Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: blown motor...
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
presure2
so ~9 months or so ago, i picked up a 95 GT for my nephew, josh.
he paid 400$ for it, it had a broken water pump which i replaced with one i had in the garage at the time.

he called me a couple days ago, and said "hey...somthing went wrong with the car,...i was driving to work on the highway, when all of a sudden, i lost all power, followed by loud knocking noises and smoke ect from under the hood. i pulled off the road, and a huge puddle of oil formed under the car"

so i told him he prolly threw a rod, and to have the car towed here today.

a few hrs ago, it got here, and this is what i found:

#1 rod decided it needed some air. laugh.gif

pulled the motor out a little while ago, and from just looking at it quick, it looks like it may have spun a bearing, and locked up on rod, which caused the rod bolts to snap...or maybe the rod bolt just took a crap. ill get better pics of it tommorow when we tear it down to install the accessories onto the replacment motor which i had in the garage from my cousins mr2, which actually was itchyb's old motor, from back in the day before he swapped.
the back story on it goes somthing like this...it started in itchys celica, which he turboed, blew up 2 turbos with (yes, blew up turbos, not the motor) when he swapped, he sold the motor to my cousin, with just under 100k on it. my cousin and i swapped all the mr2 stuff onto it, and he drove it around till just a couple months ago when he swapped in a 3rd gen. he was planning on tearing it down to a long block to go into storage, but i got this call before he could..lol

a couple more pics of the carnage for your veiwing pleasure:

when this crap happens, it makes a MESS of the engine bay!!

tommorow, ill transfer everything over to the other motor, and install it.
nice quick turnaround.
more pics tommorow! smile.gif
ILuvMyCelica95
I <3 you Manny.

Thats all smile.gif
Johnnyny
one day turn around ba !
presure2
QUOTE (ILuvMyCelica95 @ Dec 9, 2010 - 7:55 PM) *
I <3 you Manny.

Thats all smile.gif

we miss you 'round the way tina. frown.gif
Batman722
damn !
Keiri
I love that the garage is a mini parts warehouse and a blown 5SFE is a single day replacement up there in JDM Guy land. biggrin.gif

How much would you charge to rebuild a 5SFE for non-family Manny? LOL
Soulend
Manny, that new engine sounds like a BEAST haha I hope everything goes well!

Kevin
ILuvMyCelica95
QUOTE (presure2 @ Dec 9, 2010 - 8:10 PM) *
QUOTE (ILuvMyCelica95 @ Dec 9, 2010 - 7:55 PM) *
I <3 you Manny.

Thats all smile.gif

we miss you 'round the way tina. frown.gif

I know :*(
Bitter
A mess? Isn't that how those engine bays normally look? lower 1/2 soaked in engine oil for corrosion protection tongue.gif
presure2
QUOTE (Bitter @ Dec 10, 2010 - 8:42 AM) *
A mess? Isn't that how those engine bays normally look? lower 1/2 soaked in engine oil for corrosion protection tongue.gif

hah yea, this is true...lol

the front part of the bay that you cant really see in the pic, that normally isnt covered in oil, is now.
josh (my nephew) has some serious cleaning to do when he gets here in a while..lol
Bitter
It's a built in self oiling system, as the car ages it begins to actively prevent rust. Almost every car from the 80's, 90's has this system built in.
presure2
lol...so yesterday, i spent the day switching everything over to the other motor, got it into the bay, and fired it up...josh drove it home last night ~8:30.
i had him leave with no underplastics, and am having him come back today so i can check things over and reinstall them.

like it never happen. hehe

malpaso
damn... that is unbelievable. Amazing work!
Chockomon
great work dude!
Smaay
thats good, today, i pulled the motor out of a 7th gen GT-S, changed clutch and flywheel, replaced rear main seal, and put it back in car and drove it in 6 hours. new record!
Gtguy22
Ok this is really weird. That number 1 cylinder is defective I think. Im on my third engine with my celica, and the exact same thing happened. Right behind the alternator the number one cylinder arm snapped and shot through the block. I dont get it.
mkernz22
QUOTE (Gtguy22 @ Dec 12, 2010 - 6:24 PM) *
Ok this is really weird. That number 1 cylinder is defective I think. Im on my third engine with my celica, and the exact same thing happened. Right behind the alternator the number one cylinder arm snapped and shot through the block. I dont get it.

That's pretty weird man, how many miles do you have on car / each engine that you had?
I'm up to 218k and mine has been fine! (knock on wood)

Manny you do this stuff like it's nothing man!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.