Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: header throwing check engine light?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
4-eyed-freek
i really want to buy an ebay header, but i dont want it to make my check engine light come on. is there a way around this besides removing the negative batery every few days?
HectortheRican
QUOTE (4-eyed-freek @ Jun 1, 2010 - 10:51 PM) *
i really want to buy an ebay header, but i dont want it to make my check engine light come on. is there a way around this besides removing the negative batery every few days?

Weld the 2nd O2 sensor into the piece of pipe that you'll have to extend the header with.
4-eyed-freek
mine dosent have the cali emisions on it, only one o2 sensor
JuMPiiN
My header came with a opening on it for the o2 sensor, I didn't put it in, didn't think I really needed it, and I got tired of the check engine light being on. Put in the o2 sensor and it went away. But I got my header from pacesetter it was like 80$ free shipping powdercoated black but it was made from mandrel bent steel soi bought it.
4-eyed-freek
im just wondering if i put the header on my car is it going to make my engine light come on, b/c im oing to be taking off the cat.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (4-eyed-freek @ Jun 2, 2010 - 6:54 AM) *
im just wondering if i put the header on my car is it going to make my engine light come on, b/c im oing to be taking off the cat.

Both cats? Because the cali Celicas came with two cats..
4-eyed-freek
nope just the one, because mine is the non cali 5fs-fe
trdproven
if you have the non cali spec celica the cat is on the actually header itself, when you remove your stock header to put on your ebay header, you end up catless. and why would your engine light come on, you have 1 o2 sensor and that goes onto the ebay header bolt on.

cali spec celicas as far as i know have the 2nd cat near the resonator but that should not be your case.
4-eyed-freek
i was told that one i put the header on, which removes the cat, the ngine light woud come on.
trdproven
how is that when you will still be able to put back the O2 sensor? That will happen if you don't bolt it back. Basically engine light checks comeon because sensors see something wrong or its defective. just put back the O2 sensor and you'll be ok. the ebay header and your stock is virtually the same thing, they push out exhaust air through pipes. the ebay header is just more straightflow.

I'll tell you the truth, my engine light did come on after I put on the headers but it was after how many days but when I did an OBD check it was the EGR. i cleaned the little EGR module filter and since then I've never seen it come back on. but it was not O2 sensor related, there is a direct code for that. Many people have this header though no real complaints if you know what I mean, its not like its one of the first things you need to get for the celi.
Smaay
i have said this several times in MY header thread, i had NO CEL for removing the CAT and i have a CA car. i only used the first O2 sensor and unplugged the second. Below the header you see another sensor, thats my wideband O2 that i welded a bung into the downpipe. its not threaded into the header

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...6&hl=header

trdproven
but his case is simpler he does not even need to worry about a 2nd sensor, only the first one he needs to worry about. The sensor in the right side of your pic is bolt on.
4-eyed-freek
thanks guys for all the good info, i was only asking because with my old car i put a header on and it ade my engine light come on and i never removed the cat, but thankyou for the reashurance, this is a new car for me, i hav only had it or about 5 to 6 months and i work on it just about very day. its hard to because i am just graduating from high school 'tomarrow', and im short on time.
but thankyou very much for ll the good info.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (4-eyed-freek @ Jun 2, 2010 - 1:37 PM) *
thanks guys for all the good info, i was only asking because with my old car i put a header on and it ade my engine light come on and i never removed the cat, but thankyou for the reashurance, this is a new car for me, i hav only had it or about 5 to 6 months and i work on it just about very day. its hard to because i am just graduating from high school 'tomarrow', and im short on time.
but thankyou very much for ll the good info.

I'm in your same situation. I just graduated high school last Sunday
4-eyed-freek
congrats my friend, going to college?
HectortheRican
QUOTE (4-eyed-freek @ Jun 2, 2010 - 1:56 PM) *
congrats my friend, going to college?

Yes sir. University of New Mexico. A little ways from Ft. Worth but oh well kindasad.gif And you?
k-weaver
Just a FYI, I have a CA Celi and I DID throw a CEL when I put my header on. The CEL came back something along the lines of "catalytic converter failure". This is because the cat was gone. I have an OBD CEL reader so I just turned it off. It came back on I wanna say about 3 more times (spread about a month apart) then it just stopped. I've been going on at least a year with no CEL.
trdproven
^ the first cat goes away but you can still plug in the first sensor, did you plug back yours? I never got anything related to the o2 or catalytic and i have no catalytic at all
4-eyed-freek
yep im heading to our comunity college. just for a few years to get my feet wet lol.
k-weaver
QUOTE (trdproven @ Jun 4, 2010 - 10:32 AM) *
^ the first cat goes away but you can still plug in the first sensor, did you plug back yours? I never got anything related to the o2 or catalytic and i have no catalytic at all

I plugged in both of the sensors, one before cat and one where the cat would sit . Yes the header deletes the cat however there is still a hole drilled out for the sensor which I did install.
trdproven
there shouldnt be a catalytic converter failure as the sensor is part of the header not the cat on a non cali spec celi for sure. I just relooked at mine.
4-eyed-freek
great b/c i just bought the header last night im getting excited!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.