Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1999 Celica GT with VVT-I Inside
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
BonzaiCelica
A little bit of background to my story and what I call an almost miracle biggrin.gif

WOW, I can't believe how much of a coincidence its been for me. The same day I crashed my car which was on Dec. 13 2010 was the same day that Erahman posted up his 99 Celica GT with beams swap for sale. I couldn't believe that the opportunity presented itself so quickly. What are the chances of that. I mainly believe that its just the fact that I've been wanting to get a beams swap since September of 2008. I actually bought a 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750 in July 2008. I was all ecstatic when I bought as anybody else would be, but when I found out about the beams swap thanks to Maikl I actually regretted buying the motorcycle. It then wasn't until may 2010 when I crashed my bike in the canyons that I knew the beams engine would be mine very soon. My parents have Triple AAA plus which allows you to tow any vehicle free of charge as long as it is not more than 100 miles. So I drove down to San Diego and the tow truck took my new Celica to my house biggrin.gif

I have to say that my dream car wouldn't of been possible if it wasn't for the fact that my grandma let me borrow $4,500. Those $4,500 that I used to buy the celica went a long ways. Erahman took real good care of the car and only put about 3,500 miles on the swap since June 2010. He has replaced a lot of maintenance parts. The one thing that was an upgrade was that fact that my celica now has ABS, power windows, power door locks and rear disk brakes!! tongue.gif

All I have to say is that If feels damn good to be unique haha! Some of you might ask what is he talking about. Let me put it this way over here in So cal there are probably 5 million civics and 2 million Integras. Also the fact that there are probably only 4 or 5 beams engines in all of California.

Walbro 255LPH fuel pump purchased from Tweak Tuning and WRC Style Rain Deflector given to me for about $8 thanks to batman! if anybody has a trd one in near perfect condition I'll trade you for my wrc one!!!
SupraKid
Nice, sell me that gauge pod.
njccmd2002
why is the strut out?

i think thats an improvement... all those goodies..

And to the vulture, this is not a fs thread...
Batman722
why a new fuel pump ? the Beams fuel pump is the same on that's in our US Celicas.
Luism392
nice car!!!!!! smile.gif hope to see it soon
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (Batman722 @ Feb 17, 2011 - 10:26 PM) *
why a new fuel pump ? the Beams fuel pump is the same on that's in our US Celicas.

facepalm. hmm I didn't know that. well the car already has 125,000 miles so I just thought a new one would be better than an old and used one.
chacha
ahh....so you bought that beam...congrats...must feel good. let me know if you got a "guy" to smog.
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Feb 17, 2011 - 9:19 PM) *
why is the strut out?

i think thats an improvement... all those goodies..

And to the vulture, this is not a fs thread...

the strut is out because I like my tanabe setup with blisten inserts. I'm swapping over my whole 94 Celica ST Suspension setup to the 99 gt.

oh and some other things I found today tongue.gif

Honda S2000 Antenna haha yes I know a honda part on my celica

Some JDM Goodness its so beautiful thumbsup.gif

delusionz
Good stuff. Nice Celica smile.gif
BonzaiCelica
KIRKASOURS Motor Mounts

kavy
Another celi with the BEAMS advantage and that too sooooo clean.Way to go thumbsup.gif
malpaso
That BEAMS really looks beautiful in white car... hmmm.
95CelicaST
Sell me the steering wheel.
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Feb 23, 2011 - 10:51 AM) *

haha no way they came stock on all celica from 98-99 I believe.

update : the front suspension is on and all four tires are on the ground. now onto swapping out the rear suspension
Keiri
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 23, 2011 - 3:50 PM) *

update : the front suspension is on and all four tires are on the ground. now onto swapping out the rear suspension

Yup, one of the joys of having the later 90's models: 3-spoke leather wheels. biggrin.gif

This is going to be one of the best "fixer'up" projects on the site.
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (Keiri @ Feb 23, 2011 - 4:02 PM) *
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 23, 2011 - 3:50 PM) *

Yup, one of the joys of having the later 90's models: 3-spoke leather wheels. biggrin.gif

This is going to be one of the best "fixer'up" projects on the site.

hey thanks! biggrin.gif your keeping me motivated to fix it up even faster. Im going to work on it tonight. Im just gettin started...
gt4st205
Let me know by PM if you are missing anything crucial for the engine. Preferably easy to get (a Junkyard here has one).
BonzaiCelica
haha darn look at this. The law of attraction at work. Coincidence I think not. look at the time frame I put up for getting the swap and that's how long I've been wanting this engine. 2 years and 4 months later it became mine.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...mode=linearplus
SupraKid
But..you didnt swap?You bought a car that had already been shop swaped.laugh.gif
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (SupraKid @ Feb 25, 2011 - 11:41 PM) *
But..you didnt swap?You bought a car that had already been shop swaped.laugh.gif

haha of course I should off known you come on here with that smart a$$ reply. hey you little #@$*%^ ill see you at the meet alright. laugh.gif
SupraKid
Haha Ill be driving my legally registered celica.(in which i dont smog) what will you be driving? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif bwahahhahaha
quick_5hifter
I've read somewhere else that you have a Tanabe DF210 spring set... I'm also waiting for mine to arrive. Could you please upload some photos when you finish installing them?
Thank you very much and congratulations for that Beams engine!
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (quick_5hifter @ Mar 6, 2011 - 1:44 PM) *
I've read somewhere else that you have a Tanabe DF210 spring set... I'm also waiting for mine to arrive. Could you please upload some photos when you finish installing them?
Thank you very much and congratulations for that Beams engine!

ya man no problem Ill take a pic, so far I've noticed that with the heavier 3sge engine vs my old 7afe set up the wheel gap is a little less, before it was 4 fingers with 7afe and now its 3.5 fingers with 3sge engine.
BonzaiCelica
haha yes update with no pics I finally got the car on the road today. Man it feels so damn good!! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Was dealing with some brake issues but got them sorted out 30 min ago. The car pulls nice so far, but I've only revved it to 4,000 rpm. Haven't felt the sweet spot off vvt-i from 4-7rpm. The brakes are a massive upgrade so far from my ST Setup. My Short Ram intake sounds so sick!!! basically like my buddy's ap2 s2000 but not as high revving.

The Down pipe Exhaust size is 2.25" then goes to 2" from the de-cat back and then to 1.75 inches from the exhaust muffler and out. Its so restrictive and the exhaust sounds like crap. I'll post some pics by tuesday or wednesday. Spending 12 hours today with the celica was a real pita, and that's how I spent my 21st bday haha.

Well plenty of work ahead of me wink.gif
njccmd2002
glad you like the intake...

also you need a better exhaust to love the beams..

ill take some videos of mine... someday

oh and 9000 rpm is so sick. dont ask dont tell
BonzaiCelica
ya i need to put my 2.25" magnaflow exhaust system with the fitted high flow magnaflow catalytic converter on asap from my old car. So any cops that might creep up behind me smell the fumes of the engine, I'm catalytic converter free right now kindasad.gif.
BonzaiCelica
update! biggrin.gif

TRD Rain Deflector $16 hehe

12" Megan Racing Slim Fans

Timken Front Wheel Bearings with Seals $120
delusionz
Dude! Take that thing up to 7000 RPM smile.gif

That 1.75 exhaust might be a problem though.
BonzaiCelica
ah yes the 2 inch to 1.75 exhaust piping on the stock gt is restrictive. Although at the moment I have no catalytic converter. Not good as cops can smell my exhaust fumes. I'll get that fixed next weekend.

heres the video of my custom made intake hehe

mkernz22
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Mar 14, 2011 - 3:03 AM) *
glad you like the intake...

also you need a better exhaust to love the beams..

ill take some videos of mine... someday

oh and 9000 rpm is so sick. dont ask dont tell

you can rev it to 9000?....
and that sounds sick man, just watched the vid!
BonzaiCelica
ya im not sure what norbert is talking about. Im sure he doesn't know how to loom the engine either. In japan when they used to race the SS-III celica they would put the rev limiter at 8,600rpm where it would produce peak power. So theres no way he's able to hit 9,000 rpm on his stock engine.

Ya the intake sounds just like a k20 but needs the extra 1,000 rpm to sound like it, and as you can see by the video my idle problems are very minimal. If you hear the intake right before I start to rev it you'll notice it starts to make a weird noise, but otherwise it works great.. The intake sounds much better in person biggrin.gif my camcorder is a bit old.
EKAn
so how are you going to register it and get it to pass smog?
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (EKAn @ Mar 21, 2011 - 12:16 AM) *
so how are you going to register it and get it to pass smog?

wow there!!, I already got that all figured out hehe. I already have the 2011 tag on the back of my license if you can see it in the first pic and it passed smog already!!!
EKAn
For real? But there's no way that engine would pass a visual test in California
BonzaiCelica
update: wont stop making noise, front sway bar components, brake components, pooping noise when going over bumps/dips!!!. Ordered the wrong power slot rotor for the 91 celica gt. Stupid mosaic motorsports didn't list 94-00 celica rotor but listed it as 2000 Celica GT. So i thought the 7th gen gt brake rotor was different. Great now I have to wait another week till Friday or so to make the exchange through US Post office.

This is seriously like the never ending storry! question is will I ever be able to drive my celica without it making a noise. This is driving me up the wall

mad.gif

Jan 22nd to March 26 = Car still not in perfect driving condition, and its my daily driver as well. man this sucks
chacha
hang in there...with an old car, that's just how it is...noises do suck A$$
delusionz
Will it be sweet once the correct rotor is installed?

I read somewhere in the thread "what parts from other gens are compatible with our cars" that "7th gen brakes are compatible and in theory so are 7th gen big brake kits"
delusionz
Btw I doubt you can smell fumes from another car, it has to be really old and ****ty, like a VW Combi van with black smoke or something
block
Looking good man.
trdproven
jealous, have fun with it.
dudeofchaos
Sick! Nice job man! Keep up the good work! Jealous people here... Including me! hehe smile.gif
BonzaiCelica
a bit of an update you can say....

57MM Magnaflow Exhaust from Old 94 Celica will be fitted by Friday or this Saturday with the addition of a magnaflow 14" Long Resonator. I will also be changing the routing of the piping to under the rear sub frame. Current setup with the crush bents over the sub frame I feel that it is restricting air flow.

Changing out my Front Bearings, and installing the Poly Mounts with some Syncromesh Fluid.

Not really an upgrade but just some good ol fashioned blank brembo rotors up front

Installing the Helica LSD Transmission that I bought of UrbanDork thanks Craig!!...

and yea we didn't have a cherry picker so we went to home depot and bought some supplies hehe works just fine!

Inside the Transmission/Open Differential Hole that came stock on my Beams Transmission. which means I don't have helical LSD.

New S54 Transmission with Fitted MRS Helical LSD inside, you see the difference!!
on a side note is that how the angle of the engine mounts go right?

Take a look at my custom made downpipe, since the car didnt come with the stock one. doesn't even have a flex pipe.

Condition of my Front Motor Mount, which wasn't that bad :

Future Mod 2 Post Spoiler, that i took from the 94 Celica thats now at the junkyard RIP OLD Celi

SwissFerdi
Wow, I'd rather part it here than see my Celi go to the junkyard, that's heart-breaking. In with the new, out with the old I guess. I like the progress, seems to be going smoothly. Best of luck.
BonzaiCelica
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Apr 18, 2011 - 12:28 PM) *
Wow, I'd rather part it here than see my Celi go to the junkyard, that's heart-breaking. In with the new, out with the old I guess. I like the progress, seems to be going smoothly. Best of luck.

I did part it out here and now that thread is closed. The car had been in my front yard for the past 4 months and it made the house look like crap...
njccmd2002
i dont see the difference in the trannys.
mkernz22
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Apr 19, 2011 - 8:45 PM) *

i second that.
S8S8
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Apr 20, 2011 - 10:53 AM) *
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Apr 19, 2011 - 8:45 PM) *

i second that.

The first one (non-LSD) has a little bar which run across the hole. The second one doesn't have the bar.
mkernz22
ohhh! I just thought that was the light / flash getting cut off haha :facepalm:
BonzaiCelica
ok update my helical LSD Transmission, timken wheel bearings and kirkausous motor mounts are installed. Hopefully I can get exhaust installed tomorrow!!! A quick question as regards to the gearing? From what I understood the gearing for USDM and JDM S54 transmission's are all the same right? I was only able to hit 85mph at 7,000 rpm which is unusual because i should be able to go close to 91mph in 3rd gear right??? Do you guys think I might need to recalibrate my speedometer??? heres is what my current setup looks like. Also what should my rpm be at while I'm going 80mph in 5th gear???

as you can see if have the USDM MPH Speedometer.

Gear Ratios for JDM S54:

3.285 * 4.176 = 2027.5 - 37 mph
1.960 * 4.176 = 1209.7 - 62 mph
1.322 * 4.176 = 815.9 - 91 mph
1.028 * 4.176 = 634.5 - 118 mph
0.820 * 4.176 = 506.1 - 147 mph
BonzaiCelica
I currently have a restrictive exhaust, I'm running 2.25inch from oem b-pipe, to 2 inch piping with no catalytic converter and stock 5sfe resonator, then to 1.75 inch piping before I go over the rear axle and to the stock gt muffler.

On another note I'm running 91 octane (which is low grade octane and its the highest we have here in california = 95 ron) fuel for the high compression engine. Its like running 88 octane in an s2000 that requires minimum amount of fuel to be at 91 octane. Beams run at its best on 93/94 octane = 100 Ron fuel. how about cleaning my fuel injectors professionally???? are they hard to take out I know they only charge about $50 to get them cleaned. I also know that the shop that cleans them will give you a before and after of how the injectors performed. Testing Fuel Pressure at the rail?

Second I cannot hear if my engine is knocking or not because I have a short ram intake. When I last took out my spark plugs they all seemed to be in good shape. I believe I have oem ones, but I'm going to buy a set of NGK Iridium Plugs within the next week to be on the safe side. I did however compression test all 4 cylinders and they were all perfect except for the exception of one cylinder that was at 190psi. 190psi is still pretty darn close to 198.7psi.

What other factors should I take into consideration, or am I being paranoid? When I do install my 57mm exhaust I will be going under the axle and the exhaust will be crush bent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.