Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 97 5s into a 95 5s
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
JuMPiiN
I just want to be 100% positive that it will be plug and play. taking out the old putting in the new. I decided to go ahead and put another few 100$ into the car and make it run again, Getting it for a good price and just needs the seals replaced, new oil pump, and water pump, and of course new belts.

Basically what im asking is that it should be all plug and play now wiring needed. If theres some thats fine, But it should be just pulling the old putting in the new and plugging everything in right lol ?
enderswift
as long as both motors are obd II you should run into very few obstacles
stephen_lee
its not.. soo swap all accesories and the wiring harness over (dizzy & oil pump are diff on the 7a between OBD1 and OBD2)
JuMPiiN
My wiring harness is kinda messed up.... pretty badly. And i ordered a Oil Pump, Water Pump, and a timing belt today for a 97 5sfe 2.2L. And i was going to swap over my AC compressor, alternator, possibly distributor since mine is new. I think thats all ? Not sure yet tho i should have it sometime next week.
njccmd2002
well remember youll be using an obd2 ecu, obd2 wiring harness and obd2 circuit open relay

so im assuming it may just be wiring..... just a matter of reppining certain wires, so that it goes well...

the engine does not have ignitor, alternator, ps pump or ac compressor

So youll need to make sure the ignitor is the same part no.

the ac compressor and the alternator and the ps pump. should be interchangeable...

dont start swapping out things you may not have too....

repining the wires to get the obd2 scanner to work
JuMPiiN
Well I need to use the new harness because my old one has a burned wire in it. Unless I could get a obd1 wiring harness from someone on here and just use my old computer and swap over the parts from the old engine to the new.

If someone could tell me what partsni would have to swap over to make a old harness and ecu work please tell me. I REALLY WANT MY CAR BACK. lol
stephen_lee
umm. with 96+ engine, harness, ECU, its plug & play.
JuMPiiN
So if I'm getting a 97 engine and harness it should be plug and play with my chassis harness and everything else ?
richee3
What about the OBD II diagnostics plug under the dash? Not sure the exact name, but you may need to pick one up from one of the Celicas in the junkyard. I'd hold off for now though.
JuMPiiN
Wait what ? lmfao. Could i just leave it unplugged biggrin.gif
richee3
I can't describe it. I'm really tired right now. There's an OBD plug under the dash where you can plug in a diagnostics reader. I know it says OBD II in the OBD II cars I've owned, so I don't know if there's a different plug between OBD I and OBD II. I'll just go take a picture tomorrow and post it up and you'll be like "Oh, that!"
JuMPiiN
please do that lol.
Batman722
if you're using the 97 wiring harness w/97ecu with the 97 engine (and the 97 accessories like the dizzy) then is shouldn't be a problem.
The OBII won't work (unless you wire it in from the interior plugs - 4 wires simple) but it's not a big deal unless you get a CEL and have to check your codes, so I would reccomend doing that.
If you use the 97 engine with a 95 harness then some things will need to be swapped over like the dizzy, egr, couple other little things, I can't remember off hand.

if you can get a 97 5s w/wiring harness and ECU then put it in.
JuMPiiN
Yea bro i got a 97 with a ECU and wiring harness. Just a few concerns on the wiring thats all.
richee3
OBD II port. Not from a Celica, but you get the idea.

I just wonder if the OBD I port and OBD II port are the same. But Dustin and Stephen both say it's PnP, so it's a 99.9999% chance that it's PnP.
JuMPiiN
I think i mat need a 97 dizzy, thats about all im using my alternator and ac compressor all those thing again and im getting bigger wires of course. and new spark plugs ( of course ) lol
stephen_lee
OBD1 and OBD2 ports are different.
JuMPiiN
That mean my port won't work ?
stephen_lee
the obd1 port will work as an obd1 port only.

you will be lacking the obd2 port under your dash, unless you source one and wire it in.
JuMPiiN
That's alright. As long as the engine runs and AC works, i hare TX and Louisiana heat.
GriffGirl
The dash harness I'm sending you I'm almost positive is from an OBDII GT. Are you using the engine harness I sent you too? Remember, they came from the same car. (too bad I don't have the ECU from it too, you'd be SET!)

So really it sounds like all you're missing is the ECU. Between the two harnesses coming from me, the rest should totally be plug and play.
JuMPiiN
I hope so! The harness I'm getting with the engine is obd2 and so is the ecu. Maybe I'll get lucky lol.
njccmd2002
yeah man, its all in there..
stephen_lee
ya no kidding. i live in s. tx and its effin HOT
richee3
If Michelle is sending you an OBD II dash harness, then you should be all set. Your engine, wiring harness, and ECU will all work together and if you replace your dash harness with an OBD II dash harness, I can't think of anything else that would be an issue. I'd say you're finally good to go, and you deserve it! You've been put through a nightmare so far. It'll be great to see your car back on the road again.
JuMPiiN
You have no idea ! I went to the shop where my car was at for a month, and luckily he still had the harness I bought from Griff so I have it I'm so stoked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.