Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Sound Got Louder
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
fgvillegas
i just noticed that after upgrading my cams and having my engine dyno tuned, my exhaust sound got louder.

what could be the reason? does it have something to do with the size of the exhaust pipe? the current size is 2-3/8". i don't know if it should be increased or decreased.

thanks.
freddy121389
this is a complete guess, I'm limited on knowledge as to building engines but here it goes anyway. When upgrading cams it increases the duration of lift on your valves allowing more air and fuel to go into the chamber meaning bigger combustion. With a bigger combustion means a louder sound. I think this would be the reason anyway. Anyone else want to chime in?
fgvillegas
QUOTE (freddy121389 @ Sep 26, 2010 - 2:15 AM) *
this is a complete guess, I'm limited on knowledge as to building engines but here it goes anyway. When upgrading cams it increases the duration of lift on your valves allowing more air and fuel to go into the chamber meaning bigger combustion. With a bigger combustion means a louder sound. I think this would be the reason anyway. Anyone else want to chime in?

thanks, i think that's a good point! smile.gif

do you think increasing the exhaust pipe will decrease the sound without sacrificing low to mid power?
freddy121389
depends on what engine you have and what mods you've done to it
Nartanian
QUOTE (freddy121389 @ Sep 26, 2010 - 2:15 AM) *

Pretty much nailed it. I heard a difference going from stock to 272s. It has to do with the size and the amount of lift the cams allow for. Bigger cams usually give the engine some lope to it at idle too. You will also run on less vacuum compared to stock cams.

Also increasing you piping size diameter (from downpipe or cat) will not make your car quieter. It will in fact make it noticeably louder. Depending you what you've done though you will most likely free up (not gain) more power. You should tell us more bout your set-up and how much power you're making.
stl95celica
i wanna hear this bad boy. post up a good video biggrin.gif
fgvillegas
@freddy121389: i have a 3rd gen 3sge. the mods done are headers, 2-3/8" piping, straight through muffler, cams (272 deg duration, 9.3 lift, IN/EX), camgears (set to -1 IN, +1 EX), slighlty increase fuel pressure and CAI.

@Nartanian: what happens when you run with less vacuum? for the set up stated above, will increasing my exhaust pipe diameter loss some bottom end power?

@stl95celica: i will try to post one but maybe early next year. i'm planning to do some other mods and go back to the dyno again. too bad, i did not think of doing so during my previous dyno.

thanks guys!!!
CELL_PROTOTYPE_X
Get a resonator...it will help muffle the sound if it's an issue.
str8thugginit4ya
QUOTE (CELL_PROTOTYPE_X @ Sep 28, 2010 - 8:57 AM) *
Get a resonator...it will help muffle the sound if it's an issue.

^^^ Do that, but don't go cheap on the resonator and make sure it's the same size as your piping. Wouldn't want the resonator to hold back your exhaust flow.

-Ryan
fgvillegas
@CELL_PROTOTYPE_X and str8thugginit4ya: i already have a resonator with the same size as my exhaust pipe.

i'm just wondering why the sound got louder after upgrading the cams. i was thinking that the size of my exhaust pipe is not enough anymore because of the additional air going out of the system.

thanks,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.