Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 94 ST engine into a 97 ST?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
NOVAKx17
just curious as to if i will run into any problems swapping in my 94 STs engine into my new 97 ST that unfortunately
has a blown engine?

i'm hoping it will drop right in without anything really needed... i figured it would but i'm just making sure so i can be ready, i plan
on doing it next week..

thanksss !
Johnnyny
possible emmision problem and wiring because of the change from obd1 to obd2
NOVAKx17
Okay... this may be the dumbest question of the year so far... but what exactly does obd1 and obd2 mean?

i'm figuring it has something to do with the exhaust ? thanks
Johnnyny
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics should answer your question
NOVAKx17
hmmm.. i kinda get it.. but it kind of amazes me that its going to make such a big deal in the swap..
pittfirefighter
obdII adds a whole bunch of sensors to the engine, it also uses different sensors to be more specific so that it can store the data that is needed for the emissions and such... unless you strip the engine down to the bare block and head, an OBDII engine in an OBDI car is useless... its definitely possible but it may be easier to find an OBDI 7afe (before 1996)
NOVAKx17
blah that sucks... i didn't think it'd be all that bad considering that i just want to run it in the 97 until i can afford a swap without bankrupting myself.
presure2
these guys are making seem like its a lot bigger deal than it is.
any time you swap diffrent year engines, always use the accessories off of the motor your pulling out. (IE distributor, throttle body, coolant neck, ect.)
once you do that, its a straight swap, no big deal at all.
NOVAKx17
QUOTE (presure2 @ Jul 4, 2010 - 5:04 PM) *
any time you swap diffrent year engines, always use the accessories off of the motor your pulling out. (IE distributor, throttle body, coolant neck, ect.)

wow, thanks man...

so just making sure i get this straight... since i'm putting the 94 engine into the 97 shell, i should put all the accessories from the 97 engine onto the 94 engine?

95celicastLSR
QUOTE (NOVAKx17 @ Jul 4, 2010 - 11:05 PM) *
QUOTE (presure2 @ Jul 4, 2010 - 5:04 PM) *

wow, thanks man...

so just making sure i get this straight... since i'm putting the 94 engine into the 97 shell, i should put all the accessories from the 97 engine onto the 94 engine?

yes you got it bud!!!
NOVAKx17
okay GREAT! i'm hoping to get this started either tomorrow or tuesday..

i'm waiting on my engine stand to get back from my cousins, since they borrowed it and "forgot"
to bring it back, but i finally managed to get ahold of them today and they said they'd bring it over!!
stephen_lee
ya. the dizzy & oil pump are different for sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.