Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Petal sticking closed - Help Needed!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
atki55
Hi there everyone - I could really use your help! My '98 2.0L GT has developed an intermittent problem, in that sometimes when I come right off the throttle (usually travelling at low speeds), and stay in the same gear for a few seconds, when I then try to depress the pedal again, it's stuck and I can't accelerate again until I change gear!

Someone has suggested the cable, and another person a clogged butterfly valve in the throttle housing, but I don't see how changing gear would clear either of these problems? It has only been happening for a couple of months, and only 3 times (so once every few weeks), which makes it very hard to diagnose!

Has anyone had a similar problem, or can suggest a solution?

Thanks very much!
GriffGirl
I would start by removing your throttle body and cleaning the hell out of it. You'd be surprised by how much carbon build up and gunk gets in there, the culprit could VERY likely be that your butterfly valve is sticking shut.
atki55
QUOTE (GriffGirl @ Jun 17, 2010 - 1:40 PM) *
I would start by removing your throttle body and cleaning the hell out of it. You'd be surprised by how much carbon build up and gunk gets in there, the culprit could VERY likely be that your butterfly valve is sticking shut.

Fantastic thanks - I'll definitely give that a try! If that doesn't work, do you reckon it could possibly be the cable?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.