Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7AFE camshaft grind
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
GriffGirl
Looking into getting my cams ground, keeping stock internals for the time being. Two questions: if I have my cams ground, do I need to re-shim the valves or any of that sort of stuff, or is this basically a "drop in"? I'm looking for more of an overall performance grind, with the intention of turboing the 7A in the hopefully not too distant future. So how much should I have ground? I know webcams has a numbered grind system, but I'm looking at having them done locally, and it'd be nice to sound at least a *little* bit like I know what I'm talking about. wink.gif
95CelicaST
Delta camshaft in Tacoma. Go over on pstoc and shoot them a message. They are a vendor over there. Jon the owner will answer all your camshaft questions.

Edit: http://www.pstoc.org/board
Batman722
you will have to re-shim the valves.
GriffGirl
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Jun 1, 2010 - 12:25 PM) *
Delta camshaft in Tacoma. Go over on pstoc and shoot them a message. They are a vendor over there. Jon the owner will answer all your camshaft questions.

Edit: http://www.pstoc.org/board

Gotcha.

QUOTE (Batman722 @ Jun 1, 2010 - 1:14 PM) *
you will have to re-shim the valves.

Gotcha too wink.gif

So what degree should I be looking for for an overall performance grind?
dans_st
I haven't looked into it on my boost 7A but from my other vehicles with boost I have always done close to stock duration, at least on exhaust, and more lift.

hope this helps some
hurley97
I'm pretty sure I have a spare set of cams in the basement if you want them, that will reduce down time while you have them re-ground. Mine are from Web Cams, they don't specifically make a set for the 7A so you have to have them custom made. I had them custom ground based on the fact that I was going to turbo the motor in the near future. I did drive the car with the motor stock and just the cams for like 13k miles. They basically didn't do very much on the low end (since the addition of a turbo would increase low end power) but it held out the power all the way to redline as opposed to dropping off in the mid rpm range.

All the following info is from my engine rebuild thread when I installed the cams, hope it helps a little...

QUOTE (hurley97 @ Dec 11, 2007 - 8:26 AM) *

QUOTE (hurley97 @ Dec 20, 2007 - 8:49 PM) *
QUOTE (normality78 @ Dec 19, 2007 - 1:31 AM) *

what is ur cam spec?

QUOTE (hurley97 @ Oct 10, 2007 - 7:46 PM) *
someone asked about re-shimming the valves so I took some pics before the valve cover went on today.

first you hand tighten the cams in (no need to torque them at this point) and turn it to top dead center. starting with one side first and using a feeler gauge...

do only the valves where the lobes are facing up. pull out the min and max sizes on the feeler gauge.
the minimum should fit between the shim and the cam lobe...

and the maximum should not fit all the way under the lobe at all...
Johnnyny

those look good
GriffGirl
Not only does this info help, it's actually what's inspired me to do this in the first place tongue.gif

I've been following your build(s) now since you started them, and have recently been referring back to your build thread quite frequently to study it for info, tips and ideas. I check Craigslist almost daily to look for Celica parts, which is how I stumbled on the post for the free 7AFE head. I appreciate the offer on the cams, I was actually gonna PM you if the free head (heh heh, I said free head) thing didn't work out, but I was able to pick it up on Saturday, so now I've got the cams & don't have to worry about down time! The head was described to me as most likely being warped; original owner blew the gasket so he just replaced the entire head. Makes no difference to me if the head is warped though, it's an opportunity to study it and learn it. I'll keep the cams (obviously) and the valve cover (yay!) and get a few bucks for scrap metal on the rest.

So I'm probably NOT going to send the cams to Web Cams, only because there's a few places local to me that can do it, and I kinda want to have them done in time for the Cali meet at the end of the month.

So the ultimate goal with these is yes, to increase top end performance. Because the low end will be covered with the turbo build. smile.gif It's gonna be a TEENSY turbo, I'm seeing what I can put together on a budget. I picked up a little twin entry T2 with the manifold (hoping I can use it for the flange? Not sure yet) for $60 this weekend. But I figure on stock internals, realistically I'm never gonna put out more than 200 HP, and the T2 is rated up to 225, so with a quick spool and lower heat, it should be a pretty good match and a GREAT starting point for my first build. Now that I've got the turbo, I just need everything else. kindasad.gif

If I print out that specs sheet you posted and take it to the place I'm having the cams done at, it contains enough information for them to basically replicate that, yes? Obviously the grind number isn't relevant to them, but the degreeing info is where it's at, correct?

QUOTE (hurley97 @ Jun 3, 2010 - 5:56 PM) *
I'm pretty sure I have a spare set of cams in the basement if you want them, that will reduce down time while you have them re-ground. Mine are from Web Cams, they don't specifically make a set for the 7A so you have to have them custom made. I had them custom ground based on the fact that I was going to turbo the motor in the near future. I did drive the car with the motor stock and just the cams for like 13k miles. They basically didn't do very much on the low end (since the addition of a turbo would increase low end power) but it held out the power all the way to redline as opposed to dropping off in the mid rpm range.

All the following info is from my engine rebuild thread when I installed the cams, hope it helps a little...

QUOTE (hurley97 @ Dec 20, 2007 - 8:49 PM) *
QUOTE (normality78 @ Dec 19, 2007 - 1:31 AM) *

what is ur cam spec?

QUOTE (hurley97 @ Oct 10, 2007 - 7:46 PM) *
someone asked about re-shimming the valves so I took some pics before the valve cover went on today.

first you hand tighten the cams in (no need to torque them at this point) and turn it to top dead center. starting with one side first and using a feeler gauge...

do only the valves where the lobes are facing up. pull out the min and max sizes on the feeler gauge.
the minimum should fit between the shim and the cam lobe...

and the maximum should not fit all the way under the lobe at all...

hurley97
QUOTE (GriffGirl @ Jun 7, 2010 - 1:04 PM) *
Not only does this info help, it's actually what's inspired me to do this in the first place tongue.gif

I've been following your build(s) now since you started them, and have recently been referring back to your build thread quite frequently to study it for info, tips and ideas. I check Craigslist almost daily to look for Celica parts, which is how I stumbled on the post for the free 7AFE head. I appreciate the offer on the cams, I was actually gonna PM you if the free head (heh heh, I said free head) thing didn't work out, but I was able to pick it up on Saturday, so now I've got the cams & don't have to worry about down time! The head was described to me as most likely being warped; original owner blew the gasket so he just replaced the entire head. Makes no difference to me if the head is warped though, it's an opportunity to study it and learn it. I'll keep the cams (obviously) and the valve cover (yay!) and get a few bucks for scrap metal on the rest.

So I'm probably NOT going to send the cams to Web Cams, only because there's a few places local to me that can do it, and I kinda want to have them done in time for the Cali meet at the end of the month.

So the ultimate goal with these is yes, to increase top end performance. Because the low end will be covered with the turbo build. smile.gif It's gonna be a TEENSY turbo, I'm seeing what I can put together on a budget. I picked up a little twin entry T2 with the manifold (hoping I can use it for the flange? Not sure yet) for $60 this weekend. But I figure on stock internals, realistically I'm never gonna put out more than 200 HP, and the T2 is rated up to 225, so with a quick spool and lower heat, it should be a pretty good match and a GREAT starting point for my first build. Now that I've got the turbo, I just need everything else. kindasad.gif

If I print out that specs sheet you posted and take it to the place I'm having the cams done at, it contains enough information for them to basically replicate that, yes? Obviously the grind number isn't relevant to them, but the degreeing info is where it's at, correct?

I would assume if they have the proper equipment to measure the stock degree and adjust it to the specs listed that should be all they need.
Just a little tip for building a 7A turbo, it will go over budget or not last very long, one or the other. I really didn't have a budget in mind, I just knew it was going to cost more than most people would think its worth. I just saw it as a huge learning experience and some fun. I learned a lot more than I thought I would, it took me like a year to really gather all the right parts and make sure I had everything I needed. The first year turbo'd was all about fine tuning everything from fuel management to the pcv system to the right spark plugs and gap. There wasn't too much info on turbo 7A's around here, plus I wanted to do a few things differently so there was some trial and error involved. I think my biggest mistake was not dyno tuning it as soon as possible after the turbo, that cost me a piston. A year and a half later and I'm finally enjoying the car and not fixing problems all the time. That means its time for a bigger turbo biggrin.gif
Smaay
Michelle you need to save your $$$ for another mod, and you know the mod im talking about smile.gif its going to be done for the meet!
GriffGirl
QUOTE (Smaay @ Jun 9, 2010 - 1:26 PM) *
Michelle you need to save your $$$ for another mod, and you know the mod im talking about smile.gif its going to be done for the meet!

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.