Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Slipping?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
m2736185
I have a 95 GT with 175k miles. Recently, when I put it into first gear it stutter and shakes sorta like how it would sound if you didnt give it enough gas right before it stalls. This problem only happens in first gear. Another problem I have noticed with 2nd and 1st gear is when im downshifting there is a lot of resistance like it doesnt want to go into gear. Sometimes I double clutch and it goes in easy so I am guessing my syncros are on their way out.
blu94gt
Slipping would be more like if you're on the highway going 65 mph and floor it and the RPM's go up but you don't speed up.

Sounds like you still need a clutch though, more like some pressure plate issues or something. I had a Mustang did the exact same things: was super stiff, lot of chatter/stuttering, was very hard to get into 1st gear and reverse - lot of double clutching like you mentioned. Replaced the clutch and no more problems.

I'd put a new one in before worrying about transmission problems.
m2736185
yea....but I was hoping it would go another 10k miles before having to rip anything apart. @ 175k miles if I replace the clutch I wanna have the tranny rebuilt and have it done with...then ill just have to worry about the engine down the line.
blu94gt
QUOTE (m2736185 @ Jun 23, 2010 - 10:44 PM) *
yea....but I was hoping it would go another 10k miles before having to rip anything apart. @ 175k miles if I replace the clutch I wanna have the tranny rebuilt and have it done with...then ill just have to worry about the engine down the line.

The transmission could have a lot of life left in it at 175k. I'm betting a lot of the issues you think are with the transmission are coming from the clutch.
m2736185
hmm, you think the clutch problem can damage the tranny? If so then I guess I better not ignore it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.