Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem has been resolved-
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mgnt232
So this happened first a few days ago on my way to UTI in boston (helping my friend move) I got in my car after we stopped to get some food, and went to turn my key..... nothing frown.gif... I checked the batteries voltages and obvious connections. Everything seemed to be good, got in my car clicked the key back and forth a few times... and eventually after a few times it fired right up and drove fine another 2 hours to boston.

started it a few times, over the course of 3 days in Boston, with no problems. Drove home (3+ hours) fine. Had to move my car around the back of my house. Went to start it. Nothing. frown.gif now I was getting scared frown.gif. Clicked it again a few more times back and forth. started up, drove around fine.

Now about 3 days later I went to my old house to help build a deck, and my mom had to move my car. Got in it.... nothing! >:( now I was just starting to get mad lol. But this time now (not sure if it did it the last couple times) but I turned the key to acc/on and the beep of doom goes off, clock and stereo turn on. But as soon as I click it to start, a little buzz from the back of my car comes on, for as long as I hold it in start. And the clock turns off, along with the cig lighter/radio, ect.. As soon as the key is turned back to acc or on, everything comes back on.

I know the buzz sounded like a fuel pump, and it was coming from the back of my car, but I started to think, maybe there is a bad ground, or short somewhere, as I have ALOT of accessories (lights, switches, subs, ect.) most of which run direct off the rear battery. So I stopped and checked things out for about an hour.

Completely unhooked both batteries for about 10 mins (let everything reset) Left the back battery unhooked completely along with ungrounding (if thats a word?) all the accessories.

Hook back up just the front battery, hoping to god, I fudged something up with the wiring. Turned the key.... nothing frown.gif (well with the exception of the buzz). So completely confused, and starting to get mad (it was bout 90° lol) I went in a flicked the key back and forth for like a full min. nothing.

Then I just sat there, and held it for like 10 seconds, and right as I was about to let the key go... I get a CRANK! smile.gif.

So I tried it again, turned the key. Buzz came on. Held the key. Car started after about 10-15 seconds of holding the key.

So I pulled my car around the block, and it drove fine, although it seemed to idle a little funny (although it has for a month of so). Got back in my car when the the deck was done, and turned the key, got the buzz, but the clock and everything goes off. So I figure holding the key, like I have been is not too good? but I needed to get home.
Held the key for 10-15 seconds, started right up, drove home fine (only about 3 miles).

Could some one help me!!!???
THANKS!!
rave2n
Probally not this, but...when I first purchased my cellie, I was unaware of the clutch down circuit when starting...can't remember what its called....I kept charging the battery and saying wtf...then I realized after a few times of starting it...yea i know dumb moment.

Saying it might be broke, if everything else seems in order...
mgnt232
You mean like the circuit its self, or are you asking if I pushed the clutch all the way down? I deff. had the clutch down, and pulled it up and back down a few times, just to make sure.
But if you mean the circuit, how do I test something like that?
mgnt232
BUMP
I know its early, want people to see in the morning smile.gif really need help, dont mean to spam up the forum.
thanks again!
b22ri22an
3 things i can think of 1 is what the above poster said maybe the clutch safety switch is bad ... the other is a bad ignition switch coroded in the start position if you continue to jiggle the key back and forth in the start position and it all of a sudden works i would look into changing you ignition switch. it also could be your starter solenoid is going bad
presure2
its probably just the starter.
tap it with a hammer, then see if it starts.
95CelicaST
When you're turning it over does it make a tick sound? Just one tick?
terbear4god4life
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Jun 20, 2010 - 7:58 AM) *
When you're turning it over does it make a tick sound? Just one tick?

that's exactly what mine does random times right now what is it??
mgnt232
I had hit the starter before, but only with a screwdriver. and i figure pressure is pretty smart, so I got a hammer and hit the most inconveniently placed started ever... lol
Nothing happened frown.gif hit it a little harder, a few more time. trial and error... all error frown.gif

I tried taking a vid with my phone of what is happening (ill include at the bottom) but it didnt really get the fuel pump buzz (which may be normal, I just never heard it because my car has always started before), and my clock color change makes it hard to see the clock fade away in about a second.

But basically when I turn the key, it "ticks" once (not like a starter tick) just ticks and everything shuts off (more like "drains away" in a second, like the clock). And you can hear the fuel pump turning on.

Now my stepdad came out and looked for a second, and said his one truck had a bad clutch safety switch (he said neutral safety switch, but I assume its the same thing) and they just unhooked it or took it out at the shop, because it did basically the same thing my car does, and it will start in gear now, which i would obviously be careful about.
Does anyone know how I could disconnect, or test my clutch safety switch? thanks-
(btw the car wont start at all now, tried a few time today frown.gif)
▼Vid▼

mgnt232
EDIT-
When key is turned and clutch is not depressed, the clock and stuff turns off, but the fuel pump does not engage.
As soon as the clutch is pressed all the way the fuel pump starts again.
Starting to lead off of the clutch safety switch, but i guess its still a possibility.
Tech-Nics
I had a similar problem happen to me. First it started once in a while then it started to happen more and more. Then finally doesn't fire anymore. Had to have my car towed after it completely cut off while I was driving. Shop called the next day told me the wires to the alternator went bad from the heat & rust. Also mentioned above "check your starter!!!" Also sounds like your starter had it.
mgnt232
the alt wires are all only maybe a year old, and all 1/0 gauge, and connections are all very good. I have been working all day, but I am about to go out and jack the car up, so I can actually get to the stupid 7A starter tongue.gif.
Then I want to see if there is power getting to it? idk prob going to bring it to a shop monday if I cant get it goin... frown.gif

QUOTE (mgnt232 @ Jun 19, 2010 - 6:07 PM) *
the alt wires are all only maybe a year old, and all 1/0 gauge, and connections are all very good. I have been working all day, but I am about to go out and jack the car up, so I can actually get to the stupid 7A starter tongue.gif.
Then I want to see if there is power getting to it? idk prob going to bring it to a shop monday if I cant get it goin... frown.gif

But still open to ANY suggestions, I still want to try and fix it my self smile.gif

mgnt232
EDIT-
I can pop start my car fine, and there is power getting to the starter. and the connections look good.
does this mean the starter is bad? might just buy one tonight and put it in tomorrow, see if it doesnt help.
tell me what you think?
presure2
QUOTE (mgnt232 @ Jun 19, 2010 - 7:20 PM) *
EDIT-
I can pop start my car fine, and there is power getting to the starter. and the connections look good.
does this mean the starter is bad? might just buy one tonight and put it in tomorrow, see if it doesnt help.
tell me what you think?

starter.
mgnt232
bought one about an hour ago. freakin $155 at the one store, and $125 at the other, but its a "special order part" at the cheap store so it woulda taken a week. oh well.
will put it in tomorrow morning smile.gif hopefully it will fix it. if not..... im sol frown.gif
cyberblader1130
QUOTE (mgnt232 @ Jun 19, 2010 - 9:30 PM) *
bought one about an hour ago. freakin $155 at the one store, and $125 at the other, but its a "special order part" at the cheap store so it woulda taken a week. oh well.
will put it in tomorrow morning smile.gif hopefully it will fix it. if not..... im sol frown.gif
Im assuming you don't have any places that'll rebuild them? Around here it would cost maybe $65.00 give er take a few bucks, and usually have it back within a day or so.
mgnt232
there is a place, but the place closes at like 5 and I got mine at 8. And its closed tomorrow frown.gif oh well, if it makes the celi run, its well worth the 150 smile.gif
mgnt232
it was the starter smile.gif starts alot faster than it ever has.
thanks for all the help!!!!! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.