Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hic-up
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
6gc_ct
hello everyone,
I have a question about my car. Cant seem to find anything. But while at idle and holding the gas slightly, accelerating slowly, it seems as if it cuts out of fuel once it hits 2k, it will go back down to normal idle rpm then will increase again (still holding down the gas) and obviously it repeats itself.

I am throwing a code 25 (afr lean) and i have a hunch this might have something to do with it. any help and thought is appreciated, thank you
6gc_ct
nice
GriffGirl
QUOTE (6gc_ct @ Jun 2, 2010 - 1:30 PM) *
nice

What's that, some passive aggressive way of saying "uh, hello?" or "help, PLEASE" ? A simple "bump" would suffice.

There are quite a few things that can cause this problem you're experiencing. You could have a vacuum leak to the intake manifold; could be an EGR problem, or your IAC. Check all your vacuum hoses and make sure they're connected properly, not split, cracking/cracked, bulging, or otherwise compromised. Clean your IAC valve. Clean the whole throttle body for that matter. Then see what happens.
k-weaver
QUOTE (GriffGirl @ Jun 2, 2010 - 10:03 PM) *
QUOTE (6gc_ct @ Jun 2, 2010 - 1:30 PM) *
nice

What's that, some passive aggressive way of saying "uh, hello?" or "help, PLEASE" ? A simple "bump" would suffice.

There are quite a few things that can cause this problem you're experiencing. You could have a vacuum leak to the intake manifold; could be an EGR problem, or your IAC. Check all your vacuum hoses and make sure they're connected properly, not split, cracking/cracked, bulging, or otherwise compromised. Clean your IAC valve. Clean the whole throttle body for that matter. Then see what happens.

First of all...LOL

Second, I agree.
6gc_ct
yeah...i apologize guys, just had a really horrible day yesterday. sorry. will look into it though. thank you
terbear4god4life
QUOTE (6gc_ct @ Jun 4, 2010 - 1:42 PM) *
yeah...i apologize guys, just had a really horrible day yesterday. sorry. will look into it though. thank you

i understand frown.gif
6gc_ct
tried some stuff out, the surging was a mis-adjusted TPS no biggy. but still running lean, it might be my IACV but not sure. but one thing that i noticed is that i dont have the cold start function, it goes straint to low idle. and i have cleaned the valve already so that can be ruled out.
Bigblock
Just goning to toss in 2cents...
fuel filter been replaced? Pump maintaining pressure?

Does it " buck " like a noob learning to drive a stick??
6gc_ct
fuel filter recently replaced, and no it doesnt. drives like it normally would. it probably is something really stupid. but because its lean it can be a number of things thumbsdown.gif
Jamchell
You could try an in-line fuel injector cleaner. The type you remove a vacuum hose and feed into the engine while its running. Very possible you have 1 or more plugged injectors.
GriffGirl
QUOTE (Jamchell @ Jun 3, 2010 - 9:29 PM) *
You could try an in-line fuel injector cleaner. The type you remove a vacuum hose and feed into the engine while its running. Very possible you have 1 or more plugged injectors.

This is a really good idea, actually. It might not solve the problem, but it'll certainly help to eliminate potential causes, and you only stand to benefit from it. A lot of people on here have used Seafoam (it's a brand, not actual stuff from the ocean laugh.gif ) and I also highly recommend it. You can get it at most auto parts stores, Autozone, Oreilley's, etc. Fill up a CLEAN empty Gatorade Sport bottle or water bottle (the kind where the top pops up, not the kind w/the cap that unscrews) about halfway w/Seafoam, and cut the pop up top enough so you can fit a vacuum hose in. You can use your brake booster line. With the engine running, suck up the Seafoam, and don't be alarmed when all sorts of smoke pours out of your exhaust, and the engine stalls. This is normal.

Also, and I know this sounds kinda lame, but I actually had a very similar problem when I first got my Celica like 2+ years ago. I did everything to try to figure out what the heck was wrong with it, and it turned out to be the most obvious thing that of course I overlooked by overthinking it - I just needed new spark plug wires. When did you replace yours last? A basic tune up is ALWAYS beneficial as well as helps to further narrow down the possible culprit.
pittfirefighter
AFR lean - did you check your o2 sensor?? if its getting wrong readings, it will screw up your idle
6gc_ct
last tune up was about 3000 miles ago the most. havent checked the o2 yet, how would i go about "testing" it anyway?
GriffGirl
http://www.ehow.com/how_5193043_test-sensor.html
6gc_ct
ok, so i just went and did that test. thank you griffgirl btw, with the car idleing at full temp the o2 stayed at 0.11 the whole time, even with the created vacuum leak, no change at all. so must be the sensor? might have done the test wrong? i dont think i did

also, would it still be possible its the o2 even though i dont and havent had a code for 02?
Jamchell
If your car is 1996+ you can use an OBDII scanner with a live data function to watch the o2 sensor cycle realtime while the car is running. Also, you can check your Air/Fuel Ratio in realtime, it should be 14.7 ( stoichiometric ratio) or very close to that on an N/A car.

These scanners are cheap these days, can get a nice one that even does graphing for 119 bucks on amazon. Graphing Scanner
6gc_ct
94- OBDI here
Stambo
check and see if the egr is stuck open slightly. That can cause problems with running lean. Sometimes you can "knock" the valve loose and it'll close back up. Carbon could be building up in there causing the egr to stick open slightly and lean out the afr.
pittfirefighter
QUOTE (6gc_ct @ Jun 4, 2010 - 4:58 PM) *
ok, so i just went and did that test. thank you griffgirl btw, with the car idleing at full temp the o2 stayed at 0.11 the whole time, even with the created vacuum leak, no change at all. so must be the sensor? might have done the test wrong? i dont think i did

also, would it still be possible its the o2 even though i dont and havent had a code for 02?

LEAN AFR - that is a code for the o2, it didn't fluctuate so the sensor is bad, its reading lean always... change the sensor
presure2
QUOTE (pittfirefighter @ Jun 5, 2010 - 9:50 AM) *
QUOTE (6gc_ct @ Jun 4, 2010 - 4:58 PM) *

LEAN AFR - that is a code for the o2, it didn't fluctuate so the sensor is bad, its reading lean always... change the sensor

X2.
thats why your lean, your O2 is bad.
6gc_ct
yes ive had this code for a good year now.

EGR should be good, i cleaned it pretty well a few months back during my engine rebuild. Ill be looking into a new o2 and hope that works. Would this also cause me to not have the cold start funtion?
presure2
QUOTE (6gc_ct @ Jun 5, 2010 - 10:57 AM) *
yes ive had this code for a good year now.

EGR should be good, i cleaned it pretty well a few months back during my engine rebuild. Ill be looking into a new o2 and hope that works. Would this also cause me to not have the cold start funtion?

im not 100% sure, but IIRC, the ECU uses the coolant temp and IAC to control cold start idle up conditions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.