Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Stutter(oil on plugs)
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
midtownkc
I was driving my celica yesterday and it started stuttering going down the highway. I checked the distributor and rotor..both were in terrible condition so i replaced them. That did not work so i went on to check the plugs... the 1 and 4 cylinder plugs had oil on them. I replaced the tube seals and bought new plugs. The car ran fine for about and hour and then started stuttering again. At low rpms the stutter is hardly noticeable. But as I accelerate or cruise down the highway I can easily tell it's stuttering. I'm trying to keep myself from taking it to the toyota dealership and dropping a ton of money on it that way. Any ideas?

thanks
95CelicaST
Plug wires, proper plug gapping

Buy oem wires.
midtownkc
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Jun 28, 2010 - 1:55 PM) *
Plug wires, proper plug gapping

Buy oem wires.

Ill give the wires a shot. Though I feel teh plugs are fine. I purchased ngk iridiums. Didnt mess the with plug gapping at all though. Going to replaced the wires and run some seafoam through it this evening and see if that works.
Thanks
Tony-B
Rocker cover gaskets?

I had oil leaking into my plugs via the inner rocker cover gasket. Cheap fix, new gaskets around 20 clams.

T
95CelicaST
But you're 3sge. I assume this is 5sfe related.

You need to pull the plugs and gap them. They don't come gapped. There is a gap specified by toyota. IIRC it is .410. I'll consult the BGB when I get home.

As for oil on the plugs - my #3 plug has a small amount of oil on it, but it does not studder.

Edit: could also be fuel related. Replace your fuel filter and have your injectors checked. If you can do without your car for a few days you can ship your injectors off to witchhunter performance for cleaning and repair.

And go rent a timing gun and check that too. Your timing might be off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.