Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Belt dressing
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
96stgreendemon
Now that the cold is here my belts i replaced about a year ago are squeeling again on cold starts when i turn the wheel, does not do this when its warm out or the engine has warmed up but only when its cold and i turn the wheel. now i know its not the belts, so what can i do to fix this? any type of belt dressing or some people have even said armorall, so thoughts?
HectortheRican
Same happens to me. On belts with less than 6,000 miles. I tried dressing and nothing. It's just cause of the cold. Let it warm up and then go, it's nothing to worry about man. What I do, I let it warm up and rev constantly but keep it below 2,000. That way I'm good to go in a minute or so at most. Hope that helps!
purplegt4
sometimes it's the belt design. try a goodyear gatorback.
presure2
the belt isnt tight enough.
theyre tough to get to and tighten, and most mechanics are lazy.
lol
96stgreendemon
I have gatorback belts on there now, how do i get more tension out of it?
HectortheRican
QUOTE (presure2 @ Nov 2, 2010 - 12:03 PM) *
the belt isnt tight enough.
theyre tough to get to and tighten, and most mechanics are lazy.
lol

Really? I suspected that so I touched them and it's like touching a wood plank, they're pretty tight.
96stgreendemon
same here, have read a few different things people say fixes it
blu94gt
You don't want them too tight. You want about 1/4 inch deflection when you push on it.

I've never had much luck with belt dressing, but most of the time my belts haven't made any noise, they've just gotten old, cracked, and worn out.
HectortheRican
Hmm. I'll try to look into it. It's kind of annoying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.