Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why does my 5sfe cut out a lil after 5k
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
YotaLover
ok i've done a full tune up on my 95 gt and it still cuts out at 5grand and i was wondering if its just susposed to do that or what else could it be cause i cant figure it out and i was wondering if any one has had the same problem....PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
chinamandrift
QUOTE (YotaLover @ Aug 19, 2010 - 12:02 AM) *
ok i've done a full tune up on my 95 gt and it still cuts out at 5grand and i was wondering if its just susposed to do that or what else could it be cause i cant figure it out and i was wondering if any one has had the same problem....PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

you mean your redlining at 5k ? does the engine seem like its struggling ? possible a fuel filter?
RavenAegis45
5SFE's aren't high revving engines, the head design is great for making gobs of low end torque but higher in the rev range it loses volumetric efficiency. I believe power starts falling somewhere after 5000 Rpms
YotaLover
Well I already changed my fuel filter, I read in another topic that ground cams and a header helps, yeah cause it feels like its given all its got by 5200 so I shift around 4900 or 5000 and I can fly through gears no problem, I just never owned a celica and my supra reved out to around 6500 easy with the stock 7mge engine which is junk and that's why I'm dropping a 1jz in it hahahaha
m4dm4n
QUOTE (RavenAegis45 @ Aug 19, 2010 - 12:19 AM) *
5SFE's aren't high revving engines, the head design is great for making gobs of low end torque but higher in the rev range it loses volumetric efficiency. I believe power starts falling somewhere after 5000 Rpms

Pretty much, yep.
Google a dyno chart for stock 5S engines and look at the curves. Without spending a few $$$ you won't get very much after just under 5K rpm.

There's heaps of info around about rebuilding the 5SFE engine to give more at the high end (read up some of the 5SFTE builds - some of the really serious guys that turbo these also go into cam regrinds, bigger valves etc) but by the time you've spent all that cash, you may as well have done a swap with one of the gruntier 3SGx(x) engines and maybe saved some bucks.

I've personally been considering setting up FI on mine mostly because it's easier in the sense that the parts are easier to get a hold of than a 3SGTE cut and so far the $$ difference between the two kinda pushes me more and more towards the mod and away from the swap.

Pretty sure I've seen a post or two about higher end power on here already...?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.