Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: post maintenance issues
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
95CelicaST
Okay, if you've been following my OT thread then great. If not, let me give you a rundown. So I yanked my motor and replaced a handful of crap. Oil pump seal, water pump, timing belt, accessory belts, clutch, etc.

After driving for a few days I have compiled a list of things I have noticed. I'm hoping some of the knowledgeable 5s guys can help shed some light.

1. Idle was 750 before the work, now its at 1250. No vacuum lines were touched. I did the propane test and found nothing. I adjusted the TPS and found nothing.

2. When sitting at idle it sounds like a belt is too tight. I'm going to loosen/remove the AC belt today and see if it corrects it. The sound is almost like the car is surging, but the Rpm's stay constant. Like I can hear the belt making a full rotation.

3. When in neutral at idle there is a high pitch squeaking noise coming from the engine bay. When I lightly press my foot to the clutch pedal (not disengaged, moving maybe 1/2") it goes away. The last thing I want to do is take it all back out to replace the throwout bearing. Anyone have any ideas?
presure2
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Jun 22, 2010 - 6:07 PM) *
Okay, if you've been following my OT thread then great. If not, let me give you a rundown. So I yanked my motor and replaced a handful of crap. Oil pump seal, water pump, timing belt, accessory belts, clutch, etc.

After driving for a few days I have compiled a list of things I have noticed. I'm hoping some of the knowledgeable 5s guys can help shed some light.

1. Idle was 750 before the work, now its at 1250. No vacuum lines were touched. I did the propane test and found nothing. I adjusted the TPS and found nothing.
timing
2. When sitting at idle it sounds like a belt is too tight. I'm going to loosen/remove the AC belt today and see if it corrects it. The sound is almost like the car is surging, but the Rpm's stay constant. Like I can hear the belt making a full rotation.
sounds like your on the right track here

3. When in neutral at idle there is a high pitch squeaking noise coming from the engine bay. When I lightly press my foot to the clutch pedal (not disengaged, moving maybe 1/2") it goes away. The last thing I want to do is take it all back out to replace the throwout bearing. Anyone have any ideas?
sorry to say it, but it sounds like the TOB. lol

95CelicaST
Damnit. There's got to be an easier way to just remove the transmission. I do not want to do it this soon after installing!!

Timing is dead on at 0. Maybe advancing it will help.

Crap... well looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Jamchell
Well if you replaced the T/O bearing when you did the clutch I'd hold off for a day or 2 and see if the noise calms down. Once or twice I've had new ones that make noise and then after a few days they quieted down and never made a peep again. Not likely, but it's slightly possible. If it's an old bearing... well.....
95CelicaST
New bearing. The sound seems to come and go. I had it idling in my driveway and it wasn't squeaking, so I tapped the clutch and it started up.

I tried adjusting the clutch push rod to see if I can negate it, but no luck.

I also found that my intake temp sensor wasn't plugged in fully. Plugged that back in and it dropped my idle down to 1000.... 250 more to go. I'll check my timing with a timing light in a couple days.
95CelicaST
Just an update:

Idle has returned to normal. I think I had air in the coolant.

I ordered an OEM TOB and a new clutch fork just because. I'll dig back into the transmission in a couple weeks.

New question: its REALLY hard to put it in first gear. Those who I have spoken with said it could be attributed to the TOB. That doesn't really make sense to me, but is there any validity to that? I just thought it was from replacing the shift cable bushings with solid brass.
Jamchell
Sure, if your throw out bearing is bad(bearing or case) then the clutch may not be engaging quite all the way, which will make it hard to put into gear. When you depress the clutch pedal the actual ToB only slides about 2 inches along the output shaft. So it may not be moving as far as it needs to move.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.