Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5SFE bros, let's talk OIL
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Mycurse180

Gonna change my oil soon with spring around the corner, temperatures will be in the 30's-50's still for the next few months. What's the most suitable oil I should go with in my 145k mile 5SFE?

Also, which filters do you guys use?

I was on Jeepforum with my previous Jeep and it was made clear NEVER to use Fram filters as they're made of cardboard!
presure2
OEM filters, and the factory recommended 5-30 oil.
95celgt
i ALWAYS used fram on my 6gc's, never had a problem but now i wonder if thats what caused the insufficient lubrication and spun/ejected my rod bearing and blew the rod out of the block....
95wht6gc
I always use a Mobile 1 filter and Mobile 1 5w30 oil
SupraKid
Ive heard nothing but bad things about fram filters, i don't ever use them. I do have a 7a but i use 10-30 mobile 1 synthetic and a mobile 1 filter
4-eyed-freek
i used k&n oil filter(switched to oem though) and royal purple 5w-30. i have 355k on my 5s
Smaay
FRAM = Crap! if you google Fram filters you will find a site that shows how poorly they are made and they come apart. when the paper in teh filter comes apart is goes through your system and yes spins bearings or cloggs passages.

use OEM filters YZZ-F1 i believe is the filter used on both teh 5S and 7A now.
samir0189
Well, I'll be the black sheep.

I use fram filters. The Xtended guard ones. I change my oil every 7,000 mi, and sometimes 8 or 9,000 pending when I get the time. I have absolutely no problem with them, they seem fine. The oil stays clean for the entire duration, and the filter has an anti-drain back valve.

And I use Mobil 1 synthetic 10-40 or 15-50.
NYp8tBaller07
I use Fram High mileage oil filters and Valvoline full synthetic, mind you most oil in the US come from like 2 places and companies just put in their additives and there ya go, different brand.
Mycurse180

You guys need to stop using Fram oil filters unless you want real problems...
cyberblader1130
10w30 Mobil 1 Syntec + OEM filter.
NYp8tBaller07
Ive been doimg alot of research on oil filters and it seems mobile1 is very good as well as a few others, as far as oil goes I am still working on that
azian_advanced
i'm using royal purple 5w-30 now but my next oil change i'm going with 10w30 when the weather warms up. also i used to buy trd oil filters until they became discontinued last year so now i'm using fram xtragard or whatever it's called. i forgot about the negative reviews about fram until this thread popped up.. i'll be using oem from now on.
808celica
Mobil Uno products
stephen_lee
mobile 1 10-30 full synthetic for high mileage

OEM filter F1, the larger 4 cyl filter
captb
Never had problems with fram. Replace it with every oil change. Use mobil 1 synthetic oil.
blu94gt
Valvoline High-Mileage synthetic 5w30 oil
Supertech (walmart) oil filters

Used to buy Wix filters, but had just as good of luck with the cheap ones at Walmart, read somewhere that they are just rebranded filters and are pretty decent. Once spring really sets in going to change to 10w30 oil. Wouldn't waste the money on Mobil1 since the 5sfe isn't a performance motor.
stephen_lee
i use mobil1 as i never remember to change the oil on time....
richee3
I just use Castrol GTX in the Celica, and an STP filter. Fram scares me, but Valvoline scares me more. I've seen a study done with ball bearings, wire brushes, and different brands of oil and Valvoline by far performed the worst.
trdproven
Isn't there a difference with what type of oil you use is dependant upon the mileage or the climate?
95CelicaST
Wix filter and Castrol Syntec 10w30 because it doesn't get cold enough to need 5w30.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.