Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C Delete?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mkernz22
I'm looking to possibly take the a/c out of my car. I barely ever use it cause I always cruise with the windows down and the sunroof open, if anyone has a thread on it, that would be great!
Or PM me with a whole process would be just as fine. Thanks!
mgnt232
id be interested in it as well, i dont remember from memory to be honest so i dont know if the system is the same or not, but i know i did a delete in my cousins camaro, and we just got a smaller belt and took all the ac and lines out. And also I know there was an option for an AC delete pully which is just a light pulley that replaces it. but again this was on a camaro

I would like to know how to do it as well, as mine is just dead weight, needs to be recharged, doesnt work, and i like "window conditioning" (call me crazy lol)
presure2
yup, you just need the non ac belt, and you can remove everything.
stephen_lee
pointless in all honesty. total weight of a/c: 45 lbs. that's piping, compressor, r134a, condenser, evaporator....when not engaged the engine only spins a .25 lbs pulley... no big deal. keep the a/c if it works or is a simple fix. use it in winter to help defog your windows MUCH faster.
hatchy_gt-s
If you dont use it why take the time to remove it? Its about a 3-4 hour job and you have to buy a new belt. IDK if you're wanting to remove it for "horsepower" but IMO it pointless to remove it unless it's going to be a full track car. Stephen_lee is 100% right about the winter it sucks not having the ac for defrost.
Smaay
QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Jul 22, 2010 - 10:22 AM) *
pointless in all honesty. total weight of a/c: 45 lbs. that's piping, compressor, r134a, condenser, evaporator....when not engaged the engine only spins a .25 lbs pulley... no big deal. keep the a/c if it works or is a simple fix. use it in winter to help defog your windows MUCH faster.

yep, ill second this too. Its not worth it.
mkernz22
yeah that's pretty true. f*** it, Ill just buy another condenser from the junkyard and a little bit of piping.

to hatchy gt-s: i wasn't going to remove it for horsepower because it's barely any gain, but I was going to remove it because when i was in an accident, i busted the condenser and a tad bit of the piping on the driver's side, and I don't really feel like spending the money to replace it so I was going to take it out.

and I thought you're suppose to use the heat to defrost the windows...
bgpursuit
You do use heat to defrost, but the 'conditioner' part of air conditioner is basically removing moisture...and dryer air will help evaporate the moisture on the windshield MUCH faster.

In other words, the air is dried by the AC (and cooled at the same time) but then heated by the heater, and the dry, warm air evaporates the moisture on the windshield.

In case you're curious, the AC dries the air because as the air cools across the AC coil, the amount of moisture it can hold goes down, and some water condenses on the AC coil (which is then piped/tubed away.)

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Jul 24, 2010 - 9:08 PM) *
yeah that's pretty true. f*** it, Ill just buy another condenser from the junkyard and a little bit of piping.

to hatchy gt-s: i wasn't going to remove it for horsepower because it's barely any gain, but I was going to remove it because when i was in an accident, i busted the condenser and a tad bit of the piping on the driver's side, and I don't really feel like spending the money to replace it so I was going to take it out.

and I thought you're suppose to use the heat to defrost the windows...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.