Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advancing Timing
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
d3ath2009
ok, so ive found a topic on here that talks about advancing the timing on the 7afe... does anybody know what the timing marks are for this? ive searched as much as i know to search w/o any success. i understand that factory is at 10* and 15* is best bet for max power w/o hurting reliability.
Batman722
because you have a 97 you cannot adjust your timing.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Batman722 @ Oct 26, 2010 - 10:18 PM) *

Why's that? OBDII?
d3ath2009
QUOTE (Batman722 @ Oct 26, 2010 - 11:18 PM) *

seriosly?!?... why is that? and if it cant b done all i have to say is, wtf toyota
mkernz22
Im thinking it's because it's OBII as well because there are more sensors than the OBDI.

Lucky me that I have OBDI, but I need to convert the '97 engine that is going into my car to OBDI
Johnnyny
QUOTE (d3ath2009 @ Oct 27, 2010 - 9:14 AM) *
QUOTE (Batman722 @ Oct 26, 2010 - 11:18 PM) *

seriosly?!?... why is that? and if it cant b done all i have to say is, wtf toyota

i think you can but it will just reset so useless
presure2
the distributor is non adjustable, it just bolts into place.
in theory, you could slot the hole for some adjustment, but i dont know how the ECU would respond.
mkernz22
wait, so Manny, you're saying that I couldn't advance the timing if I convert the engine to OBI? or could I if I slot the hole?
presure2
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 27, 2010 - 10:53 AM) *
wait, so Manny, you're saying that I couldn't advance the timing if I convert the engine to OBI? or could I if I slot the hole?

if you swapped to a 94-95 ecu, and distributor, ecu, yes, you could.

if you have a 96+, you'd have to slot the hole, but even then, i dont know if or how the ECU would respond to it.
d3ath2009
now i know why my mustang enthusiast friend wont have anything to do with fuel injection... he works strictly with carb, and pushes out as much power as possible w/o doing damage to the motor or adding forced induction
mkernz22
QUOTE (presure2 @ Oct 27, 2010 - 11:15 AM) *
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 27, 2010 - 10:53 AM) *

if you swapped to a 94-95 ecu, and distributor, ecu, yes, you could.

if you have a 96+, you'd have to slot the hole, but even then, i dont know if or how the ECU would respond to it.

Ohh I understand now. I'm definitely converting the '97 to OBDI. It's going to be a little bit of a process because I'm swapping the maunal engine/tranny harness onto the 97 engine, as well as the 94 ECU, and all the other parts that I will need as well to ceonvert it. I just need to get the other Celica first though lol
presure2
why are you doing that if i may ask?
mkernz22
Advancing the timing or converting it to OBDI?

If you're talking about the timing, I just want to get a little bit more torque out of the car.
If you're talking about converting it to OBDI, then it's because my car is already setup that way, and I'd rather it be OBDI than OBDII since there are less sensors. Also, the wiring harness that will be going onto the 97 engine will be from a manual 94 car and I just want the manual harness so that I won't have to splice any wirings together. I just want it to be very clean.
Johnnyny
u will spend more in gas than wat u get in power...
mkernz22
ohh, well no one mentioned that in any of these advanced timing threads, unless i skipped over something haha
Johnnyny
u have to use 93octane to prevent knock and no one advances their timing because there is no benefit otherwise everyone would do it and there would be a write up etc
mkernz22
i remember reading that part of it, but yeah i guess it's not really worth itt
d3ath2009
i read that the higher octane isnt really necessary until u hit about 18* or so... i was gonna go to 15*, but looks like i cant since the stupid OBDII... what was the point in that versus OBDI, i mean what do we need that OBDII has that OBDI doesnt have?
mkernz22
As for what I know, OBDII has more sensors and stuff like that. It also has a port inside of the car for when you go to inspection or just for the engine management stuff. So say if your airbag system isn't working, they would know on the OBDII because they have the plug-in unit, where as on the OBDI there is no port so they can only do a visual inspection. This is only what I know and heard so if you're looking for something specific, someone else on here will probably know alot more
Remy
OBDII Has NOTHING to do with toyota, all cars made/driven in USA had to swtich to OBDII 96+ and advance timing is useless on our cars it'll just give you a little better throttle response no mad 1000whp or anything its better on honda motors though I know from experience.
fgvillegas
from what i know, advance timing will not add power. it will just move the torque at lower rpm and therefore makes the car more responsive in lower rpms.

if you a piggy back like emanage, you can adjust the timing there without moving the distributor. but if you'll be buying that just for the timing, i think it's not worth it unless you have other future plans or other existing mods that requires adjusting the a/f ratio and others.
presure2
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 27, 2010 - 4:11 PM) *
As for what I know, OBDII has more sensors and stuff like that. It also has a port inside of the car for when you go to inspection or just for the engine management stuff. So say if your airbag system isn't working, they would know on the OBDII because they have the plug-in unit, where as on the OBDI there is no port so they can only do a visual inspection. This is only what I know and heard so if you're looking for something specific, someone else on here will probably know alot more

if you have a 96+ car, in MA, they just plug in the OBDII connector to test the car. if it dont work, you fail.
for a 94/5 they just test all the saftey stuff now. IE: headlights, taillights, seat belts, ect.
Ted95
QUOTE (presure2 @ Oct 28, 2010 - 7:09 AM) *
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 27, 2010 - 4:11 PM) *

if you have a 96+ car, in MA, they just plug in the OBDII connector to test the car. if it dont work, you fail.
for a 94/5 they just test all the saftey stuff now. IE: headlights, taillights, seat belts, ect.

you still have to becareful tho even with a 94/95 bc i recently failed a inspection tes bc of my abs, check engine, exhaust and lisence plate holder!

i guess the state (MA) has been crackin down harder on the inspection places and actually testing them by bringin in carrs (like mine) and seeing if they would pass or not and the place being fined $10,000.

but then again, my dad knew the guy and i forgot to tell the guy who i was, and i went back 3 days later and passsed biggrin.gif

idk if this was completely off topic, i quickly breesed thru this thread lol
mkernz22
I passed inspection with the ABS light on lol they never said anything about it!
d3ath2009
i have no clue what anybody on here is talking about when they say inspections. if there were inspections where im from, there would only b about 1/4 of the cars on the road
Johnnyny
lucky you ^
mkernz22
QUOTE (d3ath2009 @ Oct 28, 2010 - 11:48 AM) *
i have no clue what anybody on here is talking about when they say inspections. if there were inspections where im from, there would only b about 1/4 of the cars on the road

you son of a gun. haha
i envy you.
d3ath2009
really though, are inspections a city thing or what? a friend of mine bought an rx-8 and had to have it inspected liek 2 weeks later, but nothing since then and its been over a year
mkernz22
usually it's every year or two that you need to get it inspected.
some states require them and some don't
d3ath2009
ok.. i guess ohio doesnt require them then. but i think some cities in ohio do bc i know a few ppl on campus that are from cleveland, and they have their cars inspected annually
Ted95
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 28, 2010 - 10:41 AM) *
I passed inspection with the ABS light on lol they never said anything about it!

well my mustang passed with the ABS too but this time the guy thought he was being tested so he pulled the book out on my car and took 40 mins to check the car and fail! lol
mkernz22
QUOTE (Ted95 @ Nov 1, 2010 - 11:49 PM) *

well my mustang passed with the ABS too but this time the guy thought he was being tested so he pulled the book out on my car and took 40 mins to check the car and fail! lol

That suckssss lol
Ted95
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 2, 2010 - 5:01 PM) *
QUOTE (Ted95 @ Nov 1, 2010 - 11:49 PM) *

That suckssss lol

i kno but its fine now =] until i pu my 3s in.. idk how that will work out.. i guess we will see.
boosted185
QUOTE (d3ath2009 @ Oct 29, 2010 - 10:45 AM) *
ok.. i guess ohio doesnt require them then. but i think some cities in ohio do bc i know a few ppl on campus that are from cleveland, and they have their cars inspected annually

Ohio does not have an annual state inspection. The reason your friend who lives near Cleveland had to have an "inspection" is for E-check. They basically put your car on a "dyno" (its basically just rollers in the floor) Run your car with a sniffer in the tail pipe and check emissions. I lived in Ohio for the past 5 years, and have friends in the Cleveland, Mentor, Painesville area. They all have to do that because they are so close to the city. Other states like PA, where I'm originally from have an annual state inspection. Your car must pass this inspection to be legal to drive on the roads. They check to make sure all your lights work properly, tire tread depth, brake thickness, ball joints and various other things, your HORN even has to work or they will not pass your car. Sorry for the complely off topic rant, but I thought I would clarify a few tid bits wink.gif
b22ri22an
I once failed NJ state inspection for my license plates being dirty... well it failed for gas cap vacuum as well, had to buy a new gas cap and wipe the liscense plates clean and it passed. long story short move to florida smile.gif no inspections here
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.