Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rebuilt Cylinder head now wont start
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
csscza
just like it says I got a reman cylinder head and changed all gaskets put everything back together and now wont start. So anybody have an idea as to what I address next? This is my sons car and I really want to get it going. Thanx in advance.
Could it be timing? camshaft position? Im pretty sure I got all the timing marks lined up. Distributor position? The search begins.
D-Man
94-95 or 96-99?

is it cranking? (or trying to atleast) or nothing from key-turn.

and if it is cranking, do you have any funny smells?
csscza
yeah just checked for spark and it seems to be getting some spark. cranks fine. get alot of gas smell, but Im worried about cranking it to much but it seems to be turning over smoothly. AAAAHGHHHHHH
D-Man
are your camshafts placed on in the proper position? in proper alignment to cylindrical positioning?

The spark that you're getting~ (if you're putting a metalic object in the SP wire or looking at a SP) is it firing at even intervals? Or is it just sparking like crazy. (souled be spark-wait-spark-wait-spark-wait) ect.

But first i wanna know about these camshafts. If you didn't put the timing belt on with the camshafts back in perfect rotation with your crank shaft. NOTHING is going to work right.
csscza
well I thought I did. I used the timing marks, not the other ones, and used the tdc on crank. Doulbe checked it too. do you think I should pull cover off and redo cranks>?
just checked spark and it was sparking at a good intreval and checked firing order and am now wondering if it might be fuel related. From being totally cleaned out maybe . Hell I dont know
Jamchell
Another question, does it sputter or pop occasionally, did you properly clock the distributor to tdc when you re-installed it? It's not as simple as dropping the distributor back in, you have to make sure its on the right gear tooth and the rotor points in the right direction.
csscza
yep I put it TDC and checked for piston 1 in cap. oh yeah thanx for answering. You guys ROCK!
Jamchell
Ok that's good, maybe if you are unsure of the timing marks you could remove top cover, turn it to TDC then take a picture of the cam sprocket and post it for confirmation. It seems like if you have spark and fuel, then it would have to be a valve or ignition timing issue causing this.

Also, I would check compression all cylinders should be above 170. This would tell you if the valve timing is off. To get a basic feel for it if you dont have a compression gauge try turning it over with a wrench at the crankshaft pulley and see if you feel the the cylinders building pressure.
D-Man
QUOTE (Jamchell @ May 29, 2010 - 5:08 PM) *
Ok that's good, maybe if you are unsure of the timing marks you could remove top cover, turn it to TDC then take a picture of the cam sprocket and post it for confirmation. It seems like if you have spark and fuel, then it would have to be a valve or ignition timing issue causing this.

Also, I would check compression all cylinders should be above 170.

x2!

again; is this a 94-95 or a 96-99? The two ignition systems are infact different.
csscza
95 I dont think its getting fuel. damn I hate to have to pull the intake to get at the rail again.
Jamchell
Quick test for that is to spray a bit of starting fluid in the TB and see if it starts up for a second. If so then move on to checking the fuel system, don't completely rule out coincidental problems like a bad fuel pump things go wrong at the oddest of times I've found.
D-Man
didn't you say you smelled fuel? so it's going somewhere.

Pull one injector then.

or here's an easy method (not the pro's way of doing it though.)

Pop your backseat out. (2 snaps; just pull it hard) Turn your key but not all the way. Did you hear the fuel pump buzzing?

NO=Fuelpump out
YES=next step

Locate your fuel filter (d/s by wheel well) and remove the line. let it leak, then replace. Start it a few times. Remove the line; Did it leak?

NO=Fuel Filter/fuel lines
YES=next step

you can unplug the SP wires, crank it a few times, then plug them back in, and crank some more. This will flood your engine with fuel and when you crank with the SP wires engaged then you'll burn the excess flooded fuel. It'll smell like fuel threw you're exhaust. (dont do it too much though, it's not good for the engine in excess) Did it smell like fuel?

NO=Rail/injectors
YES=N/P with fuel system.

QUOTE (Jamchell @ May 29, 2010 - 5:28 PM) *
don't completely rule out coincidental problems like a bad fuel pump things go wrong at the oddest of times I've found.

BEST ADVICE EVER!!!!!

rofl. (it's only funny because, it's happened to us all. and it fcuking sucks!!)
csscza
well my son just advised me that the manual was wrong about the firing order . So now the car tries to start but just wont continously fire. acts like it wants to but just wont kick over. could that be timing/ cams off?
Jamchell
Well a Celica will still run if the valve timing is off by 1 tooth you will just notice a severe loss of power, more than 1 tooth will net you the "try to start" symptom. Also did you mark the distributor housing, often times the housing will retain a "bolt head outline" which will help you re-align it if you forgot to mark it.

It definitely sounds like you have a timing issue now, I'm almost positive something didn't get aligned quite perfectly on the install,(left field... perhaps the distributor cap got damaged). You might have to backtrack and recheck everything ,maybe post a picture of your timing marks too. No worries, it happens to us all at some point.
csscza
I agree tomorrow I redo the timing belt and reset the cams. I think its the timing also. sounds like it wants to start but just wont. Thanx for the encouragement it helps. also just realised I forgot to put the heat sheild under the exhaust manifold. This isnt going very good.

anyone know a good toyota mechanic in Ft Worth?
D-Man
is Kharma your son?

PM
I have a 95 celica Gt. I have a question for you and you seem to know your stuff. If the number 4 piston for the spark plug is connected to the number 1 spot on distributor and 3 to the 2 so forth would that cause the engine to crank but not turn over?
Thanks for your time.

because i've already advised him properly. Read the PM.

EDIT:
If so then work as a team on the board. Don't divide and conquer - lol. Get a post moving and run as many details as possible. From Both of you. that one little thing you dont think to mention may be the defining factor!!

AND when you include PM's then both of you get into it! Best way for multi-user-problem-solving. lol.

read PM.

Post Response.

Jamchell and others may have good info to throw down. PM this link to the big hitter's on this site. start with manny and jim and steven ect.

(examples listed= Pressure2 _JIM_ and STEVENLEE)
Kharma
Ok well me and csscza got the car started after a week or so break from working on it. The timing belt was off. When we were aligning the camshaft timing pulley we used the wrong hole. There was a circle and U and we didn't use the U. Anyways we realigned everything and it started today. Now there is some smoke that appears to be coming from where the TWC and exhaust pipe meet, but it doesn't smell like exhaust at all. The car also overheated a little, but it is probably just some air in the system and we are going to burp it tomorrow.
csscza
well i didnt realize that he was on also! Yeah we got it all running like a kitten! thanx for the help. I luv Celicas
chacha
white smoke...head gasket i think. need to be replaced or on wrong.
Bitter
QUOTE (chacha @ Jun 24, 2010 - 1:40 AM) *

I just LOVE how people jump to that so fast. more like his exhaust system and converter are full of RAW FUEL from cranking with the timing off and its burning off now.
chacha
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jun 24, 2010 - 8:14 AM) *

I just LOVE how people jump to that so fast. more like his exhaust system and converter are full of RAW FUEL from cranking with the timing off and its burning off now.

there could be a number of factors that could have caused it, but from my experience before, it turned out to be the head gasket; i said it could be. once replaced, the white smoke disappear, but i guess YOU know it all and maybe you should go to his place to help him fix it instead of throwing your opinion onto this thread. btw, I just LOVE how people are such helpful now and days with their arrogant comments.
csscza
I think both should read whole post, wow Cars running great now to put a exhaust manifold on. But first I have to make it through emissions.
stephen_lee
totally agree. my lexus kept 2 injectors open 100% of the time and i had WHITE smoke.... raw fuel. it was real cool

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jun 24, 2010 - 7:14 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.