Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car won't start. Help?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
HectortheRican
Well, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, my car decided to not start today after no signs of anything previously wrong. It can't be the battery because the alarm, power accessories, lights, etc still work.

Here's a video I took while attempting to turn it over so the sound can be heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdVKcAPsx48

Thanks guys!
mak5603
Starter? Or battery cables come lose?
HectortheRican
I'm thinking starter. I checked all the cables and everything. It worked just fine, parked it for a few days, now it doesn't start. Unless an earthquake came through, cables couldn't come loose kindasad.gif

Actually, I think I may know what it is. Since I haven't really been driving her around much, and when I do, it's very short distances, I suspect that the alternator just hasn't had a chance to charge the battery up properly. I'm gonna go get a jump and I'll report back.
dukebound85
have you tried jumping it?

if that works, your starter should be good
blu94gt
Battery. That clicking is the starter not getting enough power to engage the flywheel. Just because you have enough voltage to run all the accessories doesn't mean you have enough amperage to turn the starter. That's the biggest load on the battery.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (blu94gt @ Oct 18, 2010 - 11:47 PM) *
Battery. That clicking is the starter not getting enough power to engage the flywheel. Just because you have enough voltage to run all the accessories doesn't mean you have enough amperage to turn the starter. That's the biggest load on the battery.

Thanks. I figured that out the same day lol. I got to thinking about it and it hit me. DUH. Since I don't drive around much anymore, and when I do, it's short distances, the alternator hasn't had a good chance to charge the battery back up. Thanks though
blu94gt
No problem, glad you got it figured out!
stephen_lee
buy like a 15$ trickle charger from harbor freight and plug it in when ur not driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.