Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Swap Question
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Raves44
Hey there i was wondering if anyone on here has done the swap from a 7afe to a 5sfe. I am curious about doing this swap. I have a 95 st and i have had it for 3 years and I am ready for more power. I know that the power difference is not much but lets face it doing a 3sgte swap on a daily driver is very expensive for a college student and also would not be able to drive it assuming how long the swap would take. I have been looking and i would be getting the whole clip from a gt since i would have to do the motor, motor mounts tranny axles and such. I also see that you can do a lot to the 5sfe as opposed to the 7a. If anyone has done the swap i am curious on how difficult it is and since i would be doing a lot of the same to do the 3s if it would take that much time as well. Any input is appreciated.

also i am looking into this because i found a gt at the junkyard with the full front clip, mor for like $200 and it sounds like a steal smile.gif

Thanks

Raves
block
you're better off with keeping the 7a because they're both equally slow, and you won't feel the difference.
Raves44
Well i have been in my friends gt and it is noticeably faster and like i said it seems to be that the 5s is built to take more. People dont seem to boost 7as like they do the 5s so thats what im looking for.
Raves44
I guess in the end the real question would be is it better to get a 7a with less miles, because i know mine is not in good shape, and build the 7a or just put a 5s in it and build that
Johnnyny
7a all the way is best for you
Raves44
Just curious on why you say that i mean yes i could build the 7a but what is going to give me more bang for the buck?
Johnnyny
7a bolts right back on 5s not worth going through the trouble of tranny radiator axles power steering ac mount and any other electrical things if im going throught that headache its 3s all the way
njccmd2002
Slapping a 5s is not easy if you are short on money like u said. Expect the unexpected. Gremlins. Rebuild you 7a and have fun with it, when u get tired of it then buy a subaru, evo, or any other car that may be faster tan celica.

you want fast, reliable, cheap....

pick two.

even a beams swap ends up up there..
richee3
You want a cheap motor swap, get a 4A-GE silvertop. The 5S does have more power at any speed than the 7A, but for what it would cost to swap a 5S in, just get the Silvertop and run with that.
SupraKid
It really depends what your goals are for the car. If your a college student with little to no income,and this is your daily transportation, i wouldnt look to be swapping any engine in. I would slowly start saving and once you have a good amount piled up(at least 2-3k)THEN i would start to look into swapping/turboing.
njccmd2002
QUOTE (SupraKid @ Nov 26, 2010 - 7:36 PM) *
It really depends what your goals are for the car. If your a college student with little to no income,and this is your daily transportation, i wouldnt look to be swapping any engine in. I would slowly start saving and once you have a good amount piled up(at least 2-3k)THEN i would start to look into swapping/turboing.

soulshadow
Sell off your car and just buy a GT.
Soulend
Engine: 5S-FE 7A-FE
Cylinders: 4 4
Displacement: 2.2 liters 1.8 liters
Type: DOHC DOHC
Horsepower: 135@5400 RPM1 110@5600 RPM2
Torque:(lbs.-ft.) 145@4400 RPM 115@2800 RPM3
Forced Induction: None None

that's Generally what it boils down too... there ARE articles on how to turn your 5sfe into a 5sfte, but again its expansive. the 3sgte swap isn't THAT bad, as long as you know what you are getting into. 90% of my issues were caused by my lack of knowledge on what parts were the same and what I needed to change... I will eventually write up an article on the whys and hows for an 7AFE swap.

you are right, it takes time, money and effort. but that's what happens. if you are attached to your Celica like I am to mine, then by all means go for the swap you can afford and want. but like Johnny said there ate things that will need to be switched from each engine and car. if you are getting a front clip GREAT! that means you probably have all the parts you'll need. but from a junk yard... it means you'll need to check EVERYTHING. and possibly rebuild the engine.

I know for a fact, the swap to a 3sgte will cost over 4K. its that simple. for every part you need AFTER the 2.5K-ish you spend on the engine.

so $200 is a steal, not sure how much you'll need to put in it after that. but the whole point it to have fun and enjoy owning a Celica.

I don't care what other people say. sure you can BUY a faster car later on, but if the point is to own a Celica, then do what YOU want.

I am a Die hard fan of this car so changing engines was the only way to go for me.

Good luck man, I hope you choose to keep the Celica and make her your own.

Kevin
TerBeau
do a 4agze swap. cheap, swaps right in, stock forged internals, supercharged, later down the road your can turbo it and then you will be set. win win situation. keep your wallet heavy still and have a semi fast car!!! slight mod to harness btw
garin
the 4agze is a nice engine, but does not really do much justice in the celica.
Johnnyny
you could always up it to 1.8 but still the waters are unclear
TerBeau
QUOTE (garin @ Dec 2, 2010 - 11:39 PM) *

aww come on garin. we discussing a quick budget build for this guy. lol. its a unique swap in my theory and just would be a fun fast build
stwin2
yea i have done the 7a to a 5s swap, and its not worth it. And i just did it because my 7a died and i had a junk camary. i know if u got the gt clip it would be alot easyer than doin it with a camary, but if your lookin 4 a fast easy swap, go with the 4age, or a 4agze, if you can find one.
garin
QUOTE (TerBeau @ Dec 3, 2010 - 4:04 PM) *
QUOTE (garin @ Dec 2, 2010 - 11:39 PM) *

aww come on garin. we discussing a quick budget build for this guy. lol. its a unique swap in my theory and just would be a fun fast build

it is a unique swap props to that. i would save up though do a monster 7afte build or 3gste if power is the goal. if you just want a fun car with a unique twist go for the 4a...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.