Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boost problems
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
str8thugginit4ya
Hey guys,

Before I begin with the problem, let me give you some background. I had a few problems with the 3S before where it just wasn't pulling as hard after 5K RPM. I changed the spark plugs to NGK's BKR7E's and it was running good for a while. I have a Greddy boost controller & I run the boost around 8-9lbs (A little above .5 bar) daily. Now sometimes when I'm feeling a little racy, I switch it to high boost where I have it set at around 15-16lbs (A little above 1 bar). Now when I switch the boost to High, the car started doing the same thing again (not pulling as hard around 5K RPM). Also, My boost gauge says that the boost is not going over 1 bar. It's staying around .9 and won't go over at all after it is finished building up. This only happens when I switch the boost to HIGH now. It's not feeling like the turbo is hesitating, but I'm no expert, what could this be? I was thinking of changing the spark plug wires to NGK 7mm and see if that would help.

-Thanks for your time, Ryan
presure2
When's the last time you did a tune up? (cap, rotor, wires, plugs)
str8thugginit4ya
QUOTE (presure2 @ Mar 22, 2011 - 3:03 PM) *
When's the last time you did a tune up? (cap, rotor, wires, plugs)

Sorry I took so long to reply. Just re-did plugs, but I believe the rest was done about 10,000 miles ago, give or take. I was planning to do wires as well. Should I save up to do a full tune up one shot, or check & see how it plays out with just the wires?

-Ryan
Smaay
do you have a wideband O2 sensor? you might be running really lean.
str8thugginit4ya
QUOTE (Smaay @ Mar 23, 2011 - 9:38 AM) *
do you have a wideband O2 sensor? you might be running really lean.

No, unfortunately I do not. I was thinking it might have had something to do with that, but then one of my friends, who has a LOT of extensive knowledge on Toyota's, said that it could be the with the spark plug wires. He was telling me that the guy before me put cheaper 5mm wires & that has to be upgraded regardless cause it's not good enough. I know, I'm kind of dumb for not posting this info in the first place, right?

-Ryan
SwissFerdi
Out of curiosity, is this Axel's former Celi?
presure2
2nd or 3rd gen?
either way, you shouldnt be lean @ 15-16psi, unless you have some other issue.

i would start with a complete tune up with OEM parts, (rotor, cap, and wires) and a fresh set of bkr7's.
str8thugginit4ya
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Mar 24, 2011 - 11:00 AM) *
Out of curiosity, is this Axel's former Celi?

Yes sir. Thanks Presure2, I guess I'll do a full tune up & see from there. Thanks guys for the help!

-Ryan

QUOTE (presure2 @ Mar 24, 2011 - 11:35 AM) *
2nd or 3rd gen?
either way, you shouldnt be lean @ 15-16psi, unless you have some other issue.

i would start with a complete tune up with OEM parts, (rotor, cap, and wires) and a fresh set of bkr7's.

Oh, and it's a 3rd gen. Plus, aren't some people running the stock turbo up to 18psi? That's crazy, is it safe to push the turbo that much?

-Thanks again, Ryan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.