Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If there Is Anyone that can help me, Please
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Gtguy22
So basically this is my last attempt. I love my car, Ive done everything to it, but Im about to head to grad school, and need a it to be reliable. Problem is, I dont have any money to get a new car, and probably not enough money to get it fixed. I am at the point where if I dont have my car any longer, Im in serious trouble, and I would love to keep im 6th gen. Heres the story, My car is a 94 gt 2.2. I blew the engine around christmas, and put a jdm engine in. Same exact engine, but emmisions were different. I switched everything over. Since then the car has been idling incorrectly. At first it idled too high, then the rpms would jump up and down. Ive tried everything.Looked for vaccume leaks, checked timing, idle air control valve, map sensor....everything you can imagine. Now my car is stalling all the time, rpms are up and down, it bucks, and runs like ****. Ive done the clutch, engine, struts, tires. Ive worked on this car harder than anything else in my life. Ive taken it to two shops and they were stumped. If there is anyone out there in or around massachusetts that is an absolute guru and loves to work on 6gc's that wouldnt mind helping me out, id be extremely grateful. Again this is an absolute last resort, because I know i am asking a lot. But i really need some help and figured the 6gc community might be able to lend a hand. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Johnnyny
1st. if you dont have money why a jdm engine plenty of 5s around here in the states
2nd. What engine did you get
solidxsnake
Manny should be able to help you xD

You had a 5S and you're sure you replaced it with another 5S? I thought the JDM and USDM engines had the same emissions, only the Cali spec were different.

Possible ECU error?
Gtguy22
yes im sure i replaced it with the same engine, Emissions is different. I had the money when i got the engine, then i got layed off, now im screwed. Im not sure who manny is
Smaay
manny is Pressure2 on the board. he is very knowledgeable, have you checked all your vacume line? perhaps you have a leak somewhere. spray brake cleaner around and see if the idle changes, there is your leak
presure2
if its a "jdm" engine, its prolly a 3sfe not a 5s. they didnt sell the 5s overseas.
you prolly have a big vacuum leak, did you remove the intake manifold when you swapped?
Chhaos
First of all, grats on the fact that you are about to be in grad school. If I were you and couldn't figure out what was wrong, I would take out a student loan and then have the money for someone to fix it. I understand it sucks having to borrow money like that, but if you really need the car that badly for school, a student loan could cover it. I've always had the philosophy that I would rather be 10k in debt coming out of college than working minimum wage jobs the rest of my life and struggling to get by. Besides, if you are going to grad school then you will definitely be making well more than enough money to pay back the loan when done, assuming that is all you have to borrow. I know this doesn't help much, but just a thought of what could be done if all else fails.
Gtguy22
Ive checked the vaccume lines by spraying it with carb cleaner. ive checked everywhere. Occasionally there is a slight change in idle from spraying, but nothing considerable. Chaos, thank you very much. I appreciate that. Taking out a student loan to get it fixed was actually my first though. unfortunately, not only will they not let me take it out durring the summer, but im limited to the amount i can take out. im pretty much tapped once school is payed for.

also pressure2, it is definately a 5sfe, I ran into this dillema in the past. You can check my old posts. its 100% a 5sfe. Where it came from is definately questionable though

QUOTE (solidxsnake @ Jun 9, 2010 - 10:49 PM) *
Manny should be able to help you xD

You had a 5S and you're sure you replaced it with another 5S? I thought the JDM and USDM engines had the same emissions, only the Cali spec were different.

Possible ECU error?

Theres no engine code showing. For some reason when i pull the map sensor, the engine revs up, but runs better. So ive been running the car without the map plugged in for the last few weeks. that is the only time the light comes on.
JuMPiiN
The 5S wasnt produced overseas bro, so are you sure you didnt get a 3sfe ? And the engine in my car was doing that when i had it installed, it also came from overseas i just went and bought like 12ft of vacume lines ( more than enough ) and replaced them all and it stopped. ran like a champ after that, ran a little rich tho.
Gtguy22
QUOTE (JuMPiiN @ Jun 10, 2010 - 12:59 PM) *
The 5S wasnt produced overseas bro, so are you sure you didnt get a 3sfe ? And the engine in my car was doing that when i had it installed, it also came from overseas i just went and bought like 12ft of vacume lines ( more than enough ) and replaced them all and it stopped. ran like a champ after that, ran a little rich tho.

Ill give it a shot, the running rich thing will definately be a problem though. I need it to pass emmissions
nics
QUOTE (presure2 @ Jun 10, 2010 - 3:57 AM) *
if its a "jdm" engine, its prolly a 3sfe not a 5s. they didnt sell the 5s overseas.
you prolly have a big vacuum leak, did you remove the intake manifold when you swapped?

they label the 5sfe on ebay jdm.

dont they have 5s in australia?
mak5603
QUOTE (nics @ Jun 11, 2010 - 11:52 AM) *
QUOTE (presure2 @ Jun 10, 2010 - 3:57 AM) *

they label the 5sfe on ebay jdm.

dont they have 5s in australia?

yeah, but by overseas pretty sure they are talkin Japan
Gtguy22
its definately a 5sfe. im sure of it. The emissions was different so i used the old intake manifold with wire harness and components, new gaskets, and so on
GriffGirl
I would also go through and replace all the vacuum hoses. Also, have you checked your throttle position sensor?

As far as passing emissions, just make sure to run it through when the car is good and warmed up. Since it's OBD1, all they'll do is put the sniffer in the tailpipe since there's no computer for them to read any data from.
Rusty
actually Japan did get the 5sfe (not in a celica of course) and only in a few models, we mostly got the 3sfe(2.0L) and 4sfe (1.8L)
nics
QUOTE (Rusty @ Jun 11, 2010 - 1:49 PM) *
actually Japan did get the 5sfe (not in a celica of course) and only in a few models, we mostly got the 3sfe(2.0L) and 4sfe (1.8L)

daihatsu altis has it
Gtguy22
Thanks guys, ill give it a shot. I think im going to drop it off at the shot today or tomorrow. I really need my car back. It might set me back, but I dont wanna F this up anymore
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.