Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camry gearbox ratios
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Euphoria
Hey, I recently picked up an S54 gearbox and not realizing when I first got it that it had a different mount on it, I looked it up on the parts database and its out of a camry, I specifically said "Are you sure its not out of a camry?" and they said it was definitely from a celica, yet the warranty is now up.

My question is does anyone know the ratios of the S54 out of a camry, guessing 90-2000 model, I've always loved how 1st and 2nd are short and am not looking forward to long gears which I suspect.

Also I'm only guessing its an S54, it looks exactly the same apart from the mount, maybe its an S53? If so, anyone any clue on the ratios?

Thanks.
HectortheRican
S54s weren't in Camrys, S53s were. The S54s were in Celicas and MR2s

The first 2 gear ratios for an S54 in an MR2 are

1st gear: 3.285:1
2nd gear: 1.960:1

I couldn't find the Celica ones.. I dunno why they'd be different though.
Hope that helps
Euphoria
Well it must be an S53 sigh...anyone know ratios for S53?
Johnnyny
S53

A 5-Speed Manual Transmission.

Ratios:are not fin

* First Gear: 3.285
* Second Gear: 2.041
* Third Gear: 1.322
* Fourth Gear: 1.028
* Fifth Gear: 0.820
* Reverse Gear: 3.153
* Final Drive: 3.944:1
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Johnnyny @ Nov 12, 2010 - 8:24 PM) *
S53

A 5-Speed Manual Transmission.

Ratios:are not fin

* First Gear: 3.285
* Second Gear: 2.041
* Third Gear: 1.322
* Fourth Gear: 1.028
* Fifth Gear: 0.820
* Reverse Gear: 3.153
* Final Drive: 3.944:1

LOLOL I got the ratios for the S54 from wikipedia too laugh.gif
Johnnyny
lol yah and it say s53 was in celi but its not on the celi page but whatever
HectortheRican
I just found this

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/6thgen.htm
Euphoria
Haha I found the wiki page just before I came on here.

So pretty much the S53 on has different ratios in 2nd, so it would be maybe 10-20kph difference?

Thanks for the help guys.
easternpiro1
pardon me, sorry to butt in but ive always wondered what the numbers on the gear ratios meant. i first became curious after playing tokyo extreme racer zero, but im still confused.

so the larger the difference between the numbers of each gear ratio for each gear= longer gears and the shorter = shorter gears right?

so you would want short gears in a drag race, but long ones on something like a highway run?

plz explain?
HectortheRican
That's pretty much it. In Gran Turismo 4, I'd make my Le Mans car's ratios really short and it'd only get up to about 150mph but it'd do it fast as hell. When when I set them up very long, I got that SOB up to about 320mph, but it look a long time. Basically the shorter the gear, the higher the acceleration and vice versa.

Edit: Gran Turismo is the only driving game you can reference in a real life automotive conversation and not be called a dumba$$ laugh.gif
azian_advanced
gear ratios are basically the rotating speed of the faster gear divided by the rotating speed of the slower gear. for cars it's the speed of the output gear (or shaft) divided by the speed of the input gear. with higher gear ratios, you can achieve higher output speeds (or driving speeds) with less input speed (or less engine RPM).

higher gear ratios have a large gear compared to the smaller gear. the smaller gear rotates faster than the larger gear but because its diameter is smaller, it has less 'leverage' to force it to spin so it requires more engine power to turn it. for racing you want small gear ratios for acceleration.. but obviously you don't want to run out of gears before the end of the run.
Euphoria
QUOTE (easternpiro1 @ Nov 13, 2010 - 1:27 AM) *
so you would want short gears in a drag race, but long ones on something like a highway run?

plz explain?

Not necessarily, thats probably a big reason the 6th gen isn't that quick to 100 but does the 1/4 in a alright time, as you have to go through 3 gears to get to 100, where as other cars are still in 2nd at 100. I just love the short ratios for windy roads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.