Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the whole 5s swap story-update
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
stwin2
ok i have tried to get help off this site, and got nothing. so i think it would help if tell the whole story.

i have a 95 st (or gt now), my 7afe died about 3 months ago. i had a junk 92 camry, with a 5s and a 5speed tranny. i needed a cheep fix for my celica, so i figured i could put the 5s in the celica. i now now it was not cheep, and its a waste of time, but its in there and i need my car. i got a 95 gt wire harness hoping (well i was told it would be) it would be plug and play. the new harness did not work with the 5s ecu i had so i found a 94 gt-s ecu for a good price. got it all put together and now it will turn over but will not start, the injectors will not open and no spark. i got codes out of the diagnosis board, and it gave me every code in the book, literally. my head lights will not work, but every other light works just the 4 in the front dont work. so im thinking that i have the wrong ecu. the gt-s ecu has 26pin, 16pin, 22pin, and the camry ecu has 26pin, 16pin, 12pin. do i need a new ecu or can i rewire one of the ones i got. please help

thanks
sam
njccmd2002
ok, so you have

1. Camry engine
2. GT wiring harness
3. St Celica

The wiring harness that you have if it comes from a gt celica then its ok. Celica tech has the wiring diagrams, heck in the stickies are the links

http://sites.google.com/site/resource6gc/Home

become a member of celicatech and you have access to the wiring diagrams.

now the problem may lie in the fact that there are diferences in sensors comparing the camry vs celica engine.

did all your plugs were used, any sensors disconnected. all grounds are tight?

if all together you were to get a complete celica engine with harness from the gt and put into the st.

dont know exactly the wiring but you have to see the plugs in the EA1 plug in the bay and the plugs that connect the wiring harness into the cabin.

I dont think anybosdy has attempted to swap a 5 s before. but i hope that helps. Or you can send the harness to be revised to drtweak
D-Man
WHAT TRANNY ARE YOU USING?!?!!?!?

7afe tranny will not work with the 5sfe.

ALSO! The Automatic or Manual ECU will work the the MANUAL tranny. but only the AUTO ECU will work the the AUTO tranny...

You may be killing the engine due to that...
stwin2
ok im using the 5s tranny and the car was originally a 5 speed and its a m/t ecu
njccmd2002
i think its all in the wiring.
stwin2
i think so 2... that link u gave me helped but now all i need is the ecu diagram for the 92 camry or a 94 gt-s
Projek_01
the pickup wheel on the crackshaft is different from what i recall. I used a 1998 camry 5sfe and the teeth on the crank sensor was different compared to my celica one. i took no chances and swapped over my celica wheel. that could be a problem because your ECU is confused at the crank position signal? someone please confirm that.
stwin2
dose anyone know where to get a wiring diagram for a gt-s i have looked all over this site, but maybe i missed it.
JuMPiiN
Celica tech has all wiring diagrams just have to look.
stwin2
ok i got it all rewired, its all right, i have tipple checked. still will not run,no gas(just the injectors will not open), no spark, is there any thing else that can cause this.
stwin2
o yea, and also, when i ground TC to get the codes, the air bag light blinks- 1_4_5. and when i bridge TE1 and E1 it dose nothing.
JuMPiiN
Its got to be something electrical. Thats the only thing i could think of personally. Something in the wiring is wrong.
stwin2
i had a friend tell me that the airbag computer has my ecu locked out. has anyone ever herd that
stephen_lee
no. find a celica gt w/ mt harness & ecu. use those (btw, i have an 94 gt auto ecu..)
stwin2
well i have a gt harness. and i think its all in the harness. il keep you guys posted
njccmd2002
ok, when i worked on a tibby, i had fuel, had air, but no spark.

Check to see if the crank position sensor is working. See if you can sourse a new one.
presure2
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jul 16, 2010 - 4:55 PM) *
ok, when i worked on a tibby, i had fuel, had air, but no spark.

Check to see if the crank position sensor is working. See if you can sourse a new one.

there isnt a crank sensor on the 94-95's.
well...there is, but its in the distributor.
stwin2
dose anyone know where the grounds for the ecu are. i know there some where on the air plenum
stwin2
good news,i found the ground i was looking for, and i got my head lights to work.
stephen_lee
yay
stwin2
ITS ALIVE... but now something is wrong with the axel. its always something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.