbo on the car, so dont compare yourself to me.
SpedToe169
It really isn't necessary to let a car warm up to temp unless you have forged pistons. They expand a lot when hot, so the cold tolerances are quite large. Running such an engine hard when its cold will destroy it. To my knowledge none of the celicas came with forged pistons (although the GT4 may have).

Cooling down doesn't hurt if you've been running the car hard, but its not necessary unless you're running a turbo and even then it depends on how you've been driving and your setup.
LatinKraze
Dammit, its kindda cold here in vegas. I just turned on my car and i hear some kindda rattling noise b4 it warms up. Gotta find out what it is, Any suggestions on where to start?? Seems to be a loose screw under the motor to one of those plastic things.
van95st
cold in vegas you say? it's currently about -30F here! frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif
LatinKraze
Lol, i should be thankful then. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.