Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on UK, Japanese and US Celica GT 94-96
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
G_man
Wassup all,

First and foremost would like to say hey to everyone on the forum. I am very new to this forum and am in need of some desperate advice on the engine specs for the UK, US and Japanese models of the Celica GT (not GT4) and what bhp each are. Im from London, England and these cars are very rare hence we get a lot of imports. The car is definately top of my list as the car I want...great looking cars, great interior spec, but dont know too much about the diiferences in engine.

I think that the american models have 134bhp and the UK is 170 odd bhp but am not sure if this is the case. Also what is the difference in engine if this is the case.

Many thanks in advance for any advice

G_man
doGGy
QUOTE (G_man @ Dec 5, 2003 - 6:37 AM)
Wassup all,

First and foremost would like to say hey to everyone on the forum. I am very new to this forum and am in need of some desperate advice on the engine specs for the UK, US and Japanese models of the Celica GT (not GT4) and what bhp each are. Im from London, England and these cars are very rare hence we get a lot of imports. The car is definately top of my list as the car I want...great looking cars, great interior spec, but dont know too much about the diiferences in engine.

I think that the american models have 134bhp and the UK is 170 odd bhp but am not sure if this is the case. Also what is the difference in engine if this is the case.

Many thanks in advance for any advice

G_man

Heeellllloooo, ang welcome to one of the best sites ever smile.gif

Yup, you are right about power rating on US GT (135 hp) and Euro or JDM GT's has more ( 170 - 185 hp). Engines are different in US and JDM GT's. USDM GT has 5s-FE (2.2 l F-head ) And JDM GT has 3S-GE (2.0l G-head). Some of UK GT's Has 3S-FE engine (2.0l F-head) and they are rated 130 hp (dont get this one cuz it is a economical engine like ST 7a-FE).

So thats all i can say, i think there will be more guys that will tell you more on SS-II and SS-III Celica modes that has BEAM VVti engines (rated somthere 195 hp or somthing) smile.gif

Good luck.
BenMMellor
hello bud - there's a uk site for celicas as well - www.celica-club.co.uk - so you can talk to people on both sites - 24hr forums woohoo !!

Good choice on the GT.. stock uk is 173/4 bhp.. don't discount imports though.. but make sure you get an SS2 or SS3... (ss1 was the lower powered of the 3)

I had a look nationally through autotrader a few days back - low counts of GT's at the moment.. but the Uk site has some for sale.. what sort of budget and how far are you willing to travel.. ?
G_man
Cheers for the reply peops.....I have a few cars in mind, the celica, prelude and rover coupe vvc but the one that I really wanna go for is the Celica, its exact to what i want, its rare, a coupe, looks good, quick and sporty and overall a great car...main prob is finding one.....plus with all the imports I want to make sure I get the right one....my budget is in the region of upto 5000 for a decent GT....just dont know a great deal about them...do u guys know if the Gt is a turbo or standard 2.0 NASP engine...if its NASP what makes it the 176 cos its pretty good :-)...I am willing to travel upto 80-100 miles if the car is worth it at the right price but all depends...look forward to speaking to y'all....by the way have u guys got pics of ur cars....

G_man
BenMMellor
QUOTE (G_man @ Dec 7, 2003 - 12:24 PM)
Cheers for the reply peops.....I have a few cars in mind, the celica, prelude and rover coupe vvc but the one that I really wanna go for is the Celica, its exact to what i want, its rare, a coupe, looks good, quick and sporty and overall a great car...main prob is finding one.....plus with all the imports I want to make sure I get the right one....my budget is in the region of upto 5000 for a decent GT....just dont know a great deal about them...do u guys know if the Gt is a turbo or standard 2.0 NASP engine...if its NASP what makes it the 176 cos its pretty good :-)...I am willing to travel upto 80-100 miles if the car is worth it at the right price but all depends...look forward to speaking to y'all....by the way have u guys got pics of ur cars....

G_man

I had a Rover Coupe - ditched it to get my Celica SR.

The GT is a NASP engine.. keep an eye on Autotrader there's usually a few around - where in the UK are you.. I'll keep an eye out in my area.
Aus
QUOTE (G_man @ Dec 7, 2003 - 7:24 PM)

G_man

i had to choose between a Prelude and celica, but i chose celica (Maybe because my cousin bought a Prelude before me and i didn't want to look like i copied him).. but im very happy with my celi.........oh an for £5k you should be able to get a decent 94 - 96 (M - P reg) UK GT with average miles.

good luck car hunting, but make sure you don't rush things, i went to see about 5 different celicas before i got mine.
G_man
Hey all,

Hi Ben, yeah I'm based in London so been looking around there...only probs is I definately wanna go for the Celica now but insurance giving me hassle cos my insurance company wont insure me on a GT although another will. I had an accident and am 3/4's of the way through my current policy. If i change I lose my no claims, if i stick with them in March i will get 2 years ncb, insurance on a ST is cheap but wanna get a GT. I really dont know what is the best option. I appreciate all ur guys help tho. What do u guys reckon for a 1.8 st, full spec including leather seats, black, 64,000 miles, n or p reg. 4195?.....am in dilemma, do i get a compromise car like an ST now and get GT in a year or 2 or do i buy a banger and try and get a GT in march :-s....
Simmo
Hi G_man,

GT everytime! wink.gif

Power is all important. As soon as you get used to the SR/ST you'll crave more power.

Simmo biggrin.gif
subsolo_21
If i were in ur situation and could go for the gt in a couple of months id hold out for it. I have the ST right now, but at the time I got it I didnt know much about celicas. The ST is a great reliable car and is good for gas mileage, but the GT is worth the wait if your looking for performance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.