Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car Won't Pull
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
cibrit-
Okay, lets see how I can explain this. I have a 94' Celica ST with a 2nd Gen 3S-GTE engine swap.

Everyday I start off by starting the car and letting it warm up for a couple of minutes, I pull out of my driveway, or wherever I am, and I get the car going in first just enough so I can shift into second, When I get on a road where I have to give the car a lot of gas the car doesn't really go anywhere. My boost gauge is reading 13psi as I have the car floored, the engine is working really hard, but the car will not go anywhere.. What I do to temporarily fix the problem is shut the car off and turn it back on, it usually takes a couple times of turning it off and on, until the car eventually begins pulling and everything is back to normal.

So, my question is what factors could be causing this, for better words, lack of pull? Is it more likely to be an electrical or a mechanical failure somewhere in the transmission, etc..

Thanks in advance,

-Toni
stwin2
sounds like a fuel pump or a fuel related problem
njccmd2002
if you have a manual car, then your clutch. if auto, then tranny, if the engine works, then the power is not transmitted to the wheels, so whatever its in between its not working,
OnAllFours
QUOTE (stwin2 @ Jul 6, 2010 - 7:46 PM) *
sounds like a fuel pump or a fuel related problem

A fuel issue will cause the engine to bog off the line, and the revs will drop noticeably. Doesn't sound like fuel to me.

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jul 6, 2010 - 8:08 PM) *
if you have a manual car, then your clutch. if auto, then tranny, if the engine works, then the power is not transmitted to the wheels, so whatever its in between its not working,

Clutch sounds more like it. Possibly a bit of an oil leak in your transmission housing that builds up as you warm up the car causing the clutch to slip. Then after you try to drive it a bit, the heat of slipping burns up the oil and it goes away.

If it's an automatic, it may be an issue of the shift solenoids not getting the right information from the PCM due to issues with the swap.

If it's a manual just try pulling the boot off where the clutch linkage enters the transmission. Have a look inside, it should be dry with a bit of dust buildup from the clutch (which is normal). If there is fluid build up anywhere or even if it's damp with oil then you will likely have a slippage issue, and you need to look at doing a seal job. If it's dry then just make sure the boot is properly seated again and we'll have to try a different approach.
Culpable04
he has a 3sgte engine, so no auto transmission.

inspect your clutch.

lagos
QUOTE (cibrit- @ Jul 6, 2010 - 12:45 PM) *
Okay, lets see how I can explain this. I have a 94' Celica ST with a 2nd Gen 3S-GTE engine swap.

Everyday I start off by starting the car and letting it warm up for a couple of minutes, I pull out of my driveway, or wherever I am, and I get the car going in first just enough so I can shift into second, When I get on a road where I have to give the car a lot of gas the car doesn't really go anywhere. My boost gauge is reading 13psi as I have the car floored, the engine is working really hard, but the car will not go anywhere.. What I do to temporarily fix the problem is shut the car off and turn it back on, it usually takes a couple times of turning it off and on, until the car eventually begins pulling and everything is back to normal.

So, my question is what factors could be causing this, for better words, lack of pull? Is it more likely to be an electrical or a mechanical failure somewhere in the transmission, etc..

Thanks in advance,

-Toni

Check your ECU for codes to see if you are hitting the fuel cut code.
Check for boost leaks.
Replace ignition components (unless they are fairly new)
Inspect clutch
cibrit-
Thank you such much guys, I'll get back to everyone when I check all these possibilities.
stephen_lee
im betting its the FP. or the clutch. do the rpms jump or that constant with speed?

now i think about it, ur at full boost and lagging power.... seems u are getting timing pulled... make sure youre running the highest octane u can get. maybe turn the boost down a bit. see if that doesnt resolve ur issue
95celicastLSR
check for a faulty cam shaft sensor i know a few turbo cars when the sensor goes bad or has a short in it . it will limit the power and or RPM but just an idea for ya.. if it is a fuel problem it should shutter or have missfire feeling to car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.