Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swap options and cost for a 95 GT convert
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
m2736185
I recently purchased a 95 GT convertible, but she has 175k miles on her so I have been thinking about my swap options. I intend to ride her until she stops running and hopefully I get atleast another 25k. I am very interested in the 3SGTE swap, but I hear there will be some need for modification. I am on a $2,000 budget for the swap some added power and turbo would be nice, but if its too much trouble then I proly would just rebuild my engine myself and send out my tranny to be rebuilt.
Johnnyny
with two grand you really cant swap properly you gonna need a bit more than dat
Cavegod
engines must be expensive over there as $2k or £1400 would be plenty to do the swap to a 3sgte here, but then i suppose gt4 engines are more available here>??
m2736185
Well, I have seen them with a tranny on eBay go for around $1700 with shipping. I am just wondering how difficult is the swap, what other cost is involved and how do you deal with the AWD issue? Can the GT tranny really be used?
JuMPiiN
QUOTE (Cavegod @ Jun 5, 2010 - 2:52 AM) *
engines must be expensive over there as $2k or £1400 would be plenty to do the swap to a 3sgte here, but then i suppose gt4 engines are more available here>??

2K isn't even enough for a gen3 3s.

And you can convert your awd tranny to work I read it on a thread somewhere, and you can use your old tranny and upgrade the clutch and you should be okay unless your looking for like 400+ HP. if that's the case you can get the mr2 LSD tranny with a hybrid clutch, or you can use the rare camry v6 tranny. And if I'm not mistaken you have to wire the new harness with the old or send it off and get it wired to plug and play.

All in all I think that it cost like around 5K or more to do it right from everyone I've talked to and all the threads i've read. Some of the more knowlegeble members can tune in and correct me if I'm wrong.
mkernz22
Personally, I think your engine should be fine for at least another 50k. My engine is up to about 213k and is still running strong. Just don't beat on it that much and do regular maintenance on it, and it should last for a while. Mine has been leaking a tad bit of oil underneath, but it still runs strong. Once I hit 275k or 300k, then I'll look to do a engine and auto to manual swap on it. Just drive it for now and try to keep that engine running (without putting too much money into it) and just save for the swap. You'll definitely need more than $2k for the swap.

Also, if you do get the 3S-GTE, make sure you get the ecu with the engine otherwise you are probably going to have some problems with it..
Smaay
you can use your stock tranny on the 3S-GTE and still use your stock axles.
m2736185
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Jun 5, 2010 - 5:51 PM) *
Personally, I think your engine should be fine for at least another 50k. My engine is up to about 213k and is still running strong. Just don't beat on it that much and do regular maintenance on it, and it should last for a while. Mine has been leaking a tad bit of oil underneath, but it still runs strong. Once I hit 275k or 300k, then I'll look to do a engine and auto to manual swap on it. Just drive it for now and try to keep that engine running (without putting too much money into it) and just save for the swap. You'll definitely need more than $2k for the swap.

Also, if you do get the 3S-GTE, make sure you get the ecu with the engine otherwise you are probably going to have some problems with it..

Yea, its still running strong, but I cant beat on it at all so it takes a lot of fun out of driving. I think mine has a little oik leak as well. I havent had time to put the car on jacks and give it a full look around. It has become my daily driver so I need it to hold out atleast another year.

Perhaps I might just have the engine and tranny rebuilt and add a little boost we shall see.

I was just trying to get an estimate on how much a 3S-GTE would cost me...5k sounds like a little too much. I would rather get an s2000 if I have to put that much $$ into it.
Johnnyny
QUOTE (m2736185 @ Jun 6, 2010 - 4:21 PM) *
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Jun 5, 2010 - 5:51 PM) *

Yea, its still running strong, but I cant beat on it at all so it takes a lot of fun out of driving. I think mine has a little oik leak as well. I havent had time to put the car on jacks and give it a full look around. It has become my daily driver so I need it to hold out atleast another year.

Perhaps I might just have the engine and tranny rebuilt and add a little boost we shall see.

I was just trying to get an estimate on how much a 3S-GTE would cost me...5k sounds like a little too much. I would rather get an s2000 if I have to put that much $$ into it.

a front clip from jim will cost you about 2400 iirc dat will have everything you need to swap but you are not going to use the clutch dat came with it or all the fluids if you have the engine out you might as well rebuild it etc dats where it get pricey but its money well spent
JuMPiiN
2500 is how much a clip cost that doesn't include import cost customs ext... Just saying.
_Jim_
Close guys.

I actually sell the ST205 GEN3 3sgte MOTOR SET for 2500 with free shipping (with the W2A IC, 2300 with free shipping without the W2A IC system).

Complete front half cuts (including body panels) are 4300 with free shipping.

So the guys in this thread are right when they say 2000 is a bit low for a swap.
m2736185
Yes, I suppose. Maybe if my body and interior we is excellant condition I would consider it, but I wouldnt spend $5k on a swap and not upgrade the suspension, interior, and a much needed paint job...this would bring me in the 10k area which might be worth it after I get outta school this year, but I would like to consider all my options.

After the death of my SRT I am done with the whole street racing/track scene, but I would still like something that pulls and is a little more fun to drive.

I was checking out a thread by manny I think the was able to turbo a GT engine..which might be a more cost effective option for me. Can someone help me figure out the cost of this. I say
Decent Turbo Kit: $1000
Rebuilt Tranny: $500
New Clutch: $250
Rebuilt Engine: $500
Rebuilt Head: $200

Total cost $2,200 ??
_Jim_
I am selling a GT turbo kit for 1500
Dont bother rebuilding the trans, just get another one if yours goes
New clutch is about 500
rebuilt engine is anywhere from 1500-2000
dont bother rebuilding the head, if anything throw some cams in 600

total cost 3500-5000

m2736185
wowa my estimates are always way under. I was going to rebuild the engine myself. Rebuilding kits I have seen are around $300 + $200 for machine shop.

My tranny has almost 200k on it so im sure its on its way out.

damn, if thats really the cost then I might as well do the 3SGTE swap.
_Jim_
Prices are always cheaper if you do the labor yourself, and engine options will also greatly affect your total cost...such as forged goodies. It is never a good idea to build a 5sfte on a tight budget.
m2736185
Yea, I guess you're right. I have rebuilt a 426A and the regular SOHC Neon engine with regular eBay kits and have had no problems, but I dont know much about these toyota engines.

I am new to the toyota scene and I have only done a little research, but from what I understand about the 3SGTE you can use the 2nd, 3rd and the 4th gen engine from the Caldina, but some newer models like the Caldina have the intercooler placed on the head of the engine which makes an easy install for the turbo, but you will need to customize your hood or get the hood from a GT4.

I will see if I can put together a complete part list and you guys can tell me if I am on the right track.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.