Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another 30-40 hp
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
b22ri22an
I love the way my celi looks but i'm a bit disappointed in the 5sfe's acceleration its just not as aggresive as its body style. I'm not looking for a drag strip car and i dont have the need to race people i just wanna pull off a stop light a lil faster what can i do to get a stock 5sfe to pull a bit better off the line, could care less about top end if you see me doing over 70 its rare. i know i can boost it read alot on bolt on chargers, but i really didnt want to go $2000+ what can i do on a $500-$1000 budget to get a lil more pull
HectortheRican
So sorry to jack the thread, but I've been meaning to ask the same question about my 7AFE. Hope you don't mind a double question, bro
SlvrCelica09
if you haven't done so already, try headers, cold air intake, and aftermarket muffler. That should give you 5-10 hp increase and a bit more acceleration. 30-40 hp you need boost. This applies for both cars.
njccmd2002
guys, with a 500 bucks youll only gain close to 10 hp max 25 with good cams bringing the price to close 1000. period.

intake, cams, exhaust, maybe a new header. the cams may set you back a couple 400 usd.

its a frequent asked question. you want power, you need money. those are estimates.

7a engine. not worth to do much, except turbo. or you wont feel the power.

gt engine, its ok, some mods may help, but again, not worth for a couple hp.

Swap is the way to go.
Hanyo
nitrous is gonna be the most dollar for performance gain in the short term.

a low shot of nitrous can easily gain you 30hp.
b22ri22an
thanks for the fast responses... i guess it comes down to save a few more months and boost or a few months further and swap. nitrous isnt really an option i just want some extra pull off a stop light, not even interested in what my 1/4 mile would be or the actual number in seconds i get to 60 i just want the car to feel a little more how it looks and feel like it has some power when i occaisonaly give it some extra gas and tach out on shifts with that said i think my best option is gonna be the bolt on 6lb boost.

from what i read it can be done cheaper then 2k but i would have to worry of reliability the car is my daily driver and my source of income so reliability is key. all things i will have to think about
Johnnyny
upgrade cams
SleekCelica
If you just want to pull faster off the line, butt dyno's what it's all about. Header, custom piping, and a loudish muffler, like a glasspack that shakes the interior. Trust me, my car feels fast now, even though it might not be.
Bitter
Buy a 7th gen tongue.gif 1zz-140 crank, you get a newer car with those 10 extra hp you want. go 2zz its an extra 40 peak and an extra 10 everywhere else. oh nevermind that neither have low end torque, its all about HP.
mikemikula
The 5s-fe is def not a good engine to turbo. I have a friend who did it and wore it out really fast, since it wasn't designed for it at all. I would save up for the swap.
95CelicaST
The 5s is a perfectly good motor to turbo and run on conservative boost. Presure2 had a 5sfte for years on an unopened 5s without it failing. You're new, so I suggest searching and reading up on all of the 5sfte builds before you start spreading misinformation.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Jun 16, 2010 - 9:27 AM) *
The 5s is a perfectly good motor to turbo and run on conservative boost. Presure2 had a 5sfte for years on an unopened 5s without it failing. You're new, so I suggest searching and reading up on all of the 5sfte builds before you start spreading misinformation.

thumbsup.gif
by the way, I just love your avatar. Makes me smile every time I see it haha
block
Wish we could some how swap in a 2zz. Its a nice motor but no torque. Cheap motor too.
b22ri22an
is this worth buying? its seems low in price but its a complete kit well an incomplete kit cause theres no oil lines or cooler or fuel injectors but it seems to have everything else, or is it a waste of $600
keep in mind i'm not looking for massive boost only 5-7lbs max on an unmoddified block and heads
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-5SFE...=item5192314c87
95CelicaST
eBay kits = garbage
terbear4god4life
QUOTE (b22ri22an @ Jun 17, 2010 - 7:16 AM) *
is this worth buying? its seems low in price but its a complete kit well an incomplete kit cause theres no oil lines or cooler or fuel injectors but it seems to have everything else, or is it a waste of $600
keep in mind i'm not looking for massive boost only 5-7lbs max on an unmoddified block and heads
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-5SFE...=item5192314c87

kinda sweet its for a 5s tho lol

haven't people on here ran ebay turbos successful after a good tune?
95CelicaST
He has a 5s.

Shannon is/was running one, but I would question the reliability of them. Do it right the first time.
terbear4god4life
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Jun 17, 2010 - 12:03 PM) *
He has a 5s.

Shannon is/was running one, but I would question the reliability of them. Do it right the first time.

it would proudly still be cheaper to buy one of those for 600 and replace the turbo/wastgate/bov/boost controller.....idk

presure2
i would only buy the turbo. (they sell them seperately.) the manifold and wastegate are garbage.
i put together, and tuned supershannon77's car that made 285whp on a stock 5sfe @ 16.7psi, and 240whp at just 11psi.
IMO a 5sfte will last a good long time with a proper tune, and moderate boost.
not to sound big headed at all, but when it comes to the 5sfte, i've been around the block a few times. wink.gif
SleekCelica
QUOTE (presure2 @ Jun 16, 2010 - 5:34 PM) *
i would only buy the turbo. (they sell them seperately.) the manifold and wastegate are garbage.
i put together, and tuned supershannon77's car that made 285whp on a stock 5sfe @ 16.7psi, and 240whp at just 11psi.
IMO a 5sfte will last a good long time with a proper tune, and moderate boost.
not to sound big headed at all, but when it comes to the 5sfte, i've been around the block a few times. wink.gif

Quite literally, I might add!
Tony-B
Strip out the interior. Less weight = free horsepower.

I'd spend the bucks on handling. Coilovers, poly-bushes etc.
b22ri22an
i like my interior tho... i also currently like the way my car handles that may change after increasing the hp but for now i dont see any reason for suspension upgrades. thank you all for the input i will not be buying the ebay kit. however i do need to keep my cost down as much as possible i only have a few spendabale dollars per month after bills. coming by an extra 2 to 3 grand would take almost half a year of saving
95CelicaST
Look around on mr2oc and buy up a 3sgte Turbo manifold and ct-26 and I think a 3sgte oil pan fits as well. If you shop wisely you can save yourself a lot of money.
b22ri22an
so a used stock 3sgte manifold will work with my 5sfe? if so i can pick a manifold up for as little as $50 and the used turbo for another $100 oil pan for another $40 i should probably buy a new turbo.
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (b22ri22an @ Jun 18, 2010 - 1:57 AM) *
so a used stock 3sgte manifold will work with my 5sfe? if so i can pick a manifold up for as little as $50 and the used turbo for another $100 oil pan for another $40 i should probably buy a new turbo.

Not necessarily. You can run a gently used CT20 or CT26, especially since you're on a very tight budget.
95CelicaST
A ct26 with minimal to no shaft play is what you want.
95st-celica
go to ebay, buy a $600 kit, comes with EVERYTHING...yea some of it is trash and i wouldnt use it such as the bov, catch can and other little stuff, but what you will get that you CAN use is the turbo, intercooler, pipeing, turbo timer, manual boost controler, electric fans, and other stuff. Take the extra $400 you have left over and buy your manifold, oil pan, safc, wideband, etc.

if i was given $1200 and a 6th gen, i could have it boosted and running reliably, its just a matter of knowing whats trash, what can be used efficently, and how to tune it correctly in order to get the best, most reliable performance out of it.

It CAN be done on a budget, but most of the time this budget fits in with people that dont know much of what they are doing, and end up blowing their engine, and $1200 in the hole.
hatchy_gt-s

Look under the FS forum pressure2 is selling all the parts but turbo.
garin

hmm... i think you need to do your research. doesn't sound like you put the time into finding out what you really want. i wouldn't go cheap with turbos. when turbocharging keep in mind that for max numbers the engine show be running good with no preexisting problems. 5sfte is a nice option, but it seems that 3sgte is really what cures the itch for power!
b22ri22an
QUOTE (garin @ Jun 18, 2010 - 2:20 PM) *

hmm... i think you need to do your research. doesn't sound like you put the time into finding out what you really want. i wouldn't go cheap with turbos. when turbocharging keep in mind that for max numbers the engine show be running good with no preexisting problems. 5sfte is a nice option, but it seems that 3sgte is really what cures the itch for power!

i havent put much research into anything yet, trying to get a consensus of what everyone here thinks the best way to obtain my goal is, primary way of obtaining knowledge is asking questions smile.gif now that i have a good idea of what i am going to do i'll start the reading and research part. thank you everyone for your input it has greatly assisted me in deciding which route to take.
b22ri22an
QUOTE (hatchy_gt-s @ Jun 18, 2010 - 1:36 PM) *

Look under the FS forum pressure2 is selling all the parts but turbo.

if only i had the cash now smile.gif
i'm about 2 to 3 months from starting my project need to save some cash and i have alot of reading to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.