Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7A-FE MAP Sensor - Where is it?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Espo
So another noob question from myself, where's the MAP sensor on a 7A-FE? I just bought a Venom 400 from sincerelyseb and am looking into installing it rather soon. I looked on their website and it says this: "The VENOM 400 Performance Module easily plugs into the throttle position sensor (TPS) and the mass air flow sensor (MAF) or manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP)"

I know we have a MAP, I know we don't have a TPS (drive-by-wire ftw, less sh*t to go wrong) and I remember reading somewhere about a MAF sensor - maybe in a 3S-GTE swap thread somewhere. In any case if anyone could cue me in as to where the MAP/MAF is/are, I'd appreciate it - and also if anyone has experience with this, how it hooks in? I have soldering tools and all that.
stephen_lee
you have no drive by wire, unless you have a swap, at which point you better:
1.) NOT have a 7afe
2.) know what/where each sensor is..

so assuming you have a 7a, your map is on the firewall, next to the wiper motor on the pass side. its a 3wire sensor that has a vac line going to it

your tps is on the back side of your throttle body, and is 4 or 5 wire i believe

Espo
QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Jul 20, 2010 - 9:59 PM) *
you have no drive by wire, unless you have a swap, at which point you better:
1.) NOT have a 7afe
2.) know what/where each sensor is..

so assuming you have a 7a, your map is on the firewall, next to the wiper motor on the pass side. its a 3wire sensor that has a vac line going to it

your tps is on the back side of your throttle body, and is 4 or 5 wire i believe

I assumed drive by wire was referring to the fact that my accelerator pedal drives my car via a wire attached to the accelerator linkage. I have a Corolla 7a-fe in my car if it matters.

Nonetheless, thanks for your help - I don't have a MAF, correct?

Edit - I've got it in - red and black are power and ground, respectively. Green is to the throttle position sensor, orange is to the MAP, but the car pulls a check engine light now because neither connector is fully in - enough so that they work but they won't click. Anyone have suggestions as to how to connect the wires to the pins and allow the plugs to plug in? Right now I've just kinda got them stuffed into the sensor - stuck it into a hole in the plug, then forced the plug on as best I could.
rave2n
TPS is 4 wire, behind throttle body. Circular with a connector plug in coming out.

Do not stuff your wires in with the connector.

Cut or strip a portion, solder on the wire you need to connect to, apply heatshrink, or electrical tape...your choice...but electrical tape will not withstand the heat.
Espo
QUOTE (rave2n @ Jul 21, 2010 - 4:10 PM) *
TPS is 4 wire, behind throttle body. Circular with a connector plug in coming out.

Do not stuff your wires in with the connector.

Cut or strip a portion, solder on the wire you need to connect to, apply heatshrink, or electrical tape...your choice...but electrical tape will not withstand the heat.

I have splicers - I can't believe I didn't think of it before. Thanks man. And yes I have heatshrink to go along with it.

I just hope I plugged into the correct wires on the TPS and MAP. The TPS has four, I think the outer two are power/ground and the two in the middle I have no idea. The MAP I assume it would plug into the middle one, with the outer two being power and ground again.. It appears to be working right now, minor gains have been felt. I'll have to see when I have a more secure connection.
Smaay
If you have no idea waht you are doing then dont do it man. seriously what are you thinking. Get the wiring diagrams from the techinfo website and you will know what color wires are what.

Im not sure what you are installing that tapps into the TPS and MAP sensor but you need to find out what wire is the signal wire. the MAP sensor is 3 wires. power, ground and signal. VTA is the signal wire for the TPS and PIM is the MAP sensor signal wire. On the 5S-FE the MAP signal wire is the middle wire or pin 2. the VTA is pin 3. if you look at the back of the plug, you should see the numbers.
Espo
QUOTE (Smaay @ Jul 22, 2010 - 5:24 PM) *
If you have no idea waht you are doing then dont do it man. seriously what are you thinking. Get the wiring diagrams from the techinfo website and you will know what color wires are what.

Im not sure what you are installing that tapps into the TPS and MAP sensor but you need to find out what wire is the signal wire. the MAP sensor is 3 wires. power, ground and signal. VTA is the signal wire for the TPS and PIM is the MAP sensor signal wire. On the 5S-FE the MAP signal wire is the middle wire or pin 2. the VTA is pin 3. if you look at the back of the plug, you should see the numbers.

That's where I stuffed my wires into and it appeared to be working. I'm going to splice them tomorrow for a better connection and see how it does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.