Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak, tranny or engine?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
new2talon
Hi all,

First off I am not sure if this should be here, or forced induction (car is 3sgte/e153 swapped)

I have noticed a leak starting on the pass side of the tranny. The leak almost appears to come from the top of the tranny, but I want to see if there is anything in particular it might be. I took some brake cleaner to it a week or so ago to clean everything off to try and pinpoint where its coming from but no avail. I am unable to see up too much past the xmember, but it could be something up past it.

I checked the engine oil level and it doesn't seem to have dropped much (still at full) and the leak drops a few drops after everytime I drive. I noticed the engine oil has a gas smell to it though

could it be the axle seal, and its just spraying the oil? it looks pretty clean, but the shaft and the ring going to the tranny have a bit of a shine/sweating

i noticed there is also oil on this hose, not sure what the hose is for, but there is another one slightly more "up" (closer to the engine) that has a drip sitting on it aswell.

and these are just a few taken around the area. the last pic is on the drivers side of the tranny

stephen_lee
smell the fluid. used gearbox oil and used motor oil smell completely different
new2talon
I did, but couldnt smell anything. That was the first thing I did. I am assuming it is tranny oil, because the motor oil has a slight fuelly smell.
stephen_lee
the fuel will evaporate out of it...
3s are known to leak from the valve cover...

BTW welcome to the forum!
you should start a build/history thread.
new2talon
I replaced the VC seal just under 2 years ago, when I had the VC powdercoated. I guess I could've messed the gasket up...and the cars only be driven maybe 2k since then.

I did not see anything when I had a look at the top of the engine, but I will check the back of the engine again.

Just had another look, and I could not SEE anything, albiet that doesn't rule it out b/c the throttle body and intake manifold are somewhat in the way. Could not feel any big gobs of fluid, just minor sweating, the sweating around the oil cap. Could just be spilt oil from last oil change.

Is there anyway to check the back of the vavle cover without taking it all off?
Smaay
cant see your pics but i know the power steering pumps leak. have you checked around there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.