Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost use of 2nd 4th and reverse
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
b22ri22an
earlier i posted about a sloppy spongy feel in my shifter, well now it wont even go into 2nd , 4th or reverse (all the lower gears) and the top gears are hard to get into. normaly i would say clutch but i cant get into these gears with the engine off either. could it be my shifter cable from the floor to the trans it doesnt have any appearance of anything wrong but thats where i am leaning towards. if i'm off base let me know i really need my car running again i depend on it for a living
stephen_lee
yea i'd say it was the shift cables. check the connection and see if its loose and check the cable to see it its frayed or damaged
b22ri22an
confirmed from my mechanic its my shift cables. the hunt begins.... dont have $400 to buy directly from toyota, i called like 10 yards so far localy and none have a 6th gen in it much less a shift cable for a manual gt
JuMPiiN
If the ST will work i might can get them from one of my local Junkyards. Im not sure if they will though.
SwissFerdi
^ They do not.
b22ri22an
i found a set in tampa bout 60 miles from here they should arrive monday. they werent as expensive as i thought they would be after seeing the $400 tag on new ones. $50 + $7.50 shipping and my mechanic said he wants $70 to install them soits not breaking the bank but my car is down till monday night frown.gif
b22ri22an
man i have no luck at all... my mechanic got shut down by the state while he was installing my cables just had to have the car towed again cause they wouldnt let him finish hooking them up. so now i have to find someone to finnish the job frown.gif
PolliS_5S-FE
redface.gif oh nuts, just when u are getting something done... how come he got shut down??
stephen_lee
drugs
b22ri22an
nah not drugs... running an unliscensed business in a residential neighborhood his whiny neighbors called zoning enforcement on him for using his home garage as a shop. orange co sheriffs called me as a curtesey to move my car before it would get impouded. i'm really getting my moneys worth with my triple a membership and i'm getting to know tow truck drivers on a first name basis.
95CelicaST
Join the club.

I tip my AAA tow truck driver. Started with the Yelli Celi when it broke down once a week and as recent as when my water pump exploded in the MR2. Now if I need a quick tow I call him directly and he squeezes me in under the table for free. We've taken a pit stop at a local Mexican restaurant and got our Pollo a la creme on before getting the car out to my house.

More to the topic - why don't you install the cables yourself? It isn't difficult at all. Save yourself the cash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.