chinamandrift
i still have unclear info about transmissions

in the 6th gen Celica they came with

1.8 L 7A-FE
2.0 L 3S-FE
3S-GE
2.0 L turbo 3S-GTE
2.2 L 5S-FE

what is the transmission code for these models of engines it came with ?

in the 5th gen they came out with

1.6 L 4A-FE
2.0 L 3S-FE
3S-GE
2.0 L turbo 3S-GTE
2.2 L 5S-FE

what is the transmission code for these models of engines it came with?

i see there is a s51 , s53 , s54 ,A140E.....im still trying to find a compatible one for my 6gen 5sfe manual
Tom_SS2
QUOTE (chinamandrift @ Aug 22, 2010 - 12:54 AM) *
i still have unclear info about transmissions

in the 6th gen Celica they came with

1.8 L 7A-FE
2.0 L 3S-FE
3S-GE
2.0 L turbo 3S-GTE
2.2 L 5S-FE

what is the transmission code for these models of engines it came with ?

in the 5th gen they came out with

1.6 L 4A-FE
2.0 L 3S-FE
3S-GE
2.0 L turbo 3S-GTE
2.2 L 5S-FE

what is the transmission code for these models of engines it came with?

i see there is a s51 , s53 , s54 ,A140E.....im still trying to find a compatible one for my 6gen 5sfe manual

Gen 6 manual transmissions as far as i know

7A-FE - C52
3S-FE - S54
3S-GE - S54
3S-GE SSS none beams - E56
3S-GE SSS beams - S54
3S-GTE - E154F
5S-FE - S54
JuMPiiN
best one you can buy is the E153 LSD from the MR2 and convert it to FWD, its pretty simple and is the best you can get for a FWD 6th gen.
Tom_SS2
QUOTE (JuMPiiN @ Aug 22, 2010 - 2:03 AM) *
best one you can buy is the E153 LSD from the MR2 and convert it to FWD, its pretty simple and is the best you can get for a FWD 6th gen.

not really much point unless you intend to get big power gains from the lil' 5S-FE
ChfNix
Sweet! This is something I have always wondered myself!
This would make a good sticky if it gets more info in it!
chinamandrift

7A-FE - C52
3S-FE - S54
3S-GE - S54
3S-GE SSS none beams - E56
3S-GE SSS beams - S54
3S-GTE - E154F
5S-FE - S54

in addition what i found from a shop U.S only FWD

85-89 celica 2.0L 3S-FE had S53
89-93 celica 2.2L 5S-FE had S53
89-91 celica 1.6L 4A-FE has C52
91-93 celica 1.6L 4A-FE has C52
93-99 celica 1.8L 7A-FE had C52
93-99 celica 2.2L 5S-FE had S54
Rusty
check further down the page
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...68176&st=80

I hope to have a gearbox id, ratios and y/n LSD etc info sticky thread shortly.
chinamandrift
good news ...i sourced out a Transmission from an unknown 3S series engine from japan at a JDM shop ....

i took my S54 USD 98 5sfe to the shop to compare

....everything is almost the same the cv axles line up ...input shaft has 20 splines.. everything is in the proper place except the rib design on the trannies are different ...when i get 150 bucks i will post pictures of the transmissions and a complete tare down
chinamandrift
ok more news WTH

so some S54 from japan has LSD ..this is tripping me out cuz i got this tranny for 150

but the tranny i bought has this

notice the inside cross shaft .. i cant see through it ...does it mean i have lsd? if it is what kind ?
i know nothing about the car this came out of...when i bought this ... it was already out of the car sitting on the floor..
i was told this was from a 3S series motor thats all the info i got

here is the USDM S54 tranny from my Celica

notice the cross shaft ...its alot more narrow ...and i can see all the way through the transmission

im taking both transmissions apart tomorrow ..but the suspense is killing me ..can anyone confirm ?
Rusty
reading through my link............ I have a feeling you might have a S54-06D (Helical LSD) 95 - 99

but would rather people who have done a SS-III BEAMS & tranny swap just to confirm it, since it could be a S54-06A non LSD, just the difference between the 5S-FE and 3S-GE non lsd transmissions.
Tom_SS2
The "bar" check only works on MR2 tranny's/LSD's, as far as i'm aware, the "bar" actually means nothing at all it is just a coincidental physical difference on those tranny's. The only ways to know for sure is to dismantle and check or find the box code as Rusty says; S54-06D - LSD, S54-06A no LSD
DEATH
Very interested as I wish to keep my s54/3S-GTE combination cause I like the gearing better for the racing I do [tho a longer 5th gear would make me happy]. If I can get an LSD in my trany I'm all about that.
BTW - You guys DO KNOW the MRS LSD will work for our s54's - if you can find one. wink.gif
Tom_SS2
QUOTE (DEATH @ Aug 26, 2010 - 3:05 PM) *
Very interested as I wish to keep my s54/3S-GTE combination cause I like the gearing better for the racing I do [tho a longer 5th gear would make me happy]. If I can get an LSD in my trany I'm all about that.
BTW - You guys DO KNOW the MRS LSD will work for our s54's - if you can find one. wink.gif

the part number for the TRD LSD for the S54 box is 41301-ST804 they're often floating around on ebay
DEATH
Oh really?!? Thanks Tom_SS2
Any confirmation that will work in a USDM s54? It should right?
And BTW - I'm very positive a friend who is a very knowledgeable service tech at a Yota dealership told me the BEAMS Celicas came with an e153 tranny. That doesn't make it true obviously but perhaps something for you guys to consider.
Culpable04
BEAMS did not come with e153, that has been discuss on this same topic earlier and prove has been shwon that it in fact came with s54.

and yes, the MR-S LSD will work in a S54, they are easily available on eBay and cheap to get in UK as all MR-S had LSDs ( hellical BTW )
DEATH
I don't know a hell of alot when it comes to the differences between types of LSD - is Hellical good?
How does each of them work?
Hellical
Clutch type
1 way
1.5 way
etc
Culpable04
you have mainly 3 types of LSDs
Hellical
Viscous ( vLSD )
Clutch type

Hellical LSD
is a gear LSD

power is transfer to both wheels by the gears, one draw back of Helical LSDs is that both wheels have to has some resistance ( touching the ground ) for the LSD to distribute the power, if one wheel is in the air or on ice, the gears will spin the wheel with no toruqe twice as fast, this is the reason why hellical LSDs are also refer to as Torsen ( torque Sensitive ) RWD drivers overcome this by applying the eBrake when one wheel looses traction, the brakes will act as a resistance on the wheel with no traction, splitting the power back to 50 / 50. Hellical LSDs can be aggressive as with a sudden torque application to one wheel the other will grab instantly.

Viscous LSDs

they are sealed units, that contain a silicone fluid in it, along with LSD couplin ( metal ), as one wheel spins at a different ratio in relation to the other, the different in speeds will generate friction and thus heat, once the silicone gets hot it will expenad moving the LSD couplin together and thus sending the power to both wheels to bring them to the same speed.

Viscous LSDs are maintance free, and the only thing to worry about when using them is not to get them overheated, overheating will destroy ( change the properties ) the silicone and the LSD will not work, so system will act as a regular open diff from that point and on. Most manufacturers prefer vLSD in FWD application because of the smoothness with which the power gets transfer.

Clutch type,

name says it all, it has clutches inside it, thsi LSDs are very high maintance, under real racing they need to be rebuilt after each race or so, they can come in different ways like 1.5 and 2 way
this clutches are not intented to be installed on FWD cars, they are aggresive,

Note, I wrote this right before taking my lunch so I'm hungry and have not much time, there may be spelling errors or some information crossed out lol, but I'll revise it later or if you guys feel something is not right, corect me.
DEATH
Feel free to edit - I'm adding this to my Car Engineering files [yes my work spills over into my car building hobby - so what?]

Awesome Info Culp - Thanks alot. Any way I can get you to give me more when you're at home bored?
chinamandrift
sorry for the wait guys ...i still have both the JDM unkown S54 and the USDM GT 98 S54 .....i plan on taking it apart today but ...since the teachers are not there ...i cant take it apart ....they have the special tools i need for it ....im going to check gear ratios too ...so stay tuned
stephen_lee
1 way: lsd action is only when engine torque is applied to the diff
2 way: lsd action is applied when torque from the engine OR the driveshaft(s) act upon the diff
1.5 way: anywhere between the two (lsd locks up only partially when the driveshaft applies torque to the diff)

drawback to viscous (possibly)
the fluid in the VC coupling can apparently go bad with normal use (~60,000 miles)
*unreliable source*

Rusty
i'm not aware of that, however the shims can wear in viscous lsd
zeus83
i bought a tranny...the sellers claims its from a celica and with LSD.....e56 maybe?

by looking at the tranny i can tell its an E153, big shaft and big axles...the prob is it an LSD, 1, 1.5 or 2 way...

i've tried to test it, put it to neutral....it rotates diff directions, put it to 1-5th same outcome....i havnt applied engine power, cause im still looking for the MR2 axles

help appreciated
chacha
irrelevant, but does the 7afe ST 1.8L celica's clutch cylinder work with the 5sfe 2.2L clutch cylinder?

same with the master clutch cylinder?

or 1990-1993 2.2L 5sfe celica work with 5sfe 2.2L 94-99 celica? *compatible with each others' master and slave clutch cylinder?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.