Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distribuitor Position 7afe - Timing - Help find rigth position !
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
elastikman
Hi!

I change my engine 7afe a few months ago all works fine.
But the mechanical didnt have the "light strobe gun" to make timing the distribuitor correctly.

Today i went to few mechanicals and no one have the ligth gun frown.gif , they say new cars have automatic timing, so they dont use that light any more. kindasad.gif

So i must do it my self based in some info.

Can any one tell me if this in correct position??

For what i know it looks that is very advance.
Can any one tell me with is the more correct position?? (middle ??)

thanks...
Gtguy22
for now, i would just set it so your rpms are around where they should be. Not sure if you have to set the base timing on that engine. Either way, id get a timing light eventually, harbor freight sells them for like 15 bucks
EKAn
Yeah i would say get the timing light to make sure, what year is the engine from?
elastikman
QUOTE (EKAn @ Jul 9, 2010 - 12:20 PM) *
Yeah i would say get the timing light to make sure, what year is the engine from?

From 95.

I cant find timing light any where ...
Do your distribuitor is the same position?
i almost sure this is not the correct position....
Smaay
you cant do it that way. all cars are different. you need to put a jumper wire between Te and E1 in the diagnostic box, then use the timing light to check timing.
EKAn
the only safe way to do it would be with a timing light like Smaay said, and since its form a 95 it probably doesn't have the automatic timing
presure2
the 96+'s are the ones that do not allow timing adjustments at the distributor.
generally speaking, assuming your mechanical timing is set correctly, the distributor would typicly be somewhere around the middle of the adjustment range at 10*BTDC.
you really need a timing light to do it right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.